Factory 9mm suitable where FMJ is prohibited (Met-Sil)?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Factory 9mm suitable where FMJ is prohibited (Met-Sil)?

Post by Bremen » 09 Sep 2019, 6:27 pm

Hi
Having a crack at Met-Sil with my 9mm. I've been advised FMJ is not suitable as it's too hard on the targets and dangerous. Most guys reload and use lead but I can't get a definitive if lead is suitable for my barrel.
I've come across the following:
- Federal/American Eagle Syntech which is a coated projectile I believe specifically designed for shooting steel;
-Winchester WinClean Soft Point with brass projectile base;
They seem ideal but I can't find any data on how destructive they might be towards steel targets?
I've been told I can use jacketed hollow point if the lead is clearly visible in the projectile but they are quite expensive.

Any experience?
Bremen
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Factory 9mm suitable where FMJ is prohibited (Met-Sil)?

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Sep 2019, 7:45 pm

G'day Bremen,
Lead can be used in any barrel, if a particular barrel shows leading, even with a good cleaning regimen then invest in a Lewis lead removal tool and keep shooting. Over here we can use FMJ and copper washed like Berrys on Field Pistol Metallic with no issues as we use a 500 Brinell steel that withstands any handgun round. Buy the LRN ammo or take up reloading as a hobby sideline, then load with coated projectiles. If you can get Federal Syntech do it, it is specifically made for steel targets, and Federal use to load a coated bullet many years ago, so have the knowledge to do it right, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bremen » 10 Sep 2019, 10:53 am

Thanks mate
I've always avoided un-jacketed in Glocks and I believe the manual stipulated not to use it. Something to do with the rifling fouling too quick leading to excessive pressure? My pistol is a Grand Power K100 / STI GP6.

I can get Syntech for $25 per 50rdns. I'm hoping to find a bulk price if I can use them.
The cheapest ammo I've come across is S&B FMJ at $360 per 1000.
I don't reload. I like the idea if it but I don't think I have the room etc.
Bremen
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 10 Sep 2019, 5:04 pm

Companies offering postage:
https://www.westcastings.org/
http://hrbc.com.au/
No problems with leading when velocities are kept low.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 10 Sep 2019, 5:16 pm

Bremen wrote:I don't reload. I like the idea if it but I don't think I have the room etc.

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 11 Sep 2019, 12:23 am

in2anity wrote:
Bremen wrote:I don't reload. I like the idea if it but I don't think I have the room etc.

https://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-hand-press.html

That's how I started reloading and started with 9mm. You can also buy the little Lee Powder Measure and screw it to a block of wood and also a Lee Hand Primer. It's perfectly fine if you want to load yourself a box or two of 9mm up. I reload by the thousands now so I have a progressive press but for someone just wanting to replace the box of ammo they just shot, those Lee tools will work just fine for a basic round like 9mm.

When I started reloading I didn't know if I was going to like reloading or not so I bought the hand press. You can actually bang out ammo pretty fast with it.

For those of you shooting 9mm, reloading it will give you all the options in the world, from regular lead bullets to plated to FMJ. I do a variety of custom 9mm for my own purposes.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics