New Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Swede?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

New Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Swede?

Post by PaddyT » 02 Sep 2018, 12:28 pm

after some thoughts, am looking at a new centerfire and am tossing up between the Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or the Tikka Varmit in 6.5 Swede, this will mainly get used as a fallow/pig gun and mainly walk and stalk (I am 6'2 and dont think that at 8lbs either of these is overly heavy). Reason for not really looking at other brands is I am a lefty and Tikka seem to have the best range of cacky handers- am interested in peoples thoughts, am not reloading (yet) so cost/availability of hunting ammo does come into it)

cheers
PaddyT
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: New Rifle

Post by scoobs » 02 Sep 2018, 1:48 pm

aussie edition CTR is nice :)
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 2:56 pm

You won't go wrong with either, a friend has the Varmint in 6.5x55 and it is effective hunting rig. All the other 6.5s would be very effective as well. I don't find the weight of the Varmint a problem. If I was struggling with weight there are plenty of things I can take out of my day pack.
SCJ429
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 3:09 pm

Of all the factory LH rifles, I don't see any of them out shooting you with the CTR or the Varmint. The only thing I don't like about them is the stock but there are plenty of alternatives if you cannot live with the Tupperware.
SCJ429
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 02 Sep 2018, 4:30 pm

Mate I just recently purchased a 6.5 Manbun and was originally getting a Lithgow however after the delay I started looking at others. I was tossing up between a couple of rifles. I really wanted the Tikka CTR, however one of the forum members suggested the Sako A7 Roughtech Pro, which I liked and have subsequently purchased. As for caliber, the difference between the two 6.5 rounds you mentioned I think is negligible. Plenty of forum chat on which is better.
Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it!!
JimTom
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Sep 2018, 7:16 pm

The Sako A7 is a step up from the Tikka, very similar design in some respects. From memory it uses the recoil lug design from the 75 series. I see this design as superior to the 85 which has a very complicated lug. I also prefer the single set trigger on the Tikka. My 85 has double set trigger and sometimes after setting it forward it comes back to the mid position without letting the firing pin strike the primer. I then have to pull the trigger on the heavy normal setting. I see the Tikka varmint as the bargain of the range and would recommend it over any other factory rifle.
SCJ429
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 02 Sep 2018, 7:25 pm

Mate as far as price goes, the Sako was circa $100 more than the CTR. Both nice rifles mate, can’t go wrong really. Either rifle in either caliber will be a good rig.
JimTom
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 02 Sep 2018, 7:31 pm

Ruger American Predator is available in left-handed 6.5 Creedmoor.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 02 Sep 2018, 7:50 pm

I have a t3 CTR in 308w - it’s easily my most accurate rifle, and points superbly - it’s a bit on the heavy side for trekking though - doable, but not advisable. It’s just about right for offhand however - I hate using a light floaty rifle for standing offhand, feels like trying to precisely control a helium balloon
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Sep 2018, 8:17 pm

the tikka's are the go :thumbsup:
marksman
Major
Major

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 02 Sep 2018, 8:54 pm

marksman wrote:the tikka's are the go :thumbsup:

Yes this is also true. Have a T3x and it is a tack driver. Quality straight out of the box.
JimTom
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by PaddyT » 03 Sep 2018, 12:17 pm

Pretty set on a Tikka - Sako dont have enough lefties, really after some commentry on the two calibres, i realise theres not a huge difference in performance once its left the barrel but some insights would be great.Ultimately I think im a bit biased towards the Creedmoor (mainly because it seems to be gaining popularity very quickly which means better ammo price/availability ), i think at some point i will start reloading but would rather spend the coin on a new rifle at this point rather than the reloading kit.
PaddyT
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 03 Sep 2018, 1:40 pm

Mate have a read of this thread. Plenty more like it discussing the differences between the two.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9132
JimTom
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by PaddyT » 03 Sep 2018, 2:45 pm

Not much in it really, cost of Cm ammo seems a bit better, hmm decisions, decisions!
PaddyT
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 03 Sep 2018, 4:18 pm

Mate I tossed up between he two as well. At the end of the day there is very little between them ballistically. Short versus long action, one is reasonably new compared to the other. Apart from that mate I chose Creedmoor because I was originally wanting a Lithgow LA102 which had just announced the 6.5CM. Now that the Lithgow is no longer an option, I would have happily had a 6.5x55 but I had already purchased brass and dies.
JimTom
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Re: New Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Swed

Post by Flyer » 04 Sep 2018, 2:42 am

I just had a look, and it appears they don't make the A7 in a lefty.

I've got a manbun and picked up a couple of boxes of Federal 140gr softpoint ammo for $30 a box to try out and it shoots really well. But I reload and that's the main reason I went for a Creed over the Swede. The Creedmoor is a more efficient round, but you can get the 6.5x55 to go as fast or even a little faster if you load it to modern pressures.

At least with a 6.5x55 you get to use the full length Tikka action and magazine. If you ever decide to get a milsurp, plenty of those around in 6.5x55, too.

I'd say six-and-half of one and half-a-dozen-and-a-half of the other. The manbun is definitely more popular in the US, and so you can expect a lot more in the way of factory ammo and brass to come out for it. You can also buy excellent factory match ammo for it, but it's expensive.
Flyer
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Flyer » 04 Sep 2018, 2:46 am

SCJ429 wrote:My 85 has double set trigger and sometimes after setting it forward it comes back to the mid position without letting the firing pin strike the primer. I then have to pull the trigger on the heavy normal setting.

Yes, I discovered that, too. Especially on the bench. If you pull the set trigger too softly, it doesn't go off. So I backed my main trigger off until it was just engaging the spring and got it down to just over a pound. I don't use the set trigger anymore. I tried a lighter spring, but it wasn't any lighter than the factory spring once you back it right off as above.
Flyer
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: New Tikka CTR in 6.5 manbun or Tikka Varmint in 6.5 Swed

Post by in2anity » 04 Sep 2018, 9:08 am

FWIW, in theory a longer action has more flex than a short action. In theory.
The economist's job is to explain what has happened in the past.
in2anity
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics