Price of ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Price of ammo

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2018, 7:49 pm

[quote="AZZA'S HJ47"]Not wrong there everything is getting worse and more expensive. Love the 168g Zmax now discontinued i bought up big when i had the oppertunity. Have been told they have been replaced with the Amax same bullet just twice the price.

Have been thinking about purchasing some of those 168gn Z max myself mate. I did get some of the 178 ELDX when they were on special.
The Z Max are a great price at the moment.
Huntin’, Fishin’, and Lovin’ Everyday.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2018, 7:50 pm

"If you're only shooting a few hundred rounds a year you don't even need all that.
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-308-win.html"

Correct. A great way to dip your toe in the water.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 22 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:I also ordered 1000 .303 and .308 Speer bullets.

I grab a few of those 130gn Speer a while ago when the were about $36/100 and I thought that was a good deal. I see they are about $29/100 now. Cheap as chips.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 22 Dec 2018, 10:33 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Not wrong there everything is getting worse and more expensive. Love the 168g Zmax now discontinued i bought up big when i had the oppertunity. Have been told they have been replaced with the Amax same bullet just twice the price.

Have been thinking about purchasing some of those 168gn Z max myself mate. I did get some of the 178 ELDX when they were on special.
The Z Max are a great price at the moment.

I remember getting the boxes for $180 for 500 a while ago, i think for 195 know of a few boxes lying around but they have 220 on them still not a bad price but what can you do.
Why So Serious?
Sako Varmint Stainless 243
Marlin 917v Stainless
Lithgow La101 .22
1917 BSA 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt 1944 M39
Tikka T3X Super Varmint Satinless 223
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Howa 1500 Stainless 308
BSA CF2 222 Remington
Colt 1911 9mm
Adler 12G
AZZA'S HJ47
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 22 Dec 2018, 11:18 pm

The 168 Z Max are $185/500 at the moment I think mate. Have you used them on pigs?
I vaguely remember something negative was said about them in another thread.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Dec 2018, 7:08 am

I found that they work well on pigs havent yet tested on a 100kg boar but have found they will bring down a 80kg boar no dramas.
Why So Serious?
Marlin 917v Stainless
Lithgow La101 .22
1917 BSA 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt 1944 M39
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Howa 1500 Stainless 308
BSA CF2 222 Remington
Colt 1911 9mm
Adler 12G
AZZA'S HJ47
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Dec 2018, 7:14 am

JimTom wrote:the 168 Z Max

I have roughly 3000 @ my disposal so i should be right for the foreseeable future.
Why So Serious?
Marlin 917v Stainless
Lithgow La101 .22
1917 BSA 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt 1944 M39
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
Howa 1500 Stainless 308
BSA CF2 222 Remington
Colt 1911 9mm
Adler 12G
AZZA'S HJ47
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 7:48 am

Mate if they sort out a 80kg boat then I’d reckon they will be ok. Think I’ll go ahead and order some today.
3000 should do you for a little while eh. :-)
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 23 Dec 2018, 9:21 am

Ok so been looking up old threads and found waht some of you were getting per round, but wondering what in todays prices you are getting per round when reloading?
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2018, 10:23 am

There was an excel speed sheet uploaded here about 2 years ago to calculate that for you. Try and find that using a sesrch
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2018, 10:25 am

Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 10:47 am

pete1 wrote:Ok so been looking up old threads and found waht some of you were getting per round, but wondering what in todays prices you are getting per round when reloading?

Mate I made up my own spreadsheet just out of interest when I started reloading again.
These are the figures I come with, based on 10 shots per case. Cheaper if I get more reloads per case.

.223 55gn Speer. = $0.50
6.5CM 143gn ELDX = $1.09
.308 130gn HP Speer = $0.86
.308 178gn ELDX. =$0.99

Cheaper and more accurate than factory ammo mate. Plus I enjoy reloading.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 11:47 am

JimTom wrote:Hmmmm, do you have a compromising photo of this chap and a goat or something?
;-). ;-)

Nope :-)
But we've developed a great relationship over the last four years (30 firearms purchased, half of them from him), whenever a milsurp came in I'd get a phone call to come and have a look before he put it on the rack for sale. He's driving up to Tullamarine tomorrow to collect my Mausers for me tomorrow and delivering them to me for Christmas.

He closed the shop very suddenly so still has some stuff to offload, particularly DG stuff as dealers are restricted in how much they can keep on the premises.

I don't need the powder or the primers as I have plenty of stock already, but I wanted to give him some cash as he's not working while he finishes sorting the shop out. I gave him a list of DG stuff that I might be interested in if he had any of it. I was ordering two cases of rimfire from Brisbane so I rang him and told him that if he wanted to collect two cases for me while he's up in the city I was happier to give him the money. He's over trying to deal with distributors though and advised me to just order it myself. But I gave him a few days to go through his stuff and he managed to find a case of CCI SV for me, and a brick of CCI Quiet. He's out of Remington primers but had 5000 Winchester Large Pistol Magnum primers for a great price, and he gave me a brick of Winchester Large Rifle Primers as a gift :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 11:51 am

pete1 wrote:Ok so been looking up old threads and found waht some of you were getting per round, but wondering what in todays prices you are getting per round when reloading?

Some recent deals have probably dropped my price-per-round significantly. Bullets and brass have seen some great bulk deals in recent times. Subscribing to shops via email and Facebook pays off sometimes.
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Dec 2018, 12:10 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Some recent deals have probably dropped my price-per-round significantly. Bullets and brass have seen some great bulk deals in recent times. Subscribing to shops via email and Facebook pays off sometimes.

Couldn’t agree more mate. Nice to get an email with something that you need on sale.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2018, 12:18 pm

Is DG, Dangerous Goods, it means dangerous game to me.

Is that how you ended up with 10 kilos of 2208 in 500 g containers?
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 23 Dec 2018, 12:55 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Is DG, Dangerous Goods, it means dangerous game to me.

Is that how you ended up with 10 kilos of 2208 in 500 g containers?

I'm sure DG could stand for lots of things depending on the context, but when discussing explosives it's probably Dangerous Goods. Nobody can ship powders in Australia currently as far as I'm aware, it has to be transported by dealers or reps, or licenced firearm owners.

DG is not exactly how I ended up with the powder. Gunshops are restricted by storage limits so it's not unusual for dealers to buy bulk for pricing reasons but have to store most of it elsewhere. I asked him if he had a 4kg bottle of AR2206H, and he said he had 5kg. He didn't tell me it was in 500gm bottles at the time. The powder comes in cartons of twenty bottles in two layers of ten, separated by a sheet of corrugated cardboard. He hadn't realised there were another ten in the bottom until I picked it up and mentioned how heavy it was. I could buy more as he said he still has plenty of powders to offload.

I mainly use AR2206H and Trailboss but I keep a lot of other powders on hand for experimenting in different cartridges. I just had a look at ADI's site - of the thirteen rifle powders they offer, I have ten, plus AP70N and Trailboss.
bladeracer
General
General

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2018, 1:28 pm

And here was me picturing you with armfuls of stuff for your next Safari...

My LGS always ends up giving me the smallest containers, I ask for eight kilos of 2208 and end up with 16 containers.

Do you have a tin of 2214? I can give you one for your collection.
SCJ429
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics