Price of ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Price of ammo

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

[quote="AZZA'S HJ47"]Not wrong there everything is getting worse and more expensive. Love the 168g Zmax now discontinued i bought up big when i had the oppertunity. Have been told they have been replaced with the Amax same bullet just twice the price.

Have been thinking about purchasing some of those 168gn Z max myself mate. I did get some of the 178 ELDX when they were on special.
The Z Max are a great price at the moment.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2018, 7:50 pm

"If you're only shooting a few hundred rounds a year you don't even need all that.
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-308-win.html"

Correct. A great way to dip your toe in the water.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 22 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:I also ordered 1000 .303 and .308 Speer bullets.

I grab a few of those 130gn Speer a while ago when the were about $36/100 and I thought that was a good deal. I see they are about $29/100 now. Cheap as chips.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 22 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Not wrong there everything is getting worse and more expensive. Love the 168g Zmax now discontinued i bought up big when i had the oppertunity. Have been told they have been replaced with the Amax same bullet just twice the price.

Have been thinking about purchasing some of those 168gn Z max myself mate. I did get some of the 178 ELDX when they were on special.
The Z Max are a great price at the moment.

I remember getting the boxes for $180 for 500 a while ago, i think for 195 know of a few boxes lying around but they have 220 on them still not a bad price but what can you do.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2018, 11:18 pm

The 168 Z Max are $185/500 at the moment I think mate. Have you used them on pigs?
I vaguely remember something negative was said about them in another thread.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Dec 2018, 7:08 am

I found that they work well on pigs havent yet tested on a 100kg boar but have found they will bring down a 80kg boar no dramas.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Dec 2018, 7:14 am

JimTom wrote:the 168 Z Max

I have roughly 3000 @ my disposal so i should be right for the foreseeable future.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 7:48 am

Mate if they sort out a 80kg boat then I’d reckon they will be ok. Think I’ll go ahead and order some today.
3000 should do you for a little while eh. :-)
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 23 Dec 2018, 9:21 am

Ok so been looking up old threads and found waht some of you were getting per round, but wondering what in todays prices you are getting per round when reloading?
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2018, 10:23 am

There was an excel speed sheet uploaded here about 2 years ago to calculate that for you. Try and find that using a sesrch
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2018, 10:25 am

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 10:47 am

pete1 wrote:Ok so been looking up old threads and found waht some of you were getting per round, but wondering what in todays prices you are getting per round when reloading?

Mate I made up my own spreadsheet just out of interest when I started reloading again.
These are the figures I come with, based on 10 shots per case. Cheaper if I get more reloads per case.

.223 55gn Speer. = $0.50
6.5CM 143gn ELDX = $1.09
.308 130gn HP Speer = $0.86
.308 178gn ELDX. =$0.99

Cheaper and more accurate than factory ammo mate. Plus I enjoy reloading.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 11:47 am

JimTom wrote:Hmmmm, do you have a compromising photo of this chap and a goat or something?
;-). ;-)

Nope :-)
But we've developed a great relationship over the last four years (30 firearms purchased, half of them from him), whenever a milsurp came in I'd get a phone call to come and have a look before he put it on the rack for sale. He's driving up to Tullamarine tomorrow to collect my Mausers for me tomorrow and delivering them to me for Christmas.

He closed the shop very suddenly so still has some stuff to offload, particularly DG stuff as dealers are restricted in how much they can keep on the premises.

I don't need the powder or the primers as I have plenty of stock already, but I wanted to give him some cash as he's not working while he finishes sorting the shop out. I gave him a list of DG stuff that I might be interested in if he had any of it. I was ordering two cases of rimfire from Brisbane so I rang him and told him that if he wanted to collect two cases for me while he's up in the city I was happier to give him the money. He's over trying to deal with distributors though and advised me to just order it myself. But I gave him a few days to go through his stuff and he managed to find a case of CCI SV for me, and a brick of CCI Quiet. He's out of Remington primers but had 5000 Winchester Large Pistol Magnum primers for a great price, and he gave me a brick of Winchester Large Rifle Primers as a gift :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 11:51 am

pete1 wrote:Ok so been looking up old threads and found waht some of you were getting per round, but wondering what in todays prices you are getting per round when reloading?

Some recent deals have probably dropped my price-per-round significantly. Bullets and brass have seen some great bulk deals in recent times. Subscribing to shops via email and Facebook pays off sometimes.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 12:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Some recent deals have probably dropped my price-per-round significantly. Bullets and brass have seen some great bulk deals in recent times. Subscribing to shops via email and Facebook pays off sometimes.

Couldn’t agree more mate. Nice to get an email with something that you need on sale.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2018, 12:18 pm

Is DG, Dangerous Goods, it means dangerous game to me.

Is that how you ended up with 10 kilos of 2208 in 500 g containers?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 12:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Is DG, Dangerous Goods, it means dangerous game to me.

Is that how you ended up with 10 kilos of 2208 in 500 g containers?

I'm sure DG could stand for lots of things depending on the context, but when discussing explosives it's probably Dangerous Goods. Nobody can ship powders in Australia currently as far as I'm aware, it has to be transported by dealers or reps, or licenced firearm owners.

DG is not exactly how I ended up with the powder. Gunshops are restricted by storage limits so it's not unusual for dealers to buy bulk for pricing reasons but have to store most of it elsewhere. I asked him if he had a 4kg bottle of AR2206H, and he said he had 5kg. He didn't tell me it was in 500gm bottles at the time. The powder comes in cartons of twenty bottles in two layers of ten, separated by a sheet of corrugated cardboard. He hadn't realised there were another ten in the bottom until I picked it up and mentioned how heavy it was. I could buy more as he said he still has plenty of powders to offload.

I mainly use AR2206H and Trailboss but I keep a lot of other powders on hand for experimenting in different cartridges. I just had a look at ADI's site - of the thirteen rifle powders they offer, I have ten, plus AP70N and Trailboss.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2018, 1:28 pm

And here was me picturing you with armfuls of stuff for your next Safari...

My LGS always ends up giving me the smallest containers, I ask for eight kilos of 2208 and end up with 16 containers.

Do you have a tin of 2214? I can give you one for your collection.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 1:43 pm

SCJ429 wrote:And here was me picturing you with armfuls of stuff for your next Safari...

My LGS always ends up giving me the smallest containers, I ask for eight kilos of 2208 and end up with 16 containers.

Do you have a tin of 2214? I can give you one for your collection.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that works. I order 4kg bottles because it's so much cheaper, but if the dealer has a pile of 500gm bottles he'll give me those for the same price. $375 for 4kg or $480 for eight 500gm bottles so he tosses a hundred bucks away just to help me out? Do they buy it all for a base kg rate regardless perhaps?

Never heard of AR2214, is that discontinued like AR2206?
No point in messing with powders I can't get anymore, with my luck it'd shoot great :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 1:51 pm

JimTom wrote:Couldn’t agree more mate. Nice to get an email with something that you need on sale.

I've had two particularly good deals from emails that spring to mind.
My Ruger American in 7mm-08 for $525 with Redfield 3-9x40 scope. I was all set to order one from my dealer, had the email typed, just needed to hit send. Saved $300 and got a crappy scope as a bonus :-)
And my M1903-A3 for $1600.
I jumped on both as soon as I saw the emails, the sixteen '03-A3's they imported were sold within 24hrs.

I remembered another one actually, $500 for my Stoeger Condor 30", 3"-chambered 12ga. Think that one was from Magnum Sports maybe?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blutius Maximus » 18 Jan 2019, 2:37 pm

marksman wrote:
pete1 wrote:
marksman wrote:it's not just you Pete, and it's has been climbing up for a while

Yeh i brought heaps in bulk and now i have to go in and buy it rather then go to safe and it just feels tad to high. i think ill have to get into reloading. will open more opportunities

Pete honestly the 308 is easy to load for and you dont have to spend thousands to get into it :wtf:
lee collet die set $100
press $120-$200
ohause 505 scales $120
vernier caliper $40-70
case trimmer $120 or cheaper
neck champfer tool $50
adi reloading info is free online

a good time to get some gear for Christmas :lol: :drinks:

From the image I found, it looks like the RCBS which is a good scale (looking, it seems ohaus make the rcbs scale).
Is the ohaus branded scale available locally? $120 seems a pretty good price. I can't seem to find much on it.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Post by marksman » 18 Jan 2019, 4:05 pm

yes ohaus make the rcbs 505 scale, here's a second hand one for you to look at cheap
www.ebay.com.au/itm/RCBS-Model-505-Relo ... ctupt=true
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blutius Maximus » 19 Jan 2019, 1:32 pm

Thanks. Good price compared to here.
When I look at the history of sold ones, generally, they seem to go for even less than that one.

Sucks that we have to pay extra 10% for gst on everything coming into Aus now, including second hand items. It's also 10% of the freight just for that extra whammy.
I got caught out the first time, before I knew that'd implemented that. I bought something from China on ebay, did the commit to buy and it was only when I went to pay did it show the extra 10% charge.
Blutius Maximus
Private
Private

-

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics