Cronograph

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Cronograph

Post by marksman » 27 Dec 2018, 8:57 pm

Stoney wrote:Thanks for the advice fellas, very appreciated. I will have to have a good think about intended use. I'm thinking that renting one from the range when I need it might be the smart thing to do.

you could even ask someone who has one at the range if they would put a few shots threw there's for you :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 27 Dec 2018, 9:24 pm

marksman wrote:
Stoney wrote:Thanks for the advice fellas, very appreciated. I will have to have a good think about intended use. I'm thinking that renting one from the range when I need it might be the smart thing to do.

you could even ask someone who has one at the range if they would put a few shots threw there's for you :thumbsup:

I generally don't like to bother anyone mate. Although I have met some bloody fantastic people at the range.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 27 Dec 2018, 9:39 pm

Bills Shed wrote:I run a base model Alpha chrono. It works, reliable, and it just puts out the numbers. If you want all bells and whistles, buy it. There is no "best". I mainly pull mine out if I want to do some low velocity work with a new projectile I have built. Even then it is an after thought as I want the projectile to hit my target and the speed is mostly irrelevant. Book specs will be close if you are working out of a book. I thought a chrony would be a great advantage but it really is a want and not a need. It can lead you to some load chasing, trying to get better results, consistency, etc,etc....but at the end of the day if what you have as a load works the velocity is a nice to know. Would I buy one again. NO. Another toy that does little work for my hunting/ culling needs. I do not shoot paper and a sub MOA is fine. All the tech guys may get a bit bent out of shape with this line of thinking but I say get out into the paddock and shoot. A well placed shot means dead, regardless of speed.

Bill

Absolutely Bill. My 303 loads are grouping fantastically so now I am curious about what speed they are doing. I have already decided that the best grouping load is now my standard load, and to be honest I really couldn't care if it runs at 1800fps.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 28 Dec 2018, 6:59 am

Stoney wrote:
Bills Shed wrote:I run a base model Alpha chrono. It works, reliable, and it just puts out the numbers. If you want all bells and whistles, buy it. There is no "best". I mainly pull mine out if I want to do some low velocity work with a new projectile I have built. Even then it is an after thought as I want the projectile to hit my target and the speed is mostly irrelevant. Book specs will be close if you are working out of a book. I thought a chrony would be a great advantage but it really is a want and not a need. It can lead you to some load chasing, trying to get better results, consistency, etc,etc....but at the end of the day if what you have as a load works the velocity is a nice to know. Would I buy one again. NO. Another toy that does little work for my hunting/ culling needs. I do not shoot paper and a sub MOA is fine. All the tech guys may get a bit bent out of shape with this line of thinking but I say get out into the paddock and shoot. A well placed shot means dead, regardless of speed.

Bill

Absolutely Bill. My 303 loads are grouping fantastically so now I am curious about what speed they are doing. I have already decided that the best grouping load is now my standard load, and to be honest I really couldn't care if it runs at 1800fps.

WHere are you located? If you are in the CQ/coalfields areas you could borrow my old chronotech.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 28 Dec 2018, 11:52 am

trekin wrote:
Stoney wrote:

Bill

WHere are you located? If you are in the CQ/coalfields areas you could borrow my old chronotech.

Very kind of you trekin, alas I am in Brisbane. But thanks for the offer.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sako308 » 01 Jan 2019, 12:05 pm

I retired my CED M2 with a Magnetospeed as its a hell of a lot quicker and easier to setup, accurate velocities and isn't affected by range users, environmental/light conditions, calibers, etc etc. It just works.

It can alter harmonics, but some barrels/calibres are more affected than others, but is a moot point if just confirming velocities. hasn't worried me in the slightest. There are also a number of companies in the US manufacturing adjustable extensions/arms for attaching the bayonet clear of the barrel if needed.

Hit the guys up at Huntsman Aus in Townsville if you want any more info on the MagnetoSpeed gear.

https://huntsmanfirearms.com.au/catalog ... ospeed_54/
Sako308
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics