6mm br or dasher etc

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

6mm br or dasher etc

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Oct 2018, 7:20 pm

I was looking at a couple of links posted here, re accurate shooter and 6mmbr and got an interest in 6mmbr, then looked at the 6 dasher (specifically) I had a couple of questions. No not wanting the 6mm man bug on steroids. I been thinking of rebarrel a gun in either 6br or 6dasher. Specifically in 1:8 twist, unless someone thinks 1:10 would suit better. Anyway have a few questions.

1) Anyone here run either?
2) For ranges of 300-600m is the dasher actually any better than 6br.
3) I read a 6br barrel can be changed to dasher by just a reamer (working on the throat) if so does that mean the life of the barrel can be increased buy changing to dasher later on.
4) only running 30odd grains of powder i expect the life of the barrel to be reasonable (better than 2-3000 rounds) it's that correct?
5) I read on older threads on ozfclass that hornady zmax 105gr, berger's 107 do well in the longer distance, what are the current 105-107gr projectiles that are recomended.

I suppose where else can I ask this question,
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: 6mm br or dasher etc

Post by marksman » 23 Oct 2018, 8:28 pm

1)yes
2)yes
3)sort of
4)yes
5)berger 105gr and sierra 100gr pro hunter is what I use

for ranges of 300-600 the dasher probably has the most records its where it starts to shine
rechambering a br to dasher is a fairly simple job, your smith should knock an inch off each end and start again, but it should be done before the barrel is shot out
once its dead its dead, the reason to take an inch off the muzzle is to get rid of the fish mouthing and the reason to take an inch off the chamber is to get a fresh start
the dasher is very easy to reload for and super accurate
powder choice is adi 2208, br4 primer, and say the berger 105gr bullet, 1 in 8" twist
here is a write up on Peter Van Meurs who is a dasher fanatic/benchrest shooter/gun smith and still holds records at eagle park little river using the dasher
http://www.500mflyshooter.com.au/index. ... van-meurs/
you would not be disappointed with either
this is mine
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Oct 2018, 7:17 am

The straight BR still wins its share of competitions out to 1000 yards, an improved case has a theoretical advantage in smaller wind displacement. Don't expect to get long life out of your barrel, if you want to keep it shooting in the twos your barrel life may only be around 1500 rounds.

Like Marksman said, the Berger 105 is the way to go, I have had some good results with SMK 107s when Bergers are unavailable. You should run a 1:8, the 1:10 will not get the job done.

If you want to set your barrel back you may have to do it earlier than you are thinking, speak to your gunsmith before you shoot more than 1000 rounds if you want to do this. You will find that you are too late if you wait until the barrel starts to go off.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by juano86 » 24 Oct 2018, 7:20 am

Something else to consider (i went down this path also) is the good ol' .243!
6mm projectiles with that extra bit of velocity are good out to 1000yrs and still have manageable recoil etc.
Brass and components are readily available and its generally a pretty cheap caliber to run.

I have a 1:10 twist 24" factory barrel currently, but i will rebarrel to a 1:8 when the pocket money allows. Im currently shooting 95gr berger VLD hunting with 2209 quite well at 1000yrd. getting the faster twist, ill be able to step up to the heavier pills.

6x47 was another i looked at, but the .243 is holding its own with half the dickin' around. They get the bad wrap of having a short barrel life, however i dont mind as i am planning on a rebarrel to faster twist and probably .243AI or the SuperLR cartridges which tend to have less throat erosion.

All the little 6mm's are so close together, i dont think one would be a better choice over another, it comes down to the Indian - not the arrow.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Oct 2018, 11:20 am

Thanks, the standard barrel on the gun is ~1:8 twist 243w. But was thinking of complicating my life.

So now looking at it dasher is better, but it will kill the barrel faster (for me acceptable is 0.5-0.75moa eqv As we can easily get factory barrels that will do 1moa), I have no plans for fclass shooting right now and little river I am limited to 500m anyway, so I think I'll go back to 6br option.

For me the complication of fire forming, with harder to find dies and les barrel life added to my awesome natural ability to fk most things up. Might make 6br a good option than.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Oct 2018, 11:53 am

Ohh one more thing, where can I get a full length and seating die, locally or internationally. Never know if Sinclair international post to australia, or do I go through brownells aus, any other shop?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by juano86 » 24 Oct 2018, 12:23 pm

Ziad wrote:Ohh one more thing, where can I get a full length and seating die, locally or internationally. Never know if Sinclair international post to australia, or do I go through brownells aus, any other shop?

Whidden gunworks make some pretty good gear, i think they are even available thru brownells AU (If you dont mind a wait)
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Oct 2018, 12:50 pm

BRT has all the gear for 6br and dasher
http://brtshooterssupply.com.au/categor ... hings.html
what SCJ429 says about keeping your barrel shooting in the two's expecting around 1500 shots is a good guestimate,
I have seen the best presision from a barrel gone in 400-600 shots but that's not to say the barrel is no good, still shoots just not like it did
but if you read that artical on Peter Van Meures he is over 4000 shots on his latest barrel and still shooting 500 fly competitively with it
you will be very happy with a 6mm br :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Oct 2018, 2:09 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Btw what do you use the 6br for marksman?
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Oct 2018, 6:02 pm

Thanks for posting the link Marksman, some great information there.

I also have a 6mm BR in a hunting rifle with a 1:14 twist, it shoots 60 to 70 grain projectiles very well out to 300, great varmint rifle. Also consider a 7mm or 30 BR as a hunting caliber, very efficient and accurate. Far cooler than the vanilla 308.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 24 Oct 2018, 6:04 pm

no no no
mine is a 6mm dasher, a varminter
I shoot everything from long range rabbits to fallow deer with it, all head shooting
because of how this rifle turned out I had the 22 dasher built
this 6mm dasher is a laser beam, chambered with a ptg 1000 yard 6mm dasher blue box reamer
check out this 6mm dasher shooting from D Moran
www.tapatalk.com/groups/practicalrifler ... t2526.html
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Oct 2018, 6:19 pm

@#$%%#@@ dasher varmint gun..... lol... is it nearly as cheep to run as a 223 .... but more accurate.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Oct 2018, 6:37 pm

A friend has a 22 Dasher, it does extreme damage when used for brain shots. Very messy.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2018, 9:23 am

the 6mm dasher is cheap to run and can reach right out there
this is a 5 shot sighting group I shot at 120 out of the car window that I did before culling roos

I've found the 55gr zmax projectiles in the 22 dasher to be good for head shooting, but it can get messy, sometimes the head disappears on rabbits
true red mist :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Oct 2018, 12:59 pm

Mate just noticed the 105 bergersen come in hunting, targets, hybrids and vld. Which one is better
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Oct 2018, 6:06 pm

I use the hunting projectiles in the 6mm dasher and my 6.5x284
they are the same shape as the target projectiles but are made to expand better
I use the hybrid in my 30-06 with great results on the sambar, I've had a few bang flop shots so far but I am neck/head shooting
lets just say I like bergers :thumbsup:

here is a photo of my 6mm dasher case with 105gr berger, a 6mm br case, a 22 dasher and a 22 br case

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 25 Oct 2018, 9:17 pm

I was happy to read you are sticking with the straight 6BR. For pure accuracy work I can’t think of an easier way to get to 600m.

Mine was a Hart LV gun that with careful initial prep shot dozens of great scores. First time at an F class rNge the gun shot the highest score of the day and it shot sub 1” at 300m almost every time out.

I have lots of stuff here from when I sold it including new Lap brass and Sierra 107gr pills. I’ll build another one day

Chronos.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Oct 2018, 10:14 pm

Well apparently some ppl who have stocked up on thousands of the berger 6mm projectiles mean none of the bigger shops have em, and my local lgs guy hasn't even heard of berger (well he's more into hunting animals than paper). Anyone know any source currently have em, maybe I ring around tomorrow, not that there is big hurry the gun be ready for 2 months approx
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 25 Oct 2018, 10:29 pm

Ziad wrote:Well apparently some ppl who have stocked up on thousands of the berger 6mm projectiles mean none of the bigger shops have em, and my local lgs guy hasn't even heard of berger (well he's more into hunting animals than paper). Anyone know any source currently have em, maybe I ring around tomorrow, not that there is big hurry the gun be ready for 2 months approx

That’s exactly how I ended up with 1000 Sierras. Ran out of Bergers and was 2 months away from seeing them again :thumbsdown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Oct 2018, 10:38 pm

Lol, I got 2000 optimus hbc 155 gr projectiles. That will keep my ruger running for some of years. And 600 of the 140gr rdf 6.5mm.

s**t I need more powder, well all I can say, if armageddon comes I have plenty of food and ammo
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2018, 5:03 pm

you do really have to jump on the bergers when you can get them for sure
I bought 1000 when I was getting the 6mm dasher built because they were so recognised for the precision long range shooting
but they work very well at shorter ranges to :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Oct 2018, 6:01 pm

Yep that's what I am thinking.... I dunno if reloadersheaven had any 105 (I doubt it) but I do remember seeing a few 6mm berger boxes on his shelf
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 28 Oct 2018, 7:13 pm

I heard a story that he is shutting shop and doing the business from home :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Oct 2018, 7:34 pm

That's what he said when I saw him last. Obviously can't sell powder etc type stuff. I got a couple other toys from him at substantial savings.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics