7mm-08 specific question - hunting related

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 7mm-08 specific question - hunting related

Post by bigrich » 20 Aug 2019, 4:56 am

SCJ429 wrote:I agree Rich, you have to try stuff. The 6.5x55 is a tricky one because the load data is so conservative because of the old actions chambered in this caliber. We were using a 143 grain ELDX with 47.8 grains of 2209 for a speed of 2984 fps to get it to shoot. SD was 5 and it will shoot 1/4 inch. I had tried some VV powder before this but ran out of room in the case.

I am no expert with the Swede but the problems you had with 2209 may have been because the bullet wasn't going fast enough. I had to stick 47.9 grains of it behind a 130 grain SGK going 3035 fps before it came good.

I went as high as 47 gn of 2209 in my 6.5 and all different manner of COL , and it just didn’t perform as well as reloader for me. 47 gn is 3 gn over max , and did show pressure signs. What was interesting is my rifle with reloader 22 gets outstanding accuracy out of 120 Nosler BT’s when supposedly the faster 2208 or RL19 is the powder to use. There’s no absolutes in this game. After having my 222 rebarreled with a 1-12 twist BM2 has the edge in accuracy over other powders , which according to lots of people is too slow. I develop loads cautiously for my rifles, and treat each as a individual. Most load data is conservative, I consider uncle Nick’s load book to be the most honest data I’ve come across and he’s tested a wide range of powders for different rifles, some of which wouldn’t be a first choice but do work supprisingly well . If reloading was very easy it wouldn’t be fun I guess :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: 7mm-08 specific question - hunting related

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Aug 2019, 8:11 am

I am cautious too and was creeping up by 0.2 of a grain to find the cases potential was frustrating. When you are five grains over and not a single pressure sign I have to wonder why they don't publish two lots of data, one for older actions and one for modern actions like they do for the 45/70.

We are very lucky to have one of the best powder makers here in Australia. If I lived in Europe I would use more local VV and Alliant powder but would have to get some Varget (2208).
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics