22 Hornet

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

22 Hornet

Post by Cal-ApeR » 21 Dec 2018, 9:23 am

Ok, the 22 Hornet. Who has one and what are you using it for? What sort of distances can it shoot? Would you buy one in today's day and age with 17hmr etc? My grandfather used to own one and talked fondly of the cartridge back in the day. I'm thinking it was his equivalent to our 17HMR.
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 113
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 9:31 am

Cal-ApeR wrote:Ok, the 22 Hornet. Who has one and what are you using it for? What sort of distances can it shoot? Would you buy one in today's day and age with 17hmr etc? My grandfather used to own one and talked fondly of the cartridge back in the day. I'm thinking it was his equivalent to our 17HMR.


I like the Hornet, but I wouldn't buy one nowadays.
Just get .223Rem and you can load it down to do everything the Hornet can do, while still being able to do everything the .223 offers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4794
Victoria

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 10:25 am

I had a really accurate heavy barreled krico , awesome trigger. Was owned then rebarreled by Allan swan. 22 hornet was a great little caliber, taught me a lot about reloading. Really cheap to shoot if you reload. 12.7 grains of lil’ gun goes a long way. I never got much opportunity to snipe at bunny or foxes, and case life isn’t as good as other calibers . I upgraded to a 1975 Winchester 222 as I feel it would be more versatile with good case life. From a cost and accuracy perspective a Tikka 223 is the bee’s knee’s , but I personally like classic calibers. If you want a really accurate hornet, my old krico is for sale on browns plains firearms QLD. I left some of my target groups with them and can supply super accurate load data for this rifle . Hope this helps
bigrich
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1616
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by Cal-ApeR » 21 Dec 2018, 11:43 am

Thanks guys, I figured your this would be along those lines. I've got a nice 223 that shoots great. I'd be unlikely to trade it in for a Hornet. Might look into the cartridge a little more though. Still interested.
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 113
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by JimTom » 21 Dec 2018, 1:20 pm

Mate I have a fondness for the Hornet as well. The old fella always had one and we used to shoot it all of the time when we were kids.
Wouldn’t mind one myself however I have a .223 and as Bladeracer said, you can load it down to Hornet velocities if you wish.
Would still be nice to have one though.
Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it!!
User avatar
JimTom
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 713
-

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 1:48 pm

JimTom wrote:Would still be nice to have one though.


I agree, I do still want a Hornet :-)
I actually use the .204 as my "Hornet", using 32gn ZMax bullets at 2400fps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4794
Victoria

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by JimTom » 21 Dec 2018, 1:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:Would still be nice to have one though.


I agree, I do still want a Hornet :-)
I actually use the .204 as my "Hornet", using 32gn ZMax bullets at 2400fps.


Having read this forum for a year or so now, all of the talk about the .204 definitely has sparked interest there as well. Would be nice.
Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it!!
User avatar
JimTom
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 713
-

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by bladeracer » 21 Dec 2018, 2:03 pm

JimTom wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:Would still be nice to have one though.


I agree, I do still want a Hornet :-)
I actually use the .204 as my "Hornet", using 32gn ZMax bullets at 2400fps.


Having read this forum for a year or so now, all of the talk about the .204 definitely has sparked interest there as well. Would be nice.


The .204 is nice. Even though I load it in a variety of ways to put it to every use I can, it's still a pretty narrow-focus cartridge. .223 or .243 can do most of what the .204 can do, and still do everything they're capable of as well. My .223 can't shoot a 24gn bullet at 4400fps, but it can shoot 35gn bullets at 3900fps, and still shoot 80gn bullets. My .243 can shoot 55gn bullets at 4000fps, but can also shoot 105gn bullets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4794
Victoria

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by JimTom » 21 Dec 2018, 3:24 pm

Think I will just be content with my .223 for the moment. Hopefully powerball is just around the corner. One of everything then. ;-)
Shoot straight you bastards, don’t make a mess of it!!
User avatar
JimTom
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 713
-

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 3:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
JimTom wrote:Would still be nice to have one though.


I agree, I do still want a Hornet :-)
I actually use the .204 as my "Hornet", using 32gn ZMax bullets at 2400fps.


Having read this forum for a year or so now, all of the talk about the .204 definitely has sparked interest there as well. Would be nice.


The .204 is nice. Even though I load it in a variety of ways to put it to every use I can, it's still a pretty narrow-focus cartridge. .223 or .243 can do most of what the .204 can do, and still do everything they're capable of as well. My .223 can't shoot a 24gn bullet at 4400fps, but it can shoot 35gn bullets at 3900fps, and still shoot 80gn bullets. My .243 can shoot 55gn bullets at 4000fps, but can also shoot 105gn bullets.


i had a similar idea by moving up to 222. load it down to a hornet, or load it up for the full power. i do miss my hornet sometimes but :(
bigrich
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1616
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by Daddybang » 21 Dec 2018, 3:52 pm

I've only shot a hornet a couple of Times maybe twenty rounds all up and while the fellas are right there are other rounds that are more "efficient" today I still enjoy shooting my mates when I get the chance.
I used to drink beers with an old fella (now unfortunately passed on) who was a pro croc shooter back in the late fifties early sixties and the hornet was his round of choice as it was a tiny hole and didn't f@#k the skin. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2473
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by Chappo » 21 Dec 2018, 5:40 pm

All the talk here about reloading up and down is pretty spot on but i don’t reload and not really interested in it right now so having different calibres to mess about with is handy.
My 22 hornet fills a nice gap between 22lr and 223. And I love using it.
I would rather have one than a 17hmr.

If your like me and don’t shoot enough to worry about reloading or the price of factory rounds then buy one!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 108
New South Wales

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by SillyWetTas » 21 Dec 2018, 5:58 pm

It's a great catridge in a pistol for Silhouette.
Shoots flat out to 100m with 55grn speer and hits the rams hard
User avatar
SillyWetTas
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Tasmania

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by Cal-ApeR » 21 Dec 2018, 6:44 pm

Certainly seems it still has its fans. I guess it's a nostalgic thing for some. I've never shot one but heard many stories from my old man and grandfather. Hmmmm, to buy another rifle or not to buy. Ha, we'll have to wait and see. Hard to justify web I have 223 and a 243 already .....
User avatar
Cal-ApeR
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 113
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 6:51 pm

22 hornet is basically a slightly more powerful and more accurate , reloadable 22 mag. sorta kinda . easiest way to explain it if ya haven't played with one . technical junkies may pick that statement to pieces, but that's it in a nutshell. i like them, but i don't have a practicle use for it where i hunt. 22 hornet is capable of really good accuracy, and a 40-46 gr projectile has more punch than 17hmr IMHO :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1616
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by gunnnie » 21 Dec 2018, 6:54 pm

Great little cartridge & when combined with a good action, tight chamber & good handloads, quite accurate.
I own two standard Hornets, a K-Hornet & a 17 Ackley Hornet. The two standars are in what I consider the best variants to come ijnto the shooting world - BRNO's. One is a 1958 BRNO ZKW465 &the other a latter version, the Model 2 Fox.

The ZKW465 is a magic rifle, mini-Mauser action, double set triggers, walnut timber a classic European styling. Its younger sibling isn't of the same standard of fit/finish, but nonetheless beautiful.

Where people come unstuck with these rifles is using American brass in a European spec'd chamber. This leads to a headspace problem which causes poor accuracy & case life. The US brass has a thinner rim which creates excessive headspace. By using Sako, Norma or S&B brass the problem is easily resolved.

Another great action for a Hornet chambering is the Martini Cadet. I have a K-Hornet made up on a Martini Cadet action & it is in the final stages of getting new timber.

The Hornet is also a good basis for many sub-224 cal wildcats. My 17 Ackley Hornet is also built up on a Martini Cadet action, with a Tobler #5 profile barrel & carved tiger stripe grained stock.

As has been said, this cartridge can teach you a lot about finesse in reloading. All while still being relatively easy to reload for. I use projectiles varying fron the tiny Barnes 35gn Varmint Grenades throught to 50gn Nosler BT's in the K-H. I don't use 2205 as it just doesn't suit the cartridge I've found. I prefer using Win296, Lil'Gun or IMR4227.

In a tight chamber it is possible to produce great velocities without reducing case life to only one or two reloads. Check out Saubier.com for further info on the Hornet.

For an effective, lightweight, walkabout small game rifle capable of taking game up to goats, within 150m, there's nothing wrong with a CZ527 shooting reloads using 40gn pills over 11ish gns of Lil'Gun. For cheap shooting, the 40gn Winchester JHP 22mag projectiles over 10-11gns of Li'Gun is also hard to beat.

Yes, I do like the cartridge. Hi, my name is Gunnie & I am a Hornet tragic....
gunnnie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 90
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2018, 6:59 pm

gunnnie wrote:Great little cartridge & when combined with a good action, tight chamber & good handloads, quite accurate.
I own two standard Hornets, a K-Hornet & a 17 Ackley Hornet. The two standars are in what I consider the best variants to come ijnto the shooting world - BRNO's. One is a 1958 BRNO ZKW465 &the other a latter version, the Model 2 Fox.

The ZKW465 is a magic rifle, mini-Mauser action, double set triggers, walnut timber a classic European styling. Its younger sibling isn't of the same standard of fit/finish, but nonetheless beautiful.

Where people come unstuck with these rifles is using American brass in a European spec'd chamber. This leads to a headspace problem which causes poor accuracy & case life. The US brass has a thinner rim which creates excessive headspace. By using Sako, Norma or S&B brass the problem is easily resolved.

Another great action for a Hornet chambering is the Martini Cadet. I have a K-Hornet made up on a Martini Cadet action & it is in the final stages of getting new timber.

The Hornet is also a good basis for many sub-224 cal wildcats. My 17 Ackley Hornet is also built up on a Martini Cadet action, with a Tobler #5 profile barrel & carved tiger stripe grained stock.

As has been said, this cartridge can teach you a lot about finesse in reloading. All while still being relatively easy to reload for. I use projectiles varying fron the tiny Barnes 35gn Varmint Grenades throught to 50gn Nosler BT's in the K-H. I don't use 2205 as it just doesn't suit the cartridge I've found. I prefer using Win296, Lil'Gun or IMR4227.

In a tight chamber it is possible to produce great velocities without reducing case life to only one or two reloads. Check out Saubier.com for further info on the Hornet.

For an effective, lightweight, walkabout small game rifle capable of taking game up to goats, within 150m, there's nothing wrong with a CZ527 shooting reloads using 40gn pills over 11ish gns of Lil'Gun. For cheap shooting, the 40gn Winchester JHP 22mag projectiles over 10-11gns of Li'Gun is also hard to beat.

Yes, I do like the cartridge. Hi, my name is Gunnie & I am a Hornet tragic....


:lol: :lol: good on ya hornet tragic :D the load that worked in my heavy barreled krico was 12.7 gr lil' gun in hornady brass, win small pistol primers , with a 40 gr sierra hornet projectile. that would at least do three shots touching at 100 . your all b@rstards ! i miss my hornet now....... :cry:
:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major
Major
 
Posts: 1616
Queensland

Re: 22 Hornet

Post by gunnnie » 21 Dec 2018, 8:19 pm

Go on, you know you want another one!!!
I'm sure there's room in your safe for a nice BRNO ZKW465!
gunnnie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 90
Queensland

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics