Using 6.5 Grendel in Rifle Metallic Silhouette?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Using 6.5 Grendel in Rifle Metallic Silhouette?

Post by Outgunned » 05 May 2019, 7:54 pm

Hello to one and all. As a new member I hope I can ask, in regards to shooting in a Rifle Metallic Silhouette competition, if a 6.5 Grendel could ever have enough velocity/energy to remove a ram from its stand at 500m? I understand from the SSAA website that approximately 1000 ft.lb of energy at impact would be required. Before anyone responds, I realise a 6.5 Creedmoor, 260 Remington, 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 308, etc would be much better cartridges but am trying to find the best overall combination of accuracy and lowest felt recoil in a light rifle and am going through a process of elimination.

My specific reason for wanting the lowest recoil in as light a rifle as possible is due to a motorcycle accident I had many years ago that left me with muscle wastage to my right arm & shoulder, so all of the lifting (rifle and right arm) is done with my left arm, leaving my right hand for pulling the trigger only. It doesn't take long for my left arm to get tired and start shaking which is not good for accuracy!

In case you're wondering why Rifle Metallic Silhouette, I presently participate in Handgun Metallic Silhouette and enjoy the personal challenge/reward of hitting the steel targets (sometimes at least) and seeing them fall, so I thought I'd give Rifle a try. If it proves not to be, then I'll look at Benchrest or Fly shoot.

Thanks in advance.
Outgunned
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Using 6.5 Grendel in Rifle Metallic Silhouette?

Post by SCJ429 » 06 May 2019, 8:40 pm

The poor little Grendel will not knock the ram over unless you hit it in the head or horn. Way too low a percentage shot. A 7mmBR Norma has enough energy to do the trick, just and might fit your purpose. Need a barrel and reamer to make one.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by groundhog » 06 May 2019, 8:51 pm

Outgunned.

In short a great little fun for the first 30 animals, not so great for the rams, it does make nice ringing noise when you hit though.
I have one but I don't use mine for RMS- I have a few other rifles that work better.

You will take down some rams but they certainly have to be edge hits, head, legs and high rump. The guys who have used them have been running 140gn sierras and they have had some success on rams with these.
groundhog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 06 May 2019, 9:41 pm

It may or may not knock the rams over but seriously I would not let that bother you, if you can knock over the other 30 chickens, pigs and turkeys then any rams will be a bonus, 30 is a very good score for centrefire silhouette :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics