Winchester recalling 22 ammo - Possible double powder charge

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Winchester recalling 22 ammo - Possible double powder charge

Post by jeebo » 06 Feb 2014, 1:00 pm

FYI for anyone with a 22... This was on BearingArms...

Olin Corporation, through its Winchester Division, is recalling two (2) lots of M*22™ 22 Long Rifle 40 Grain Black Copper Plated Round Nose rimfire ammunition.

Symbol Number: S22LRT
Lot Numbers: GD42L and GD52L

Winchester has determined the above lots of 22 Long Rifle rimfire ammunition may contain double powder charges. Ammunition with double powder charges may subject the shooter or bystanders to a risk of serious personal injury and/or death, or cause firearm damage, rendering the firearm inoperable.

The lot number will be found on the box flap.

If you have any ammunition from these lots, please do not shoot it, and contact Winchester immediately...

Be safe.
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Winchester recalling 22 ammo - Possible double powder ch

Post by Will » 07 Feb 2014, 1:39 pm

Not to marginalised the safety concern, but would a double charge .22 be enough to bulge a barrel or any of the centrefire failure stuff you want to avoid?
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Guliver » 07 Feb 2014, 2:18 pm

If you have a box of .22 ammo that looks like this, stop using it until you read this column and get the facts. There are some .22 rounds out there that could blow up in your gun! Lot Numbers: GD42L and GD52L

http://beatricedailysun.com/sports/loca ... deeea.html
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Davies » 09 Feb 2014, 10:20 am

Will wrote:Not to marginalised the safety concern, but would a double charge .22 be enough to bulge a barrel or any of the centrefire failure stuff you want to avoid?

I dunno about turning a barrel into an octopus like you see from centre fire, but I reckon it you could still bulge a barrel enough to ruin it.
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 09 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

Defiantly cause some issues in a semi auto pistol.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Warrigul » 09 Feb 2014, 1:13 pm

Will wrote:Not to marginalised the safety concern, but would a double charge .22 be enough to bulge a barrel or any of the centrefire failure stuff you want to avoid?

Yep, I know of a Brno that was replaced by an ammunition wholesaler after they analysed the remainder of the brick. The bolt was locked solid and couldn't be shifted by a gunsmith. This happened 20 years ago but was enough for me to always wear eye protection.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Broom » 09 Feb 2014, 8:39 pm

Warrigul wrote:This happened 20 years ago but was enough for me to always wear eye protection.

I think all the SSAA ranges are going that way now.

Mandatory eye protection soon, if not already at a lot of them.
Ruger Gunsite Scout in three oh eight. Oh yeah!
Broom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by CantThinkOfAName » 27 Apr 2016, 12:50 am

Gday, I found this thread via Google.

I received my license and PTO in the mail yesterday morning and picked up my .22 later that day. In the late afternoon I went back to my property and fired about 30 rounds of Winchester Zimmer Long (very quiet ammo, 29gr and 770fps) before firing about 20 rounds of Winchester T22 (40gr and 1070fps). The last round of T22 I fired made a huge CRACK noise like a centrefire rifle and a couple of dogs over 125m away through a thick area of trees started freaking out even though they hadn't previously taken notice of me. There was a HUGE muzzle flash, the first time I'd seen any flash coming from my rifle and it wasn't a regular one either, it was like chunks of burning material were being ejected downwards and to the right in a hemispherical pattern almost a metre away from the muzzle. This is from a 20" barrel BTW.

What should I do? Should I call Winchester or is there a more mundane explanation for what just happened? It doesn't look like there's any damage but I'm no expert, is it safe for me to keep shooting?
CantThinkOfAName
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 27 Apr 2016, 12:18 pm

Don't panic just yet.

What you're describing happens, factory ammo is not perfectly consistent, occasionally you'll get a round that is a little hotter than the rest of the box.

Subsonic rounds do not produce the ballistic crack, supersonic rounds do. At 1,085fps (so says the Winchester website, not 1,070fps) the T22 ammo is borderline supersonic and it would only take a small variance in actually muzzle velocity potentially caused by a number of different factors for two rounds to sound drastically different.

I suspect that is what has happened for you.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Apr 2016, 12:33 pm

That story looks like it's 2yrs old now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Apr 2016, 12:44 pm

was there any difference in the bolt lift and extraction?

I wouldnt worry about the 'double charge', it would mean between 1 and 2 grains of propellant....wont bulge the barrel, wouldnt set the lug back..... might cycle a blow back a bit faster, compress the spring a bit harder....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by CantThinkOfAName » 27 Apr 2016, 6:01 pm

I threw caution into the wind and fired another 100 of so rounds of T22 this afternoon, there were no further problems. I guess subsonic .22 is pretty much a half charge to begin with vs something like CCI Velocitor so I shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Genesis93: I don't remember there being any problems with extraction, I just opened the bolt as quickly as possible and looked at the chamber, I probably should have tried to save the case but it fell in thick grass.
CantThinkOfAName
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by huccl » 10 May 2016, 10:50 am

CantThinkOfAName wrote:I guess subsonic .22 is pretty much a half charge to begin with vs something like CCI Velocitor so I shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Yeah they're not exactly sticks of dynamite :lol:
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics