6.5x55 Swede

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 6.5x55 Swede

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 5:47 pm

Midwestman wrote:i maybe be bias but i think the humble ol swede is the best round,i first bought mine when i was 19 and i'm 47 now,i've owned a heck a lot of guns and calibers,but as far i'm concerned the swede is my favourite and more accurate then anything i've owned,also dispatched every animal in oz with it from making paddock pizza on a rabbit,too taking a camel and buffalo with in the Territory used everything from 90gr too 156gr,and whatever's in the scope becomes history,and it's always my go too gun,except for that stupid sambar law in Victoria which is total BS,i've shot many with it in NSW and they drop just as well as when i use 30/06 across the border,i actually think the swede has slightly better penetration maybe because off the long thin bullet??? But cut a long story short I DO LOVE MY SWEDE.

+1000 :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Midwestman » 20 Aug 2018, 12:28 pm

Thanks BigRich,we know when we're on a great thing bro,i think the humble ol swede is very underated calibre in Australia,but we all can't be on the main stream hahaha :thumbsup: :drinks:
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 20 Aug 2018, 4:19 pm

Swede is good.

Not long ago, a 6.5x55 Tikka was my second choice of rifle: great calibre, great choice of projectiles, long throat chamber (for seating long projectiles), makes proper use of Tikka's "all-calibres-in-one" long action and magazine, and probably does everything a 308 can do to 500m and beyond. It also has a great heritage and you can double up your hunting/target rifle with a milsurp for service action rifle if you're that way inclined and make full use of all your brass and dies.

Two years ago, I would have bought one. But in that two years the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor has seen an explosion in the number of rifles, ammo, brass and projectiles available. I ran the ballistics and came to the conclusion the 6.5CM replicates the 6.5x55 but with less powder, better brass life and a short action.

In many ways, the 6.5CM is the modern 6.5 Swede. Just more popular with the Yanks :lol:
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 6:01 pm

Flyer wrote:Swede is good.

Not long ago, a 6.5x55 Tikka was my second choice of rifle: great calibre, great choice of projectiles, long throat chamber (for seating long projectiles), makes proper use of Tikka's "all-calibres-in-one" long action and magazine, and probably does everything a 308 can do to 500m and beyond. It also has a great heritage and you can double up your hunting/target rifle with a milsurp for service action rifle if you're that way inclined and make full use of all your brass and dies.

Two years ago, I would have bought one. But in that two years the popularity of the 6.5 Creedmoor has seen an explosion in the number of rifles, ammo, brass and projectiles available. I ran the ballistics and came to the conclusion the 6.5CM replicates the 6.5x55 but with less powder, better brass life and a short action.

In many ways, the 6.5CM is the modern 6.5 Swede. Just more popular with the Yanks :lol:

truth be known flyer, i could probably do everything with my 6.5 husky milsurp, a 22 and a shotty. but i had to buy me model 70 winnie in 6.5 when i saw it, and more toys are fun to a point. 6.5 creed is a modern 6.5 swede just like a 7mm 08 is a modern 7x57 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 20 Aug 2018, 10:15 pm

That's pretty much it. The 7x57 is a nice calibre, too.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics