.243 pros and cons, What can it do and what can’t it do?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: .243 pros and cons, What can it do and what can’t it do?

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Jan 2019, 8:17 pm

What sort of speeds are you getting from the AI? A friend has offered me some dies and I was thinking about putting a reamer up my barre, like you said, for looks alone. I am already getting over 3300 fps out of a 105 grain projectile.

Did you use a hydraulic forming die to form your cases?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Jan 2019, 10:27 pm

SCJ429 wrote:What sort of speeds are you getting from the AI? A friend has offered me some dies and I was thinking about putting a reamer up my barre, like you said, for looks alone. I am already getting over 3300 fps out of a 105 grain projectile.

Did you use a hydraulic forming die to form your cases?

I had an increase of around 100-120 FPS for 87-105gr, 24 inch barrel.

You're doing well I don't know how much faster it will be for you.

Yes, the hydraulic die paid for itself (around $220 delivered) with time saved fireforming from going somewhere to shoot along with projectiles and powder not to mention barrel life. Easy to use stick it in your press fill it with water stick piston in then whack piston with a hammer a couple of times then stick it in your AI sizing die and load as normal. You need to fit a primer so water doesn't leak out, it's a good thing IMO.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 17 Jan 2019, 10:35 pm

Because you have to resight a firearm if you change the load AFAIC a 243W is nothing more than the best varmint cartridge
on the market .
And yes I have more than 10000 rounds over 10+years you just can't beat a 65VMAX at 3765fps . 75g is good but not as explosive .......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 06 Feb 2019, 5:30 pm

I have just applied for a new commercial license for culling in the south west and have read the 2019-2024 code for the humane destruction of kangaroos.To the best of my understanding it only applies to commercially harvested fauna.I shot at 300 yards a few weeks ago and had no trouble off a bench rest putting all the shots in the V bull which is 80 mm once I was correctly zeroed.I was surprised as the .243 I used is a $700 HOWA with the scope it came with 3-10 x 40 something and I only had reloads we made for hunting a few years ago.The regs do state that every state and territory are different and to check.Not stirring the pot just need the truth
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 07 Feb 2019, 6:09 am

Duncan
The code of practice referenced aboge is a National Code of Practice it doesn't vary from state to state . If you can provide a link to the information you say you've read then we can look at it. IF it differs from the National code there is a serious problem with the information you are receiving. And as I said above the national code was written for drop and rot culling but hqs also been applied afaik to commercial harvesting. Anyway provide either the link or copy of the code ya read and we can look at it. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 07 Feb 2019, 8:58 am

duncan61 wrote:I have just applied for a new commercial license for culling in the south west and have read the 2019-2024 code for the humane destruction of kangaroos.To the best of my understanding it only applies to commercially harvested fauna.I shot at 300 yards a few weeks ago and had no trouble off a bench rest putting all the shots in the V bull which is 80 mm once I was correctly zeroed.I was surprised as the .243 I used is a $700 HOWA with the scope it came with 3-10 x 40 something and I only had reloads we made for hunting a few years ago.The regs do state that every state and territory are different and to check.Not stirring the pot just need the truth

What specifically do you want to know? The National Code of Practise is exactly that “National” . In relation to the details of minimum calibre, minimum projectile weight, maximum shooting distance, point of aim, etc the code applies in WA. Are you referring to the WA Kangaroo Management Plan (see link below)? It really isn’t clear what you want to know.

https://www.dpaw.wa.gov.au/plants-and-a ... -australia
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 07 Feb 2019, 12:51 pm

I think this is it. It has moved around a bit as in location on the web

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... commercial
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by duncan61 » 08 Feb 2019, 2:56 pm

3.2 Conditions covers it,All shooting is to be done according to the code.My .222 is no longer legal
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 08 Feb 2019, 6:58 pm

How do you figure that ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Feb 2019, 8:16 pm

duncan61 wrote:3.2 Conditions covers it,All shooting is to be done according to the code.My .222 is no longer legal

Yes: it is.

https://www.environment.gov.au/system/f ... ercial.pdf

A .222 is a legal calibre for commercial or non-commercial roo shooting. The .204 Ruger with a 40 grain pill is the minimum centrefire allowed. A .222 is no problem.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 09 Feb 2019, 6:35 am

I really am astounded that someone claiming to have been a Roo Pro for years doesn't know either the basic legislation or code of practice for that industry. :unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 09 Feb 2019, 7:48 am

Daddybang wrote:I really am astounded that someone claiming to have been a Roo Pro for years doesn't know either the basic legislation or code of practice for that industry. :unknown: :drinks:

This ^^^^
And so many other dodgy things we've read....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Austwave » 17 Feb 2019, 12:22 pm

I’m in a similar boat, just getting started I’ve had a shot of a 308 and a 270 , was looking at a 223 as an alrounder, but need a bit bigger for fallow so am leaning towards a tikka t3x superlight in 243 and either a cz455 or ruger american in 22lr
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 18 Feb 2019, 9:09 am

Austwave wrote:I’m in a similar boat, just getting started I’ve had a shot of a 308 and a 270 , was looking at a 223 as an alrounder, but need a bit bigger for fallow so am leaning towards a tikka t3x superlight in 243 and either a cz455 or ruger american in 22lr

Gday austwave :drinks:
The great thing about a .243 is for those of us who don't reload there is a very good variety of factory rounds from the 50's thru to the low 100's . For the reloader it's even wider. With a .22 & .243 there's not much in the hunting realm ya not covered for in thus country!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
(Unless the animal has a legislated min cal/chambering of course :lol: :drinks: )
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 18 Feb 2019, 8:09 pm

Austwave wrote:I’m in a similar boat, just getting started I’ve had a shot of a 308 and a 270 , was looking at a 223 as an alrounder, but need a bit bigger for fallow so am leaning towards a tikka t3x superlight in 243 and either a cz455 or ruger american in 22lr

I have a Tikka Lite Stainless in .243. I like it a lot. The Tikka has a very smooth action and is good to carry around. I mainly use mine for Roos and it is very effective on them. I have shot a few foxes with it as well and it is devastating on those. I haven’t shot a fallow, so I don’t know how it would go on those. The 243 is a very versatile calibre. What I have learned is rifles really are like golf clubs. Each of them has a specific job to do. What should guide you is what sort of shooting you are likely to do with it. I think the 243 would definitely be a better all round cartridge than a .223. Having said that they have more recoil and are more expensive to feed. If you can only justify one centrefire l would say the 243 is a great choice. If you can justify more than one centrefire a 308, a 223 and a 22 will cover nearly everything you would shoot in Australia.

I also have a couple of Ruger Americans (22 magnum and 17 HMR) and I am very happy with them. I also have an old Anschutz 22 lr and a CZ Farmer 22lr. I think they are all as good as each other. It would really just come down to what feels best to shoulder and shoot with.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics