Trajectory info please,

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Trajectory info please,

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Feb 2014, 11:41 pm

Hi All,
Firstly let me state that I am aware of the basics, but by no means an expert, so I'm looking for some help here.

Today I headed out to sight in a recently aquired scope on my Marlin XLR 336 in 30/30 cal.
The rifle itself is only 40 rounds old, and the scope is a higher end brand.

I started out at 50 metres, and within 5 rounds got it impacting 1 1/2" high of the bull.
A further 5 rounds and it stayed as already mentioned and grouped slightly less than a 20 cent piece.

Then I moved target out to 70 metres, and let loose 3 rounds.
They grouped fairly well, but surprised me by being just on 6 inches above the bull.

Am using factory ammo.

Can someone tell me would the projectiles still be rising at the 70 metre mark ?
I have checked all mounting screws/nuts etc, and they are all still the same torque.

Any advice or solutions would be much appreciated.
Cheers
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Trajectory info please,

Post by 5Tom » 04 Feb 2014, 6:56 am

What range is the scope zeroed at?
Generally to get a zero down range, the bullet needs to travel up, then levels out and begins to fall again so at 50m to 70m, the projectile is still in the rising stage of the ballistic path.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 04 Feb 2014, 8:05 am

If you're using factory ammo we should be able to work out out pretty well.

What ammo are you using? What bullet weight? What muzzle velocity does the ammo state?

If you can tell me those I can put it through the calculator and give you a decent idea.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Feb 2014, 6:11 pm

SendIt wrote:If you're using factory ammo we should be able to work out out pretty well.

What ammo are you using? What bullet weight? What muzzle velocity does the ammo state?

If you can tell me those I can put it through the calculator and give you a decent idea.

Hi, and thanks for both of your replies.
I am currently using Highland 150gr FSP (this brand cos I have had outstanding accuracy from it in another cal)
Not having used the 30/30 for hunting yet, but I had maybe mistakenly presumed them to be mainly for close/short range work.
Maybe at the 70 metre mark they are actually still on the rise.
It just surprised me how far up they impacted.

Praps I'd be well served to set another target out at 100 or 150 metres, and see what unfolds.

Would be greatly appreciative of whatever numbers you can crunch Sendit.

Cheers
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 04 Feb 2014, 6:41 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
SendIt wrote:If you're using factory ammo we should be able to work out out pretty well.

Hi, and thanks for both of your replies.
I am currently using Highland 150gr FSP (this brand cos I have had outstanding accuracy from it in another cal)
Not having used the 30/30 for hunting yet, but I had maybe mistakenly presumed them to be mainly for close/short range work.
Maybe at the 70 metre mark they are actually still on the rise.
It just surprised me how far up they impacted.

Praps I'd be well served to set another target out at 100 or 150 metres, and see what unfolds.

Would be greatly appreciative of whatever numbers you can crunch Sendit.

Cheers

i've been waiting til i got home to reply to this topic and although i don't own a 30-30 i have great respect for the cartridge. with performance close to the .303 british at close range plenty of medium and large game have fallen to it.

the highland sites lists the 150gr fsp at a muzzle velocity of 2264fps, it's hard to find BC data on it but i'd guess it's under .190

http://www.highlandammo.com/ballistics.htm

the path for this load would look something like this with a 100m zero,

50m -.3"
100m zero
150m -2.2"
200m -7.7"
250m -17.1"
300m -31.5"

although the low BC of a bullet like this puts the brakes on pretty quick this load should retain around 500 foot pounds of energy at 300m with near enough a meter of drop, a long shot with open sights but easy for hold over eh?

although i'm not a huge fan of chuck hawks you may find this an interesting read as he discusses your question

http://www.chuckhawks.com/30-30Win.htm

Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Feb 2014, 7:20 pm

Personally I'd set your scope to 1.5 inches high at 100 yards.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Feb 2014, 9:34 pm

Hi again,
Thanks to "Chronos" (a very informative read via your link/s), and also to "On One Wheel", I take all that is said on board, and will experiment.
At least now I can see and appreciate why I got the results that I did, when initially sighting in the scope.
Regardless of the rifle or calibre, I always start out at 50 - 60 metres when using a freshly mounted scope.
Then graduate up in distance.
However the trajectory of this one surprised me. Further work will no doubt work out to finish at pretty close to what you fellas have said.
Cheers and thanks
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Brute » 05 Feb 2014, 3:22 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Regardless of the rifle or calibre, I always start out at 50 - 60 metres when using a freshly mounted scope.

You might as well sight in at 50m IMO before fine tuning your scope for 100m or 200m shooting, whatever your preference is.

At 50m on a decent size target you'll at least be on paper, and twice as close to the bullseye than at 100m. Once you're sighted in at 50m you know you're only and inch or two off the 100m bulleyes. It's easy to do those last few clicks from there. You can usually do it in half a dozen shots.

There is always someone at the range sighting in a fresh scope at 100 who spends ages trying to figure out where their shot is going because it's too far off at 100m out of the box.
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 05 Feb 2014, 8:50 pm

Chronos wrote:
i don't own a 30-30 i have great respect for the cartridge. with performance close to the .303 british at close range plenty of medium and large game have fallen to it.

Ummmmmm.......
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 05 Feb 2014, 9:00 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Chronos wrote:
i don't own a 30-30 i have great respect for the cartridge. with performance close to the .303 british at close range plenty of medium and large game have fallen to it.

Ummmmmm.......

Poorly worded , of course the .303 will out perform the 30-30 but given the lighter bullet weights and shorter barrels that go with the 30-30 I think it can punch above its weight out to 150m

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 06 Feb 2014, 8:53 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Personally I'd set your scope to 1.5 inches high at 100 yards.

Agreed, I reckon that's best practice for hunting.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 06 Feb 2014, 3:00 pm

Chronos wrote:
Warrigul wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Ummmmmm.......

Poorly worded , of course the .303 will out perform the 30-30 but given the lighter bullet weights and shorter barrels that go with the 30-30 I think it can punch above its weight out to 150m

Chronos

I own both but after a couple of seasons (I was young and had always wanted one)relegated the winchester to the safe and now only drag it out for cowboy rifle match ocaissonally(I have also loaned it out a few times for people to try before buying their own). A 30/30 will kill but does lack punch at distance, as I found out.

Load the same weight projectile (150 grainer) in both and the .303 has an extra 400 odd fps on the 30/30

When all is said and done the 30/30 has been around for ever and still does the job for many people, at ranges less than 100m most animals won't know much difference and accuracy doesn't mean much close up, I am not a velocity freak.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics