forming 17 ackley cases

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

forming 17 ackley cases

Post by marksman » 29 Nov 2018, 6:57 pm

so I have been busy getting some plinking ammo made for my boy to practice with and thought I'd share the experience :lol:
I have taken a few photo's some are better than others

to start a photo of a 22 hornet case that has been full length sized, trimmed to size and neck turned as 22 cal to 9 thou

then the case is put into my trusty very old simplex press and using the 17 ackley seating die

the case is bought down to about 20 cal using the seating die without the seating stem,
then it is put through the 17 cal neck die bringing the neck down to 17 cal
you can see that the neck turning is past the neck into the shoulder so I minimise the chance of a do-nut but have uniform necks
I size the neck down far enough so that I can only just close the bolt of my rifle on the case, it's head spaced off the shoulder
I also have the projectile touching the lands to stop any movement when the round is fired for better forming

this makes the neck grow thicker to 10 thou

now the point of why I wanted to post this all up
annealing the case's, this pic shows me turning a case in a socket and shaft and where I hold the case into the flame
the yellow arrow shows where I am looking for a blue tinge to appear, it comes just after a goldish colour
it is as this photo was taken I took the case away from the flame, you can see that the blue tinge is just appearing and the neck is just turning red
the case is annealed, I hope this is a better explanation than I have been able to write down in the past so it helps the guys who want to do this

and waala I have annealed cases, I dont drop the cases in water to cool them I just air cool them

I stainless steel wet tumble the cases and load them ready for my son to shoot over xmas

when they are shot they will blow out into shape

the forming loads can be very accurate and are good to hunt with

anyway that's they way I do it :drinks:
Last edited by marksman on 30 Nov 2018, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: forming 17 ackley cases

Post by SCJ429 » 29 Nov 2018, 8:10 pm

Nice work, I am always amazed how well fire forming cases can shoot. Good to see someone else's reloading bench looks similar to mine.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: forming 17 ackley cases

Post by Stix » 29 Nov 2018, 11:05 pm

Thats great stuff marksman...very helpful--especially for annealing newbies like that Stix fella...!!

Well helpful only on the annealing & neck turning front... :thumbsup: ...
But not at all very helpful on the "i dont want a 17 Ackley Hornet" front... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics