Types of Ammo for A22R

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Types of Ammo for A22R

Post by longneck75 » 07 Nov 2019, 4:31 pm

Anybody have a A22R? What ammo do you use?
Shop tried telling me nothing less than CCI Mini Mag but NIOA say even sub sonic still works...
longneck75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Types of Ammo for A22R

Post by bladeracer » 07 Nov 2019, 6:00 pm

longneck75 wrote:Anybody have a A22R? What ammo do you use?
Shop tried telling me nothing less than CCI Mini Mag but NIOA say even sub sonic still works...

Only way to know what the rifle prefers is to try everything you can find.
I lean toward subsonic myself, even for hunting, although the Velocitor shoots pretty reasonable in my Rugers if you want high-velocity. I find CCI Std Vel drops foxes just fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 08 Nov 2019, 12:31 pm

The a22r is based on the semi auto a22 subsonics wont cycle the action of my ruger 1022 so the same might apply for the a22 how different the action on the a22r is i dont know stick to ammo that runs 1200 fps and you should be ok
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westaussieguy » 08 Nov 2019, 1:22 pm

The ratchet action on the a22r is designed to work with most types of ammo, from CCI Quiets up to Velocitors and Stingers. Depending on the ammo used is how far the bolt comes back, it locks into position and then released with the lever to feed the next round. We have had a few come through our shop and we haven't had any customers come back with any problems. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Westaussieguy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by longneck75 » 03 Dec 2019, 7:44 pm

thanks guys, im not after groupings, just fun and bunny busting.
Sticking with CCI Standards, the ruger precision is a different story though.
longneck75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Dec 2019, 7:50 pm

longneck75 wrote:thanks guys, im not after groupings, just fun and bunny busting.
Sticking with CCI Standards, the ruger precision is a different story though.

CCI SV is still the best shooting in my RPR as well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 04 Dec 2019, 7:14 am

The sk rifle match shoots well in mine. The RWS subsonics work the action just fine all the way back the same as the standard velocity. However they did no feed well through the magazine the mag just wouldnt spin too much wax or oil. The GS owner said the same when I asked about feeding issues of course his first answer was they never have any but internet searches showed some. He suggested the CCI. I will continue on with the SK and see if any issues occur.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by InisBineest » 17 Feb 2020, 7:36 pm

Farmerpete wrote:The a22r is based on the semi auto a22 subsonics wont cycle the action of my ruger 1022 so the same might apply for the a22 how different the action on the a22r is i dont know stick to ammo that runs 1200 fps and you should be ok

My A22r works perfectly fine on Remington subsonics. They did make a song and dance about the ratchet style blow back being able to handle just about anything. I've used mostly standard to high velocity winchester, browning and federal ammo (bulk pack stuff), but i had a few boxes of Remington subs, and they did just fine. I can only fault the Remington ammo on several failures to ignite... but that has happened in every 22 i've ever owned with that particular ammo. Its quiet, but not too reliable in my experience:(
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics