7.62x39 vs 300AAC vs 6.5 Grendel

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 7.62x39 vs 300AAC vs 6.5 Grendel

Post by JimTom » 20 Apr 2019, 10:02 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have never had any luck getting accuracy out of the SST. I won't buy any more of them and have turned to Noslers. The Blackout has its own challenges, I didn't realise people were using light projectiles with this case.

Mate accuracy wise the SST are great out of my blackout. I didn’t have the same success using SST out of my .308 though. I honestly cannot fault them. I am using light projectiles in the 300AAC as I am just after a short range hog buster. I know that they are mostly used with heavier projectiles to achieve subsonic loads but that’s not my cup of tea. Might have a go at it though later on down the track.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 21 Apr 2019, 12:20 am

SCJ429 wrote:I have never had any luck getting accuracy out of the SST. I won't buy any more of them and have turned to Noslers. The Blackout has its own challenges, I didn't realise people were using light projectiles with this case.

I've been pretty happy with Nosler pistol bullets compared to Hornady bullets. Hornady bullets are just fine but Nosler just seems to have that little bit extra quality and consistency. I found Noslers to be very accurate. Haven't tried any of their rifle bullets yet though, however I plan too.

Yes loading 110g-130g projectiles in Blackout is common for hunting and target shooting.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 22 Apr 2019, 10:30 pm

wanneroo wrote:Hornady bullets are just fine but Nosler just seems to have that little bit extra quality and consistency. I found Noslers to be very accurate.

Not trying to start s***t but that’s pretty anecdotal - you gotta take it on a case by case basis - Hornady make some darn good pills as does Nosler also make some crummy ones. But you get what you pay for.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 23 Apr 2019, 12:37 am

in2anity wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Hornady bullets are just fine but Nosler just seems to have that little bit extra quality and consistency. I found Noslers to be very accurate.

Not trying to start s***t but that’s pretty anecdotal - you gotta take it on a case by case basis - Hornady make some darn good pills as does Nosler also make some crummy ones. But you get what you pay for.

It is anecdotal. I've got no problem with Hornady bullets but find Noslers seem to be made with finer detail and shoot very well.

Personally because I don't do much shooting at distance due to the mountain, wooded terrain I live in, I buy in bulk by the thousands anytime there is a big sale on whatever brand of jacketed bullets, so I'm not too fussed about brands. Nosler for instance had a mega blowout sale of almost 50% of off, so I bought hundreds of pounds of bullets. Hornady did the same about 4 years ago, Speer did the same thing the following year.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 23 Apr 2019, 12:40 am

Just cleaned 700 Blackout cases so will be doing some experimentation with a variety of bullets coming up over the summer months. Going to try to some fast ones, some subsonic and some bullets in the mid range for plinkers. Also aiming at some point this year to buy my first suppressor.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by JimTom » 23 Apr 2019, 3:30 am

Well that ought to keep you busy for a while mate. I’d be interested in seeing the results if you get time to chuck them up.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics