What's everyone's favourite cartridge and why?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: What's everyone's favourite cartridge and why?

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 2:27 pm

i know one thing, i don't think i can talk to anyone who shoots a creedmore with a straight face ever again :lol: i reckon that 308 needs a lot of resizing but :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 2:46 pm

:D ya showing ya age gaza. knowing which movie that photo is from, i would have one thing to say to her. " zay 'ello to my liddle friend ......" :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 19 Aug 2018, 2:49 pm

bigrich wrote::D ya showing ya age gaza. knowing which movie that photo is from, i would have one thing to say to her. " zay 'ello to my liddle friend ......" :lol:

:lol: :lol: :clap:
"Say 'ello to my leetle fren, oh look, he's all grown up"
:lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 2:55 pm

shocking gaza shocking :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Aug 2018, 3:03 pm

Flyer wrote:
Stix wrote:Well Flyer...if you put it like that, id happily lube up & pass my expander ball through the neck of the 308 case...!!

That's all well and good if you can touch the sides mate, but she might seriously need some extra neck tension after all those other expander balls have been through her!

She is, after all, the 2nd most popular calibre out there . . . :lol: :

Ill touch the sides mate so you've no need to worry :allegedly: ..& yes apparently i am bragging...but i appreciate your concern :thumbsup:
And i only ever size once fired brass thats been polished up in the wet tumbler & de-crudded mate :thumbsup: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 5:54 pm

:D so what does a 557-450 look like ? queen victoria ? :o :lol: if i knew how to put up a photo i would ;) so what does 243 look like stix ? or 222 for that matter. 222 is not as wide at the bottom as 22-250 ....... :lol: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 19 Aug 2018, 6:12 pm

bigrich wrote::D so what does a 557-450 look like ? queen victoria ? :o :lol: if i knew how to put up a photo i would ;) so what does 243 look like stix ? or 222 for that matter. 222 is not as wide at the bottom as 22-250 ....... :lol: :thumbsup:

No mate...222 is smaller bolt face so best you stick to them little fella... :lol:
22-250 is same bolt face as 308 mate, so best you leave that size action to me... :thumbsup:

I cant put up 375 or bigger or i might be arrested. :?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 6:19 pm

Stix wrote:
bigrich wrote::D so what does a 557-450 look like ? queen victoria ? :o :lol: if i knew how to put up a photo i would ;) so what does 243 look like stix ? or 222 for that matter. 222 is not as wide at the bottom as 22-250 ....... :lol: :thumbsup:

No mate...222 is smaller bolt face so best you stick to them little fella... :lol:
22-250 is same bolt face as 308 mate, so best you leave that size action to me... :thumbsup:

I cant put up 375 or bigger or i might be arrested. :?

so what's a 500 nitro look like ? rebel wilson ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i nominate jennifer lawrence for 222 . got a nicely proportioned case :P :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 6:29 pm

Stix wrote:Ill touch the sides mate so you've no need to worry :allegedly: ..& yes apparently i am bragging...but i appreciate your concern :thumbsup:
And i only ever size once fired brass thats been polished up in the wet tumbler & de-crudded mate :thumbsup: :lol:

Poor old me - I have to resort to the vibrating ultrasonic cleaner :cry:
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 7:08 pm

OK, I admit it - I'm gay (I'm not really - honest!). But I took my 6.5mm manbun out today to do some load testing at 100m, and this is what I came back with. 4 shots into less than half an inch. So I may be a gay little manbun, but at least I'm a happy one :lol:

creed.jpg
creed.jpg (154 KiB) Viewed 7687 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Aug 2018, 7:32 pm

Nice shooting Flyer, but what happened to the fifth shot?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 8:11 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Nice shooting Flyer, but what happened to the fifth shot?

I usually shoot 4-shot groups when I test load. It's more indicative than 3 shots, and if they shoot good into 4, they usually shoot good into 5. The main problems I have with 5-shot groups when load developing is they use up a lot of brass and projectiles if you want to cover a bit of ground (I shot 6x 4-shot groups today from 42.8-44.8gr 2209 with 123 Lapua Scenars); it takes longer waiting for the barrel to cool down; and I often fudge the fifth shot anyway as it's hard to shoot precisely and consistently for strings on end. Once I find something that works, I start to load around it and shoot a few more to ensure its repeatable.

It's not easy removing the human factor (was it the load, or did I pull that?) as well as the wind in trying to find something that works.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by SCJ429 » 19 Aug 2018, 8:41 pm

Fair enough, I thought it might be a Flyer. Do you have some sort of wind flag when you test? It can help cut down some errors.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 8:49 pm

yup 45-70's a got a real nice case alright. i wont judge ya 6.5 manbun too harshly .go the 6.5's . here's some of my better 6.5 x55 handloads, 6.5 brother :D . these were shot on a moderately windy day at 100. shot my 22 hornet the same day and POI moved 70 mm to the right with that ! (damn i wish i knew how to post "case" pics. would post kate beckinsale from " van helsing" movie. do yourself a favor and google ;) ) :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_0128[1].JPG
120 noslers and 2209.
IMG_0128[1].JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 7279 times
IMG_0129[1].JPG
6.5x55 model 70 140 sst's and re22 powder.if you own a swede give this powder a try. good enough for hunting. might do some more work on it later
IMG_0129[1].JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 7279 times
IMG_0130[1].JPG
out of fullwood 1941 husqvana. more development to follow. this is a starter load in re22
IMG_0130[1].JPG (1.32 MiB) Viewed 7279 times
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 19 Aug 2018, 10:11 pm

what rifle is ya 6.5 anyway flyer ? that's a good group :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Flyer » 19 Aug 2018, 11:17 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Fair enough, I thought it might be a Flyer. Do you have some sort of wind flag when you test? It can help cut down some errors.

Yeah, but it's at 200m, so all I've got at 100m to judge are some leafy branches, lol!

Here's the rest of the target from today. Yes, they call me "Flyer" :lol: Indeed, some of these were looking promising until the fourth shot, as you can see. But 43.2gr was the standout on the day. And I'm not joking - every flyer was on the fourth shot, lol.

bigrich, it's a Sako A7 Roughtech Pro in black and stainless. I'm not usually a big fan of synthetic stocks, but it's a nicely balanced rifle.

CMtarget.jpg
CMtarget.jpg (585.74 KiB) Viewed 7259 times
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 4:43 am

:lol: good on ya flyer. Sako is a quality bit of gear. For accuracy tests for hunting purposes, I only bother with three shots. After that anything in the field is long gone anyway. Except goats. They just seem to amble off. That fourth shot flyer would be annoying but. Rifles are individuals at times and do funny things. In my 6.5 model 70 after three shots POI begins to move around anti clockwise in a circle as the barrel heats up. I put 10 shots through it once just to see the results. Put a heavier barrel on ya Sako if it annoys you too much
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2018, 4:44 am

Thanks for the late beckinsale post :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oryx Pit » 20 Aug 2018, 12:58 pm

Flyer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Nice shooting Flyer, but what happened to the fifth shot?

I usually shoot 4-shot groups when I test load. It's more indicative than 3 shots, and if they shoot good into 4, they usually shoot good into 5. The main problems I have with 5-shot groups when load developing is they use up a lot of brass and projectiles if you want to cover a bit of ground (I shot 6x 4-shot groups today from 42.8-44.8gr 2209 with 123 Lapua Scenars); it takes longer waiting for the barrel to cool down; and I often fudge the fifth shot anyway as it's hard to shoot precisely and consistently for strings on end. Once I find something that works, I start to load around it and shoot a few more to ensure its repeatable.

It's not easy removing the human factor (was it the load, or did I pull that?) as well as the wind in trying to find something that works.

Nice shooting Flyer. Those 123 Scenars can be temperamental buggers. Shoot good when dialed in though.
What MV you getting with that load?
Oryx Pit
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Flyer » 20 Aug 2018, 2:00 pm

I can only guess, as I don't have a a chrono, but most of the load data I've collected tells me it should be in the 2850fps range. The actual load is 123gr Lapua Scenar, 43.2gr of 2209, Lapua small primer cases, CCI BR4 primers, seat 2.850", or 0.015" off the lands.

That was the low node. There was a higher node at 44.4gr that looked like it might have potential, and I went as high as 44.8gr with no pressure signs. But as I'm looking for a target load out to 200m for Field Rifle, I'm happy with accuracy at the lower MV. It will be a bit easier on the barrel, and I plan to put a few shots through this rifle. Hornady 143 EDL X is the next projectile to try.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Mick280 » 20 Aug 2018, 4:27 pm

Flyer wrote:45-70? That's been around since about 1 million yeas BC, hasn't it?

It has!!
Still shoots and still gaining popularity!!
50m with buckhorn sights!!
405 gn Casts at 1400 fps!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 6356 times
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by John » 08 Apr 2020, 8:27 am

I or way find my self going picking up my tikka .243 it shoots so good out of the case every time. They have more nock down power than a lot of people give them credit for. I’ve used it all over Australia and love it even know I’ve got bigger and better can’t help but like it for what it is
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 09 Apr 2020, 6:10 pm

.303 ... because.. ANZACS yo....

nuff said..
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2020, 2:58 am

Never had one but I have always liked the idea of a 2506 Sounds like it would have heaps of knock down and shoot quite flat
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

well, old post, i still love my 222 and 6.5x55 winchesters , but after all this covid 19 stuff is over i'm looking forward to picking up my other model 70 from swans . i've had her rebarrelled to 358 win. it was originally a 243 that i bought as a project rifle for this coversion . i got sidetracked and tried 243 but it was a odd caliber for my uses and seemed much more affected by muzzle velocity generated heat than other calibers . anyway, 358 can shoot 180 to 225 grain projectiles with very good energy transfer out to 200-250 yards (225 game kings go further apparently) , i can utilise 358 hp pistol bullets for close in pest control, and i reckon it would prove useful pushing 250-275 grain lead projectiles as well . so quite a versatile caliber. and it's very easy making brass from 308 . so from lead pistol bullet plinking loads to boar flattening power ,and bigger , sambar , camel , etc , i reckon it's gunna become one of my favorites .

i've got plenty of time to refinish the stock and make brass at the moment...... :roll:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 10 Apr 2020, 1:41 pm

I think in my case the gun that the calibre is in effects my choice somewhat. The top choice would have to be the 308, but I find myself taking out the 243 probably more often as I dont go after the Sambar deliberately as much as I do other pests. The 6.5 cm would probably be the next gun down the list then a 223. If I am just out for some plinking then the 223 would be the first choice either in pump or bolt. Backyard offhand practice is the 22LR and even for other positions on of the 22LR is still going to be the first choice. However I dont buy the big buckets of cheap 22 I probably should buy one just to play with but how do you know if you are improving with your training if the ammo is giving a false indication?

One gun for everything is never a good choice if you have the money, time and space then a set of 18 like golf clubs is the way to go. Not saying that 18 is enough but a good starting point.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Fred Smith » 17 Apr 2020, 6:46 pm

My go to is my 22-250 for general vermin control. However, I prefer my 6.5 swede. Currently doing load testing with 129gn SST's. 143gn ELD-X shots 0.7 inches at 200 meters at Ripley range. Took it vermin hunting a while ago and killed everything out to the edge of the spotlight. I just love using it. I bought my Carl Gustaf in1990. Best thing I ever did. Used to go vermin shooting on the wheat and would get the"Oh, that's to far away"! Bang....Thud. 6.5 to the rescue. :D

Ian
Mine...Brno Md2 .22
Voere 22mag
Ruger American 22-250 Stainless (Gorne)
6.5 x 55 Swede (1902 CG)
6.5 x 55 Sauer 100
Howa Varmit Stainless Camo 22-250
Want..30-06
Fred Smith
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 17 Apr 2020, 7:09 pm

Crikey it's hard to pick one but I use 22-250 for dogs real good, also 25-06 was good on dogs to and larger animals , i'm growing fond of the 7 rem mag but to be honest I like them all and would have them all if I could afford them
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 17 Apr 2020, 9:56 pm

I have recently thinned the herd somewhat on have settled on the following - 7.62x39 , 243 Win, 270 Win and 308 Win.
The 7.62 x39 and 243 are my dedicated goat hunting outfits and the 270/308 for deer .
I had the 25-06 and 30-06 but these went down the road as the 270 does what the 2506 does (and more) and the 308 is all i need in a 30-cal out to 300m ......leave the long range exploits to the experts out there!!

Of all the for calibre i have - the 270 is the pick !

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 17 Apr 2020, 10:30 pm

Interesting that youve kept all the short action cartridges solarpak, & yet kept the "inbetweener" in the 06 based cartridges & sprooked it as your fav... :)
Just an observation... :)

Id have thought that the .270 would be equally successful as the 308 out to 300..especially here in SA where we dont have min cal for given species...(well atleast not when hunting privately. :unknown:

But i dont know that from experience as ive never owned an 06 based cartridge...

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics