Heavy .223 loads vs light .243 ones

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Heavy .223 loads vs light .243 ones

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jun 2019, 7:32 pm

All things being equal the 1:12 barrel will shoot 50 grain projectiles more accurately than a 1:8. The extra rpm from the faster twist increases the vibration from jacket runout. Using lighter flat based bullets your rifle will be hard to beat out to 300 metres.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Jun 2019, 9:04 am

The 12 twist will stabilize smaller projectiles they've 8 twisty cannot as it will spin them to fast.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 14 Jun 2019, 9:15 am

Apollo wrote:
CrackThump wrote:*I'd like to know the difference in hunting performance and what you can/can't/shouldn't take with this.*

From this first line, I dunno, potentially she's asking about energy delivered on target and knockdown potential. ?

Who says it's a "she".... :sarcasm:

BTW.... in your signature line, what's this "cracker" "thumper" "bruiser" bit...???

Gezzus Apollo, haven’t ya heard of shazza ? She’s the girlfriend/wife of dazza :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 14 Jun 2019, 6:13 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I use a 69g pill in my 223 and i used to a one point shoot the 58g vmax on a max load of 2208 if you are shooting small varmints it was a absolute pleasure take a neck shot and off would fly the head and so on and so forth. 69g 223 round would be used for longer distance shooting a lots less impressive but bang on in the accuracy department.

I stopped shooting the light stuff due to the complete fact that other than spectacular explosive expansion the barrels not going to last.

I still shoot 69g pills in the 223 for mostly target and longer range feral sniping. I have moved to a 87g vmax for the 243 still moving but not costing barrel life.

Hope this helps

+1 The .224 Sierra Match King 69 grn HPBT is an absolute gem.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Jun 2019, 7:43 pm

Ziad wrote:The 12 twist will stabilize smaller projectiles they've 8 twisty cannot as it will spin them to fast.

You can shoot light projectiles out of a 1:8 barrel, you will find that 40 grain projectiles shoot adequately well, the extra rpm make them quite explosive on game. The only time the extra rpm becomes a problem is when the jacket comes apart.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 14 Jun 2019, 9:08 pm

xDom wrote:While we’re talking about.223’s can I chime in with another question.?
I understand that a 1:8 twist can stabilise a heavier bullet allowing it to shoot out to a much greater distance than the 1:12.
My .223 has the 1:12. I didn’t know anything about twist rates when I bought it, it was recommended as a good all round hunting rifle for smaller game.
My question is, what advantage does the 1:12 twist have over the other and is it actually a better fit for hunting?
Thanks

You have answered your own question Dom - the different twist rates are MOST suitable to particular projectile weights. If you wanted to use projectile weights upwards of 60gn, then the 1:8 twist is most suitable. For projectile weights up to 60gn then the 1:12 is most suitable. Of course, both twist rates will still shoot varying weights well, but you have the choice of twist rates depending on your purpose for the rifle.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics