For those who think heavier projectiles buck the wind

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: For those who think heavier projectiles buck the wind

Post by bigrich » 27 Oct 2019, 9:42 am

bigpete wrote:Tested this for myself the other day. Yeah,the 17hmr doesn't drift bugger all as far as I'm concerned

Regardless of lack of drift, I’m still not a fan of 17hmr, split cases are common and I’ve seen people believe the hype about them and try to do things with a 20 gn projectile that ya probably shouldn’t. I suppose if ya got lots of bunnies and ya not after the meat, or theirs foxes and cats a plenty it makes sense. For pin point accuracy at reasonable distance I’m quite happy with my 222. :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 27 Oct 2019, 9:53 am

They do sweet f all damage to the meat lol.
I'm using mine virtually all the time now to shoot for cash. And the tiny pill is reasonably safe to use around the vineyards. But yes,anything bigger than a fox is really a no go.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 27 Oct 2019, 11:32 am

bigpete wrote:They do sweet f all damage to the meat lol.
I'm using mine virtually all the time now to shoot for cash. And the tiny pill is reasonably safe to use around the vineyards. But yes,anything bigger than a fox is really a no go.

yeah well, if ya shooting for cash it makes perfect sense . not a lot of bunnies around where i live ,so not much use for 22lr , 17hmr or other light calibers . foxes are getting a lot more common in the south east corner of QLD but ,not uncommon to see them around outer suburbs of brisbane, logan and ipswich now . my 222 suits the occasional roo culling i've done , with the reach and power for any fox/cat i come across :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2019, 3:09 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:They do sweet f all damage to the meat lol.

yeah well, if ya shooting for cash it makes perfect sense . not a lot of bunnies around where i live ,so not much use for 22lr , 17hmr or other light calibers . foxes are getting a lot more common in the south east corner of QLD but ,not uncommon to see them around outer suburbs of brisbane, logan and ipswich now . my 222 suits the occasional roo culling i've done , with the reach and power for any fox/cat i come across :thumbsup:

its more about the type of projectile l have found eg... 17 cal v/z-max projectiles are not as good as the old 25gr hornady hollow points for head shooting
l agree that the v/z-max projectiles are only good for up to fox size critters :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Oct 2019, 7:03 pm

Where are you getting 25gn 17hmr ammo from ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 27 Oct 2019, 7:34 pm

bigpete wrote:Where are you getting 25gn 17hmr ammo from ?

l new someone would pick me up on that pete
no its not a 17hmr l am shooting its a 17 ackley hornet :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Oct 2019, 7:59 pm

That does intrigue me a little. Bit fiddly to reload for fingers used to 35 cal pills lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 27 Oct 2019, 9:32 pm

marksman wrote:
bigpete wrote:Where are you getting 25gn 17hmr ammo from ?

l new someone would pick me up on that pete
no its not a 17hmr l am shooting its a 17 ackley hornet :drinks:

17 hornet seemed like a awesome bit of gear, but the ackley version must be fantastic . i've been over the ballistics of the 17 hornet, and i'm supprised i don't hear more of them as they are a real flat shooter with great accuracy at distance . i don't have a real use for the caliber, but it's ballistics are impressive :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics