Announcement: New (and improved) moderation system now live

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Announcement: New (and improved) moderation system now l

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 12:23 pm

Aster wrote:Forgot to address this in my last reply... Regarding the queries about bans, deleted accounts etc.:

As it suggests, posts by "Member-Deleted" are from when an account has actually been removed. This is not a 'ban'. If an account it baned, the author remains visible and posts are still attributed to that account, the account is just no longer usable.

On the subject of missing members and how many have been banned... We haven't banned anyone since the new moderation system came in. We have issued a number of warnings though, and a few people have apparently taken umbrage with receiving one and decided to no longer participate in the forum as a result. So be it.

BFS, for the purposes of saving members from asking questions/waiting for replies from a banned account, some indication of a ban could be useful. I will think on that.

So Aster, what is the difference--as in, what actions constitute being completely deleted (name removed/witheld), as to being banned but remain visible for all to see..?

Is the latter, given you will label them 'approriately' as banned, a shame thing...?

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Aster » 16 Jun 2019, 2:00 pm

Hey Stix,

A ban will always just be a ban. That is, the account exists but when the member tries to log in they will be told they're banned. All posts etc. will remain to provide continuity in topics where they have posted.

From time to time we may have reason to delete an account, but this is unrelated to being banned.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 2:14 pm

I can't see how the intelligent people need a visible notice when they have been removed other than the one issued by the moderators you can't tell me that when you are going to or have insulted someone that you don't know that you have done it or going to do it there are ways to talk to people in public which this forum is and there are ways to talk to people in private what you do in private is your business but what you do in public has to be respectful and morally sound if you disrespect someone or people and disregard it then you are letting your own morals down and loosing the respect from the people and the moderators these forums are also I presume covered by an ethical code of conduct so things and people don't get out of hand there are many on here who just want to cruise and debate guns and the like but if others want to chatter about other things like politics, science ,vegans and so on then do it respectfully this conversation keeps coming up and it doesn't seem to have sunk in to some people the answer to not getting banned is be respectful putting a notice up for all to see may be ok but won't solve the problem tact, respect ,common sense are the key surely its not too hard to do those
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 4:05 pm

I don't see that anyone is asking how to 'not' get banned here...rather the questions i read recently are more about being able to clarify if & who have been banned, along with the difference of a ban vs being deleted--nothing about aaking how to be respectful

Also, while i get your point about being respectful & how to talk to people, i think its wise to always look back a little...

What im saying is---if you walk into a front bar & after just 10 minutes you see a bloke get clobbered just because he talked to a woman, its probably wise to not pull complete judgement on the punch thrower & the few people who quietly applaud...reason being, you have probably missed the fact the bloke who just copped a flogging, has probably 'felt up'& sexually harassed a few women in the pub, along with stolen a few blokes pile of coin on the bar when they go for a leak...this pushing tolerance levels to the brink.

If we take away the opportunity to call someone a few names because they have most likely stirred up the trouble in the first place, we will end up being like Vietnam, China or Nth Korea where everyone who comments negatively about politics gets shot..!....hell--we're not too far off it these days anyway what with not being able to call a lesbian, a lesbian...!!

People have a right to stick up for themselves, & call out antagonists, after all this is not violence, its a few words...

I think you'd find with most cases that looks like someone is being 'disrespectful', if you look back a little, you'll more often than not find they have been continually & surruptiosly rude, antagonistic & insulting in the first place...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 4:55 pm

Yes stix mate I understand what you are saying and I've been in a few dust ups very similar to what you describe but mate you can't be judge and executioner if you go into a pub as you described and act like a dick then you most likely will be in a would of hurt that's life I agree what you do is you decision but on a public forum there is no need for it if you were off the forum and you called some one a whatever the you will most likely be face to face to them and that's your private space but if you stood on the top balcony of the opra house and shouted to the bloke in the bottom front seat then it becomes public and will be dealt with in some form if some one is antagonistic or rude on a forum then you have the intellect to stop him in his tracks respectfully outside in the public domain that's another matter and a belt to the head may bring them to their senses as in the pub but on the other hand I've seen innocent people harmed as well so its a big world out there and we deal with it but on a controlled forum we have time to think and ponder our replies big difference to pubs or anywhere off the net as for being a little off topic I apologise for that
Member-Deleted

Post by Blackened » 16 Jun 2019, 9:31 pm

Locking this now.
Blackened

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation