Remington Accelerator

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Remington Accelerator

Post by GQshayne » 16 Mar 2019, 9:09 pm

Had a blast from the past today, when a friend of mine mentioned them. He has a box of them in 30-06, which have a 55 grain .22 cal projectile. I cannot remember when I last heard of them, maybe the 1980's???

Sounded like a great idea at the time, but apart from a magazine ad, this is the only one I have ever seen. So I assume from this that they were not very good. Anyone know why??? Is it simply because the smaller projectiles/sabot do not suit the rifling designed for the normal weight projectiles which are much larger?
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Remington Accelerator

Post by Rod_outbak » 16 Mar 2019, 9:30 pm

I remember buying a box for a mate who had a Win 94 .30-30 at the time. Probably around 1984, and I think they were still available for a year or so afterwards.
It sounded like a great idea, but from what I read in recent years, they were woefully inaccurate.
Thinking about it, the plastic sabot wasnt exactly going to produce consistent groupings....especially as the barrel started to heat up.

SUPPOSED to get around 3500/3600fps from the .30-30 version!
I'd love to find out if that was true.

It seems that people still sell the plastic sabots to roll your own, but not likely something you could export from the US...

I also read one article suggesting that the .308 and .30-06 accelerators were removed from the market due to pressure from the US Federal government. It seems that the authorities were concerned that the sabots meant that there was no rifling on the bullet, so if they were used in a crime, there was no way to tie it back to a particular rifle. Interestingly, the page I found suggested the .30-30 accelerators were sold for some years longer, as .30-30's werent considered a caliber likely to be used in crime...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 16 Mar 2019, 9:37 pm

Usaly s**t accuracy I have used them in 30-06 308 and 30 30 of which I still have one
20190316_222953.jpg
20190316_222953.jpg (1011.7 KiB) Viewed 2570 times

In all 3 best groups ran around 2 1/2" at 100y so no point . they said (And this is approximate as I can't quite remember) 30-06 4100fps 308 3800fps 30 30 2900fps .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Mar 2019, 9:39 pm

I could be thinking of something else, it's late and there has been a large amount of ethanol ingestion, but I seem to recall a sabot 12g round that got the attention of Nanny and was banned as a submunition.
Mind you, at this stage of chemical enhancement I might just be imagining typing this.
I'll check tomorrow and see if I am hallucinating. :mrgreen:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 17 Mar 2019, 9:19 pm

You know what, that 12g round is ringing a bell with me too. Hmmmmmmmm………..

The no rifling on the projectile was always apparent to me too, so no surprises that the authorities were not keen on it. Was a surprise to see them after so many years.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics