Thoughts on 25-06 for use on Australian pests.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Thoughts on 25-06 for use on Australian pests.

Post by ozfisher71 » 21 Jan 2014, 8:05 pm

I am looking at getting something in the 1/4" range and keep getting caught up in the .243W or 25-06 or 6.5x55 vortex.
I have always liked the .243W but would like to hear other peoples opinions (preferably fact and experienced based) regarding the other calibres I have mentioned.
ozfisher71
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Thoughts on 25-06 for use on Australian pests.

Post by yoshie » 21 Jan 2014, 8:08 pm

Would you consider 260 rem?
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Apollo » 21 Jan 2014, 8:17 pm

Depends on what you call an "Australian Pest"....???
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Fry » 22 Jan 2014, 8:52 am

I've used .243 a lot and this it's a top calibre for Australian hunting.

Probably about the most versatile in terms of pill range I think for the kinds of critters we have here.

Shoot light 55gr pills super flat for your pests with bugger all recoil, or head up to 95gr stuff for small game.

Not knocking the the 25-06, but it's bullet weight range is 80gr-120gr or whatever? The .243 is just better suited for smaller stuff IMO.

My 2c anyway.
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Octane » 22 Jan 2014, 9:33 am

What are we calling "pest" here?

Personally I'd label 6.5x55 a game cartridge, no a pest shooter.

25-06 somewhere in the middle.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jan 2014, 9:43 am

I've got a 06 & there a great round, if you want something a little more common but the same type of trajectory then go the 270. It's pretty much the same as the o6. But since you did say pests I'm going to lean more towards the 257 Roberts. I know you didn't mention it but it sounds like that's more what your after.
Member-Deleted

Post by Monty » 22 Jan 2014, 10:15 am

We're really down to splitting hairs between something like the .243 and 25-06.

In either you could shoot something like an 80gr load which would be flat, be recoil friendly and take pest through small game.

I think it will come down to which rifle you actually want and its available chamberings, and ammo availability etc.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Rakk » 22 Jan 2014, 11:14 am

Getting a new rifle is great.

Choosing a new calibre is the worst :lol:
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Varmtr » 24 Jan 2014, 5:14 pm

I have shot both and like both. But for ease of getting ammo off the shelf I would go 243. But in saying this I have only seen a few shops who didn't have 25-06.

Me personally I like the 25-06 it's the all rounder from long range varmint rig to deer ( depending on what state ) and the ability to punch out harder than the 243.

Barrel life is shorter in the 25-06 compared to the 243 but the 243 will pretty much handle anything that the 25-06 can, toss a coin and make the choice.

Also there is the 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 260 Rem etc all are good maybe except getting off the shelf 257 Roberts ammo.

It all comes down to is what do you want to hydraulic.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Jan 2014, 1:15 pm

Varmtr wrote:I have shot both and like both. But for ease of getting ammo off the shelf I would go 243. But in saying this I have only seen a few shops who didn't have 25-06.

Me personally I like the 25-06 it's the all rounder from long range varmint rig to deer ( depending on what state ) and the ability to punch out harder than the 243.

Barrel life is shorter in the 25-06 compared to the 243 but the 243 will pretty much handle anything that the 25-06 can, toss a coin and make the choice.

Also there is the 257 Roberts, 6.5x55, 260 Rem etc all are good maybe except getting off the shelf 257 Roberts ammo.

It all comes down to is what do you want to hydraulic.

I would really have to agree with not having much in the way of factory stuff for the 06, I've been to 3 fairly local shops in the last few days, 1 didn't have any at all & the other 2 had 2 different types each. Looks like a trip up to Abela's is on the cards. It's more of a hand loaders cal apparently.
Member-Deleted

Post by Aster » 25 Jan 2014, 3:28 pm

Ammo availability is definitely a factor in choosing a calibre.

Having said that, will a little forward planning you can usually avoid any outages.

Just gotta stock up while stocks are good. Keep a few hundred rounds in the safe or more to last you, depending on how often you shoot...
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics