Tikka factory ammo 223

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Tikka factory ammo 223

Post by Ranchmonkey » 24 Jul 2019, 2:51 pm

Hi

May have been covered but couldnt find anything on it....the Tikka 223 factory ammo....any reviews or comparisons to other factory ammo? Some reasonable prices around.

Cheers
Ranchmonkey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Tikka factory ammo 223

Post by flutch » 24 Jul 2019, 2:54 pm

imagine its like all other ammo, your gun will either like it or not like it.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jul 2019, 9:04 pm

Ranchmonkey wrote:Hi

May have been covered but couldnt find anything on it....the Tikka 223 factory ammo....any reviews or comparisons to other factory ammo? Some reasonable prices around.

Cheers

I have never fired any factory .223 ammo, but I did pick up a batch of once-fired Tikka brass, it looks pretty good. Probably made by Norma.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:37 pm

I have never used these either but OSA Outback? Make some ammo using the 69 grain Sierra Match kings. The should shoot pretty well out of a 1:8 barrel.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jul 2019, 10:38 pm

Not a hunt projectile mind you, what are you planning to shoot at?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 25 Jul 2019, 7:17 am

I got a box of the Tikka 22-250 ammo to test in a Zastava mini mauser :o ,

thought I read somewhere a while back that it is norma brass with Tikka stamp, not sure if it is true.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 25 Jul 2019, 10:36 am

At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ranchmonkey » 25 Jul 2019, 10:38 am

Just for roos...might look at the outback too then. Been using Varmint X which seems to be ok and was on special at LGS

Cheers all
Ranchmonkey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 25 Sep 2019, 9:36 pm

I have it from a good authority that Tikka ammo has been discontinued .....and Beretta hedging their bets on the Sako line of ammo.

Some good quality loads in the sako line up but pricey - but having said that if your are not a high volume shooter or plinker a box or three of their decent ammo will last you a while - and should equate to a deer with every shot!!- if you do your part!!

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by knowsnothin » 25 Sep 2019, 10:02 pm

solarpak wrote:I have it from a good authority that Tikka ammo has been discontinued .....and Beretta hedging their bets on the Sako line of ammo.

Some good quality loads in the sako line up but pricey - but having said that if your are not a high volume shooter or plinker a box or three of their decent ammo will last you a while - and should equate to a deer with every shot!!- if you do your part!!

C.

For what its worth. The tikka, sako and outback all shoot excellent from my rifle. outback is cheapest for plinking. sako is good for brass. haven't bought tikka for a while but would grab it if cheap.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 27 Sep 2019, 10:23 pm

Slightly off topic but didn’t wanna start a new thread.

How many rounds in what time frame could you fire out of Tikka lite .223 1:12 before accuracy would be compromised? Roughly..

I used to have the varmint but traded it in for the lite, I know this is a factor for the sporter models.
Cheers
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Sep 2019, 8:25 pm

What exactly do you mean? How many rounds before cleaning? How many rounds quickly before the barrel gets to hot, or just how round can you can expect out of a well cared for barrel like expected rounds for total barrel life?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 28 Sep 2019, 9:09 pm

xDom wrote:Slightly off topic but didn’t wanna start a new thread.

How many rounds in what time frame could you fire out of Tikka lite .223 1:12 before accuracy would be compromised? Roughly..

I used to have the varmint but traded it in for the lite, I know this is a factor for the sporter models.
Cheers

Speaking roughly, I would guess that if you sat there with a pile of ammo and just kept feeding them through it as fast as you could, you'd see accuracy dropping off quite quickly, probably well short of 50 rounds. Whether that would be enough to permanently damage the barrel I can't say, but a couple hundred like that most probably would.

Iraqveteran8888 on Youtube has done a lot of "melt-down" videos with full-auto rifles, including .22LR, and .223 barrels are drooping noticeably within a few hundred rounds of full-auto. It only takes about 120rds to have the barrel glowing red hot.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoagig7ANyXMgzv0WPE70tJQvqEP-78Am
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 29 Sep 2019, 7:33 am

sungazer wrote:What exactly do you mean? How many rounds before cleaning? How many rounds quickly before the barrel gets to hot, or just how round can you can expect out of a well cared for barrel like expected rounds for total barrel life?

What I was meant is if I had my rifle sighted in and I fired the magazine of 4 in as quick of succession as I could manage, would there be any expectation that the point of impact would wander. albeit slightly due to the heat?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2019, 7:40 am

xDom wrote:
sungazer wrote:What exactly do you mean? How many rounds before cleaning? How many rounds quickly before the barrel gets to hot, or just how round can you can expect out of a well cared for barrel like expected rounds for total barrel life?

What I was meant is if I had my rifle sighted in and I fired the magazine of 4 in as quick of succession as I could manage, would there be any expectation that the point of impact would wander. albeit slightly due to the heat?

It's possible, some rifles throw the first cold bore shot wide of where the rest group once it's warmed up. A target shooter will fire sighters before shooting for score, a hunter wants that first cold shot on zero.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 29 Sep 2019, 7:44 am

So, is it true that if you can comfortably grip the barrel with your hand then it’s no where near being overheated?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2019, 8:27 am

xDom wrote:So, is it true that if you can comfortably grip the barrel with your hand then it’s no where near being overheated?

If you can comfortably hold the barrel then it's under about 45 degrees, so yes, too cool to be a problem.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics