6mm brx whats everybody thoughts

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

6mm brx whats everybody thoughts

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 19 Jan 2014, 12:10 pm

I'm going to build a 6mm BRX.

Just wondering if anybody has had anything to do with one?

Only want it for spot lighting rifle and doe shooting.

I would of gone for a dasher but son is building 1 of those and we want different ammo as not to get mixed up.

Other project is 338 edge or 338 rum not sure yet but action and barrel should be here this month.

Oldboy 7mm Dakota.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Re: 6mm brx whats everybody thoughts

Post by Chronos » 19 Jan 2014, 9:47 pm

I'd be concerned about it loading out of a magazine if that's your goal. Also brass can be expensive, particularly if you loose it in the dark

The other thing is that while the BR derivatives can be superbly accurate (a lot of which they gain through extendive case and load prep as well as heavy match barrels and tight chambers) give away quite a bit of velocity to the .243.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 20 Jan 2014, 7:30 am

It's definitely a nice cartridge.

The extra few grains you can fit in the case really helps ramp up the velocity of the for flat shooting heavier pills.

A fair bit of effort forming that brass though for the gain...

Not knocking it, but just for doe shooting I'd probably go with an off the shelf calibre for the convenience.

But that's me, if you've got the time/inclination to work with it then go for it.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by shazz » 20 Jan 2014, 9:22 am

A mate of mine was trying to offload a set of Redding 6mm BRX dies if that's any use to you? I can ask if he's still got them.

He bought to start a 6mm BRX project too bug had other stuff come up and had to can the project :(
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Aster » 20 Jan 2014, 10:38 am

SendIt wrote:The extra few grains you can fit in the case really helps ramp up the velocity of the for flat shooting heavier pills.

It's about 5 more grains if I remember right.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Aster » 20 Jan 2014, 10:42 am

There are a couple of decent reads on accurateshooter (if you haven't found them already)

First Time’s a Charm with 6BRX

The 6mm BRX - Myth-Busting with Bob Crone

Myth Busters II – Bob Crone’s 6mm BRX
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Chronos » 20 Jan 2014, 11:29 am

In all honesty I can't see how a 6 BR, dasher, BRX, DX etc can ever come close to matching a .243 or even 6mm Remington.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 20 Jan 2014, 5:19 pm

shazz wrote:A mate of mine was trying to offload a set of Redding 6mm BRX dies if that's any use to you? I can ask if he's still got them.

He bought to start a 6mm BRX project too bug had other stuff come up and had to can the project :(

Thanks for that pm me with a price
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by shazz » 20 Jan 2014, 5:25 pm

Sure mate, I'll speak to him in the next day or two and PM you.
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 20 Jan 2014, 5:49 pm

Thanks for the replies boys.

My son has a 6mm x 47 at the moment and loves it, great accuracy and good legs as well.

But we like trying new cals, ps the last 2 build for me or the wife will kill me. The specs on the BRX look very impressive so I will give it a go and I intend on running 105 Bergers, so will have stiller action , jewel trigger, manners mcl stock and 1 in 8 twist no 5 fluted Hart barrel 24 inch finished. Not sure on bottom metal yet maybe AI and centre feed mag or hs gear.

Hopefully can get it to feed with case being a little bit longer to the shoulder. We do have an annealer which we have found great for improving long range accuracy and es. Not looking to match 243 but get great accuracy with good distance and light recoil for hanging out the window of the 4x4 and stalking fallow does or crunching them in the head up 500 yards.

Some of the wild cat cartridges have a lot to other over standard calibres, 7mm Dakota is off its head for accuracy and fps.

180gr Bergers at 3220 fps and can push over 3000 if I want to, but backed off to 3200 with great accuracy.

Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by reddog » 20 Jan 2014, 5:56 pm

Must be a pretty good spotlight to see 500m let alone hit what your aiming for ? :roll:
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 20 Jan 2014, 6:10 pm

Ha Ha. Read it properly, I said stalking which I do in the day, not in the night.

ps new h i d s 9 inch power beams would give 500 yards a nudge on flat land.

Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by reddog » 20 Jan 2014, 6:21 pm

Sorry putting words in your post , so you stalk them with your 4x4 ? :D
reddog
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Monty » 20 Jan 2014, 8:17 pm

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:180gr Bergers at 3220 fps and can push over 3000 if I want to, but backed off to 3200 with great accuracy.

Only 3200fps?

Geez. That'll hardly do any damage at all :P
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 21 Jan 2014, 4:39 pm

Yeah Monty, They do up set the old fallow.

Pro cal built the rifle and has done a great job, my son has 1 as well and when he picked his up from Victoria he met up with a couple of mates from another forum and went to the range on the Saturday for some load development and to see how this new cal would preform the load the smith gave him was 78.6gr of 2225 and 180gr Bergers, when chronied it was travelling at 3310 they all thought that was to hot but left it and lined it in.

Next day they headed out for a Sambar shoot ,the boys first Sambar shoot. He shot a little 20 inch stag at 671 yards and put it down 1st shot and back home to Tassie that night wrapped.He has returned to Vic since then with a mate from over here and his mate shot a 29 inch Sambar with the boys 338 snipetac at 765 yards his 1st also. Both tin arses.

Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Apollo » 21 Jan 2014, 5:29 pm

If you are thinking about anything else from ProCal I'd get in quick if it's not too late. Peter VM is retiring and has already sold a mile of equipment and supplies.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 21 Jan 2014, 6:10 pm

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:He shot a little 20 inch stag at 671 yards and put it down 1st shot and back home to Tassie that night wrapped.

I can imagine.

Sambar on his first hunt and a hell of a shot to boot.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 21 Jan 2014, 6:58 pm

Peter has retired but has trained a new guy, that a threw of my buddies had rifles built buy and his attention to detail and builds are great. So he will be building mine when all the parts get here. Actions should be here this month, already have stocks and jewel triggers and barrel for 338 should be here mid feb. 6mm should be March. Have a couple to sell to make way for these in the safe.
6.5 creedmoor custom shoots great and 223 hs pro 2000 also shoots great.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Fry » 22 Jan 2014, 8:44 am

If you don't mind me asking Oldboy, how much is the build expected to cost?
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 22 Jan 2014, 12:08 pm

Fry wrote:If you don't mind me asking Oldboy, how much is the build expected to cost?

+1 from me if it's cool.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 22 Jan 2014, 4:28 pm

About $ 4100.00 for 6mm BRX with reamer
About $4400.00 for 338 edge with reamer and terminator T3 break
I do my own bedding and pillar installation my self.
Sounds a lot of money but you do get a better set up than a factory rifle and you shoot better and more consistent groups.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by steyroy » 23 Jan 2014, 8:23 am

It does sound like a lot, but I suppose it can last you a life time so over all...

Better to get what you want from the get go then buy something cheaper and sell it at a loss later only to upgrade to what you wanted in the first place.
Tikka T3 Battue in .308 Win
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223 Rem
CZ 455 Special in .17 HMR
steyroy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 23 Jan 2014, 10:48 am

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:About $ 4100.00 for 6mm BRX with reamer
About $4400.00 for 338 edge with reamer and terminator T3 break
I do my own bedding and pillar installation my self.
Sounds a lot of money but you do get a better set up than a factory rifle and you shoot better and more consistent groups.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota

Next time you compete with the BRX at 500 post up a few results.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Manimal » 23 Jan 2014, 11:07 am

Warrigul wrote:Next time you compete with the BRX at 500 post up a few results.

This right here.

Gots to see some groups ;)
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 23 Jan 2014, 7:00 pm

Warrigal
I dont shoot comp but we have a property down here which is good for long range so we set up some targets at different ranges and have some fun but serious fun without the club scene.
Have been in clay and fishing clubs for many years and it has worn thin with me with all the bickering and back biting that goes on .
My son is quite good at long range shooting and has been taught by some one in Victoria that is one of the best, that cracks quite a few Samber a year at some good ranges. Some people on this site would know him but I wont name him.
The rifle hasnt been built yet but when It is I will happily post some results up but some people on this site seem to think that 500 yards is out of reach as I did before I started to try for my self and watch the people that do this and well beyond 500 yards.
Its like people that think Long range hunting/shooting is not hunting that s there opinion and they should keep it to them selves.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 24 Jan 2014, 1:13 pm

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:Warrigal

Its like people that think Long range hunting/shooting is not hunting that s there opinion and they should keep it to them selves.

I may not support their opinion but they are free to express it regardless of your thoughts.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bark » 24 Jan 2014, 1:32 pm

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:I will happily post some results up but some people on this site seem to think that 500 yards is out of reach...

Huh? So what?

Let em, post your pictures in the mean time once you've got em :D
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldboy 7mm Dakota » 24 Jan 2014, 4:51 pm

Warrigal
That s what I mean Warrigal
People in the shooting game should stand united as 1 not thinking the way they do things is better than the others
This is what brings down clubs and political parties as we have seen over the years.
So if we all stand together we will only get stronger.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Oldboy 7mm Dakota
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 24 Jan 2014, 5:50 pm

Oldboy 7mm Dakota wrote:Warrigal
That s what I mean Warrigal
People in the shooting game should stand united as 1 not thinking the way they do things is better than the others
This is what brings down clubs and political parties as we have seen over the years.
So if we all stand together we will only get stronger.
Oldboy 7mm Dakota

If someone wants to air an opinion I want to hear it, I don't really see what that has to do with shooters unity.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Antie » 25 Jan 2014, 3:48 pm

Warrigul wrote:If someone wants to air an opinion I want to hear it, I don't really see what that has to do with shooters unity.

A lot of people seem to confuse "unity" with "agree with everything I think".

If you don't agree with all their views exactly they think you're "against them".
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics