Anyone using a 303-25

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Anyone using a 303-25

Post by mickb » 03 Jul 2019, 10:53 pm

Just wondering...
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Anyone using a 303-25

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jul 2019, 11:36 pm

Paul hogan had one in crocodile dundee
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 04 Jul 2019, 2:34 am

lol
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 04 Jul 2019, 4:45 am

I know a fella who just bought a old sportco in really good original factory sporterised condition. It shoots pretty good without much recoil. I saw him shoot a 1” group at 50 with the original mark 3 sights too . . Back 30+ years ago 303-25 and 270 were still popular sporting rounds
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 04 Jul 2019, 4:51 am

Not for a very long time, still have a couple of packets of Riverland ammo though, was going to give it to a mate who has a No5 Jungle Carbine in 303-25, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 04 Jul 2019, 4:54 am

I have two 303-25's, a SMLE No1 MkIII* & a P-14.
The SMLE has one of those synthetic stocks that served a purpose but now annoys me, so it'll be replaced with a timber one, aka Boyds.
The P-14 has had a cock on opening kit installed and I'm considering a Timney trigger.
Different loads for both as I push the P-14 a bit hotter than the SMLE loads.
There are more of them around than you'd think. Same goes for the 303-22Swift/Falcon, the 303-243 & 303-270.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Jul 2019, 8:11 am

I’m seeing a resurgence in old school 303 sportco made sporters. A lot of old fellas must be retiring and selling of their collection. Still a lot of interest from younger shooters to experience the 303 and it’s variations . I think it’s ingrained in the Australian culture
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 04 Jul 2019, 7:29 pm

I once had a 303 22 but there were different versions of it and I had trouble with dies being different to my chamber. And brass was a problem. It did not stabilise bullets either it was ugly too Total disaster really
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Jul 2019, 7:42 pm

my uncle had one and absolutely loved it
it was his favorite fallow deer rifle for years
head shots only and shooting crows out to 250 very easy
was funny to watch this 80+ year old man line up with a bit of a shake
you would think no way but I cant recall him missing
he would always push you out of the way to gut the animal out as well
made tough as nails :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 04 Jul 2019, 7:58 pm

Mate of mine still uses one on occasion. It’s a family heirloom.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 04 Jul 2019, 11:20 pm

I know a bloke with one - been sporterized. He loves it and loads his own iirc
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by yumastepside » 05 Jul 2019, 9:38 am

My old number one was in 303-25 and I re-cut the chamber to 257 Roberts rimmed ( 7x57 rimmed cases ) and no other changes. I used to have a 7x57R/12g BRNO combination, so I have plenty of cases.

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 05 Jul 2019, 10:45 am

marksman wrote:my uncle had one and absolutely loved it
it was his favorite fallow deer rifle for years
head shots only and shooting crows out to 250 very easy
was funny to watch this 80+ year old man line up with a bit of a shake
you would think no way but I cant recall him missing
he would always push you out of the way to gut the animal out as well
made tough as nails :thumbsup:

luv it :D shout the old bloke a beer for me . the younger generation can learn a lot from his generation :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 05 Jul 2019, 12:38 pm

did shout him plenty of beers over the years BR :thumbsup: :drinks:
he's past on now but he left a hell of a lot behind :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mickb » 08 Jul 2019, 6:02 am

good to hear its still out there. Its funny how times change, I remember growing up and them being more common, naturally. There was always some old timer around with one. I hadnt seen one in ages here.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by yumastepside » 08 Jul 2019, 8:54 am

Slightly off topic, sorry, but I was going through some old brass the other night and found an original Super 303/270 case....I had one on a P14 when I was a kid.

Roger
yumastepside
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by SSC » 12 Jul 2019, 11:13 pm

Just found this site.
so I am newbie to Enough Gun.

.303 fan I am, though I have always had a soft spot for the .303/25.
Why? well because it is Australian, I believe it was popular in Canada as well?
However, someone may put me right on that because I am not certain of this.

A Caveat to start, this is general information.
Some scenes I witnessed as a small boy.
Other Information; I have obtained by speaking to many older
firearm knowledgeable, gentlemen,over the last 40 years or so.

Sadly, many of these people have now passed on.

No doubt there are many people on this forum.
Who have much more knowledge, than me on the .303/25.
Happy to be corrected, that's how I learn.

Background

The 303/25 in Australian use. fitted into a niche, for professional Roo Shooters and many others.
that seemed later to be filled by the more modern .243.

Until 1975 when Australia signed the Lima Declaration.
Australia had Tariff Walls up to protect our Australian industries.
Which is why we now have no domestic car industry, among other related issues.
However, that is another story.

Prior to this time, lets go back to say, around 1965.
Sporting Firearm Imports were restricted in number, particularly from the USA.
Taxed by Customs when they landed dockside in Australia, always a pleasant experience!
Yes, we had some, for example 32-20?, , 30-30 WIN, among others.
Model 94 and some Marlin lever action rifles were common and always seemed to be readily available.

At the time and up until about 1973.
Australia still had preferential Import/ Export deals with the UK.
Under residual agreements from the various, Old British Empire, Trading Schemes.
Such a system allowed for the home ground, advantage.

This is one reason why .303/25 flourished, also ammunition was locally produced for the.303/25 in quantity.
People did reload it and surplus WW2 .303 ammunition was both professionally and privately resized and converted.
Hence.303/25 ammunition and components were affordable and easily obtainable, unlike later years.

Remember too
In NSW, apart from the Govt sponsored .303 Target Rifle Clubs.
For many years possession of a full Military .303 calibre rifle in that state was not legal.
This also underpinned the .303/25 enduring popularity.

This NSW law was also the reason the 7.7 X54 Rifle and ammunition came in to being.
Looks like a .303 SMLE, weighs nearly the same. Even smells like one, but from a technical and legal standpoint it is not.
(This is why gun laws, always work so well!)

However that is another Story.

(NB: 7.7 X 54R Aussie is Not to be confused with Russian 7X54R. or 7.7X56R, JAP!
OK! You can be Confused! Just understand, they are not the same rifle rounds, OK )

BTW, does the heart good to see .303/25 Ammo, back in production, and reminds me that many young people
are still proud to be Australian. That's a Good thing!

In the late 1960's you would still see British made Shotguns and Parker Hale, rifles in racks.
at sporting goods and commonly, too mens, clothing stores.

As small boy at Mum or Dad's side.
I did see on several occasions
Where a gent would walk into the store for say a sports jacket or trousers.
Where he would be measured and fitted for the item by the attentive staff.
Customer service was taken very seriously.

Usually if the gent had to take a seat whilst waiting for an alteration or
a free attendant to come by.

Customer, chairs always seemed to face those stunning gun racks.
Always a well lit area and backed by wonderful wooden paneled veneer, behind.

Those rifles and shotguns would appear to glow a shiny reflection of glistening, metallic blue and black,
with the stock timbers, polished to a tee.
They did know about Product Placement, back then.
However, it probably was not called that.

So our pondering, gent.
Now fitted with his outdoor sports jacket would occasionally, say.
After some consideration of calibre and rifle pull etc
I will take that Rifle too!
The gent would then pay his bill.
If he was well heeled and had money
He may well also purchase a good looking canvas covered case or
leather clad gun-bag, for the trip home.

For the Chap who was on a budget or maybe just a Tight Wad!
Remember not all family's had cars, either.
The staff were also happy to wrap your firearm in stripped brown paper,
from a big roll on the counter.

Many a man left the store with his new rifle, brown paper wrapped, under his arm.
Proudly wearing his new sports jacket, as he boarded the bus/train for the trip home.
Struggling now with his package to give the bus driver or conductor the right change.
or maybe have his bus/train ticket clipped.

The new jacket now appearing to be somewhat ill fitting or slightly bulging .
From the two, twenty round boxes of ammunition.
Stuffed into each side pocket of the twill jacket.

Looking back, no one on the bus or train seemed to give those gents.
More.than an initial glance, before again heads down in their newspaper.
However, I digress

.303/25 rifles were still reasonably popular, in North and outback QLD.
In our many groups of shooters from 83- 93 there always seemed to be one and sometimes two
Till around the 90,s
From 1995 on
Friends of mine who had them, still loved them.
However, apart from DIY reloading, factory ammunition, seemed to just dry up.

Your .303/25 in good hands will do everything,
your mates,243 can do.

BTW, that is No Disrespect at all to the.243,
Being the fine calibre and cartridge that it is.

it is just that .303/25 was on hand in this country.
In both good and austere times, when the .243 was not.

Presently not aware of new production rifles, chambered for .303/25.

But that means nothing.
Look at the 45/70 Revival, Wow!

45/70, In the Seventy's whilst not quite dead.
Certainly was comatose for a long period and
on life support at the time.

I am certain that in Australia
.303.25 will always have a following.

It is my sincerest hope that a senior gent out there
will remember a similar past, sports or clothing store experience.
From a very different Australia.

Kindest Regards

SSC

Kind Regards

SSC

You can Ignore the Facts!
What You Won't be Able to Ignore.
Is the Consequences! of Ignoring the Facts.
Ayn Rand
SSC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Supply » 20 Apr 2023, 6:57 pm

Just found this old thread thought I'd contribute. I remember when i was a kid mum used this old 303.25 sporter she shot kangys, dingoes, killers and chicken hawks on the wing with open sights. That was in the 50s.
Later as i got older i was allowed to take it to shoot the killers that were needed about every 2 weeks.
I loved the .25 and preferred it over the regular 303. For over 30 yrs i would use it every 2 weeks or so to head shoot the killers using the open sights. Head shots were preferred as otherwise the good meat would be bruised. It was devastating on dingoes as well. I don't confess to be a crack shot by any means and am probably average at best but the 303.25 combined with the open sights were just at one with me and i loved it. Now im a grandfather. I really miss using the 303.25.
Supply
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by JohnV » 23 Apr 2023, 1:32 pm

One time while helping my brother do some plumbing and drainage work under a house on the North shore of Sydney I found an SMLE no 2 mark 3 I think that was converted to 303/270 . It was all wrapped up in grease and under the floor boards .
Took it to show the owner he nearly had a fit . I said If you don't want it I'm a hunter I will take it , no licenses back then . He was more than happy to see it gone .
Turned out to be a good shooter . I eventually sold it to buy a Parker Hale . I regretted selling it later as I wanted to turn it into a take down rifle but bugger I sold it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by animalpest » 23 Apr 2023, 8:25 pm

I don't have one but boy do I wish I did.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Peterwho » 23 Apr 2023, 9:26 pm

I have a friend up the road on the Central Coast who has a couple of 303/25s. He has done lots of development on them eg 25epps AI over the years. He spends most of his screen time on the African Hunting site. Brilliant guns, great shooter and walking encyclopedia on his chosen calibers. Absolutely mad about 35 whelens. Not a fan of 243s so likely to disagree with SSCs comment
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 24 Apr 2023, 6:30 am

Peterwho wrote:I have a friend up the road on the Central Coast who has a couple of 303/25s. He has done lots of development on them eg 25epps AI over the years. He spends most of his screen time on the African Hunting site. Brilliant guns, great shooter and walking encyclopedia on his chosen calibers. Absolutely mad about 35 whelens. Not a fan of 243s so likely to disagree with SSCs comment

i found 243's to be tempremental to load for at times . i put it down to that long angled case shoulder . the 303-25 had good ballistics and has gained ground as a oddity in the USA from what i've seen on forums . the other 25 cal that i think is a real good thing is the 257 bob .unfortunately , it's just far easier to buy a box of 243 or 6.5CM ammo of the shelf these days , which is why these great old 25's have faded . that and the fact 25 cal projectiles in general don't have great BC's . could they come back in popularity :unknown: 45-70 was almost dead by the early 70's , but bounced back and was rediscovered . trying to get brass for the 25's is the biggest pain . making it can be done , but as i get older , buying it off the shelf is a more attractive option :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 24 Apr 2023, 8:32 pm

I recently picked up a no4 mk1 in 303-25 shoots well with the 70s scope i hope to change out for something a little better great little calibre.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 24 Apr 2023, 8:42 pm

bigrich wrote:
Peterwho wrote:I have a friend up the road on the Central Coast who has a couple of 303/25s. He has done lots of development on them eg 25epps AI over the years. He spends most of his screen time on the African Hunting site. Brilliant guns, great shooter and walking encyclopedia on his chosen calibers. Absolutely mad about 35 whelens. Not a fan of 243s so likely to disagree with SSCs comment

i found 243's to be tempremental to load for at times . i put it down to that long angled case shoulder . the 303-25 had good ballistics and has gained ground as a oddity in the USA from what i've seen on forums . the other 25 cal that i think is a real good thing is the 257 bob .unfortunately , it's just far easier to buy a box of 243 or 6.5CM ammo of the shelf these days , which is why these great old 25's have faded . that and the fact 25 cal projectiles in general don't have great BC's . could they come back in popularity :unknown: 45-70 was almost dead by the early 70's , but bounced back and was rediscovered . trying to get brass for the 25's is the biggest pain . making it can be done , but as i get older , buying it off the shelf is a more attractive option :D

.243 is a case that benefits from separating sizing operations . Using a Lee collet neck sizer and a Redding body die . Also the short neck has it's own potential problems if not accommodated . I know many will disagree but I have found that through many years of hand loading for one .
6 mm Remington was the superior case design but alas lying gun magazine writers spelled it's doom . I have worked out fro my guns how to make the .243 shoot as good as anything else but it's a bit more work than some others .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 28 Apr 2023, 1:56 pm

One of the good things about rimmed cases is there is no worries about pushing the shoulder back too far when sizing as the rim sets the head clearance not any shoulder . You can size right down to the rim and your done . If you need to back off a bit and have a longer base to shoulder spec you can do that also as long as no case bulge happens at the base above the rim .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by gunnnie » 19 Jul 2023, 11:29 pm

You can't knock a 'Quarter-bore'!! LOL!
Great calibre, my favourite actually. I run rifles for several different 25cals. Have had a long love affair with the 257Roberts Ackley Imp and it performs well with 90gn projectiles. There's a lot of mates that have pestered, hounded me for years about my disdain for the 243 but they usually shut up when one of my 25's does a better job than their Pope guns!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Destiny » 23 Sep 2023, 7:55 am

I have owned a Sportco model of the 303-25 since I was 17.... I'm now the reverse of these numbers at 71. I loved this rifle when I bought it off a friend for $25. I fitted a scope to it but otherwise original in excellent condition. I haven't sent a round down it now for probably 40 years in reality. My grandsons are showing a keen interest in sport shooting so I think one of them might be inheriting it soon.
I also have SMLE full wood 1943 .303 also bought when I was 17 for $2!! This is teamed up with my late father's personal issue WWII bayonet. Wonderful rifles to own.
Destiny
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 11 Nov 2023, 1:55 am

Good post and read there Destiny
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics