6.5 Creedmoor definetely better than .308?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor definetely better than .308?

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Dec 2019, 8:10 am

Won't a 300wm be better longer range than 6.5... If you run 200/210gr projectiles
Last edited by Sergeant Hartman on 20 Dec 2019, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 20 Dec 2019, 8:16 am

Ziad wrote:Won't a 300wm be better longer range than 6.5... If you ruin 200/210gr projectiles

A 300 win mag will definitely ruin 200 g projectiles mate .... :P

Ya phone spelling got ya again :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Dec 2019, 8:18 am

Yep sorry back on the phone again... can't carry the laptop everywhere.. even at 2kg it gets a bit too much esp in this heat
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Dec 2019, 12:09 pm

Ziad wrote:Won't a 300wm be better longer range than 6.5... If you run 200/210gr projectiles

it depends on what 6.5 Ziad, the 300wm's ballistics are not as good as the 6.5x284 with 140-142gr bullets @ 2950-3000fps
the barrels have around the same accuracy life but the 6.5x284 is a hell of a lot easier to shoot
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Dec 2019, 12:17 pm

Sorry mate, the post was in reference to Faedy who is looking at a 6.5 creedmore for long range shooting
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Dec 2019, 5:38 pm

Faedy wrote:I'm in the market for a long range rifle atm. Already got 308 and 300winmag.
Looked at the Lithgow Woomera in 6.5 creedmoor yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by the feel and weight of it.

Could you try shooting 90 grain Bergers out of your 243 for some long range action?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 20 Dec 2019, 6:06 pm

Ziad wrote:Mate a couple words of free advise.

Stop internet research. Just go shoot the 22lr as much as you can.

Make friends with a couple of older shooters, talk to them and ask them for advise. Try and shoot a few of their rifles, ask then for advise.

I see you are getting confused with all this much info. I know I was... I have made a few mistakes and as I learn I realise what I want now is different then when I started.

I don't think his internet research is detrimental to his quest for knowledge and experience. He is probably wearing out the barrel on his Ruger rimfire, talking to the shooters at the range and then in his spare time asking questions on some forums. At the very least it has made some good reading here. More power to you Republic Lad .05
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 20 Dec 2019, 8:59 pm

Ziad wrote:Sorry mate, the post was in reference to Faedy who is looking at a 6.5 creedmore for long range shooting

Thats because my 300 winmag is set up with a boyyds thumbhole stock for hunting etc and our pathetic WA laws sort of force me to pick an alternate calibre to out in another PTA.
The 6.5C will be mainly for range duties
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by poid » 20 Dec 2019, 10:39 pm

TheFirearmEnthusiast wrote:Thanks for your feedback poid
How are you finding your Tikka T3X lite?

It's excellent...nicely finished, lightweight and and is very accurate. I'm not that experienced a shooter so still getting used to the larger cal, but I'm already enjoying it.

At the range, it's light so has a sharp kick to it and the barrel also heats up quickly, so it's definitely a hunting rifle and not a range rifle. The shoulder gets sore after putting a couple of boxes through it, but for one or two of shots like a hunting situation it's perfect.

I also shot a mate's braked and heavier barrelled Tikka 308 during my last range session and it's a much better rifle for that kind of shooting. I'm definitely in the camp of getting the right rifle for a specific job, rather than a single rifle to try and do everything.
poid
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 21 Dec 2019, 7:20 pm

Sorry about the delay in response Lads, been busy the past few days, Christmas time and all

In2anity;
Thank you for your feedback i2anity, I agree with everything you’ve said

Spanielz11;
Thank you for your feedback, I agree. It’s best to buy a rifle that’s dedicated to target shooting and another one that’s dedicated for hunting. This way you can fully excel at both, I agree :) In an ideal world, on a practical perspective, it would be so much easier to buy "just the one rifle" that does it all, that both perfectly well, but of course, that would not be realistic :)

Am88;
Thank you for your feedback, you’re right. It is 100% better to start out with a .22LR and then work your way up from there. Look I honestly adore firearms, and I wanna do things right. So 100% I will practise A LOT with my .22LR first before moving up the ladder. I just thought I’d start to do some research/homework right now about everything, that’s all :)

Bigrich;
Thank you for your feedback, I will have a look at all those calibres :) Yeah I mean, the 6.5 Creedmoor, the lack of recoil there does sound great. I find it hard to choose between the .308 and between the 6.5 Creedmoor, they both have such great pros. They are both so good in their own kind of way, makes it hard to choose :)

Ziad;
Yes, I do plan on shooting my .22LR as much as I can :) I am talking to as many shooters as I can, I do try to ask for advice as much as possible :) And I’m not getting too confused, I understand all the information that’s been given to me on enough gun, I don’t mean to brag but it’s not hard to understand firearms. It’s all about knowledge I reckon. The more knowledge you have, the more you can then make an informed decision when it comes to purchasing the perfect firearm for you :) I plan to have a collection for a bit of everything as you know, 1x for long distance shooting, 1x for short distance shooting, 1x for hunting, 1x for clay target shooting, 1x for plinking etc I’m just trying to make sense of it all :) Knowledge is power! :)

Peter988;
I bought a Ruger Precision Rimfire Rifle as my first .22LR :)
No the police during the safety course, they did not touch on the subject of shooting targets on public land. The police officers who did the course were absolutely great and fantastic. They were really nice Lads but I guess there’s just so much info to cover, they wouldn’t have had the time to cover it all, which is fair enough :)

Faedy;
Ah cool man :)

SCJ429;
I 100% agree. My internet research is NOT detrimental to my quest for knowledge and experience. Honestly, it honestly all comes down to this. I adore firearms. So I wanna know everything there is to know about firearms before I start my little collection :) 1x for long distance shooting, 1x for short distance shooting, 1x for hunting, 1x for clay target shooting, 1x for plinking etc I wanna make the right decisions, I wanna do everything right, so I would rather gain as much knowledge as possible before making mistakes or mis steps or whatever :) For example; if it wasn’t for the Lads on here, if it wasn't for the Lads on enough gun, I would’ve bought a .308 instead of a .22LR as my 1st rifle, which would’ve been a huge mistake :) Knowledge is power :)

Poid;
Thank you for your feedback :) Yes, I agree. I would also rather buy 1x specific rifle that does a fantastic does for that 1x task instead of winging it and buying only 1x rifle that does everything in an "okay" fashion. I’d rather have a little collection with 1x firearm that suits everything purpose. It makes being a firearm owner so much more pleasant this way :) 1x rifle for every purpose :)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tank » 23 Dec 2019, 7:38 am

6.5 Creedmoor......vs .308.......how many threads does there have to be?

Met a young kid recently ‘sighting one on a mates home range....who was shooting a 6.5 Creed on a T3X Lite....it wore an NXS Milrad FFP in Christ knows how many power.....

‘Why Creedmore’ I asked. ‘Oh....it’s the best’ he said. ‘Mils....you understand that stuff eh?’ I asked. ‘Mostly.....American military stuff.....it’s the best’.
‘How’s it coming along?’
Wait for it......‘I can’t work out how many clicks I need to get it shooting where I want it’.
‘Did you want a hand?’
‘Nah....I’m right.....’
This kid went to his local gun shop asked about a fox rifle....did a bit of YouTubing and this is the combination he bought. His local dealer suggested a .223 with an everyday duplex midrange variable scope.....
There were 5 boxes of empty cases on the bench when he left....my mate said he wasn’t happy when he left....
Horses for courses.
There’s nothing new under the sun in cartridge design.
Don’t believe all the marketing bulls**t you read.
Listen to experienced heads.....it can save you a lot of time, heartache and money.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2019, 8:41 am

No matter how many stories you hear about some fool who couldn't shoot with his 6.5 CM, it has nothing to do with the case design. The case is every bit as good as a 260 or 6.5x47

For long range plinking the 6.5 has a ballistic advantage over the 308.

You should see how many tools think that their 338 Lapua is the best thing on the planet but cannot hit a barn door at 50 feet. The case itself is great.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Dec 2019, 9:43 am

inexperienced people falling for hype and marketing is common among new shooters . dunno how many times it's been suggested they get their technique together with a 22lr first . everyone wants to be cool and fit in , a tacticool rifle in 6.5 man bun or 308 is the best cause people say so . there's not a damn thing wrong with either caliber, but it's not in the best interest of a newby to jump straight on one of these . i recently came across a new shooter at my local range who was having trouble getting his new lithgow 308 to group at 100 . 3 1/2" groups and he wasn't happy . got chatting to him and he was a nice fella so i offered to help . i used a rest instead of the bipod he had fitted and shot a group just over 1" . he was speechless . i pointed out the cheapie bipod wasn't a good thing for accuracy and that he needed to practice on a lighter caliber . he thanked me and told me some of the hype that salesmen at the big C had told him , which seems to be a common story these days :roll:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by marksman » 23 Dec 2019, 10:16 am

l have seen what you describe many times Tank and agree with you
money cannot buy you precision or accuracy, and salesmen although sometimes ignorant are driven by the dollar

rifle shooters lMHO are fighting against themselves using milrad scopes at moa ranges and all the bling they will not take the time to understand

cartridges come and go, l was talking to an RO from the ssaa last week listening to him compare the 6.5CM to the 308 when l told him he had it wrong that the 260 was based off the 308 and that those should be compared but the 6.5CM looked like a blown out 22-250 case then l put the two cases up in front of him as well as showing the 260 case, he had never seen it like that before

really there are pro's and cons in both, there are also much better rounds than both of them

if it were my choice for a factory rifle l would go the 260 rem but if building a rifle it would be a mauser 98 and the 6.5x284 anyday
and if the small rifle primer in the lapua 6.5CM cases gives you anxiety just neck down 308 palma cases to 260 rem
easy peasy :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Tank » 23 Dec 2019, 10:47 am

:thumbsup: Marksman.
:thumbsup: Bigrich.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2019, 10:58 am

Marksman, would you consider a 6.5 SAUM? Or are you talking about putting a reamer up the standard Mauser barrel?
Last edited by SCJ429 on 23 Dec 2019, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Tank » 23 Dec 2019, 11:08 am

SCJ429 wrote:No matter how many stories you hear about some fool who couldn't shoot with his 6.5 CM, it has nothing to do with the case design. The case is every bit as good as a 260 or 6.5x47

For long range plinking the 6.5 has a ballistic advantage over the 308.

You should see how many tools think that their 338 Lapua is the best thing on the planet but cannot hit a barn door at 50 feet. The case itself is great.

Not knocking the cartridge or the guy trying to come to grips. Just saying getting some advice doing some solid research and using it will save you heart ache.
I shoot 6.5x55. Have done for 32 years. No one has to convince me about 6.5.
I have 308 and love it for different reasons....they’re in 2 totally different rifles. (308 T3 Lite, 2.5-8VX3i - 6.5x55 T3 Varmint, 6.5-20 LRP, MDT LSSXL + V4 Skeleton rear stock)

How many 338 Lapua owners do you know ‘that can’t hit a barn door at 50’....(?)’

That’s just hyperbole.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Dec 2019, 11:40 am

As much as your story about a CM shooter. I was sitting next to a guy at the range with a Barret in 338 Lapua, I shot a better group with my 416 Rigby than he managed. Not that it was the rifles fault or that my group was particularly impressive, it was 1.6 inches.

I also went to a one mile shoot and was using a 300/378 Weatherby and had this guy tell me how crap the Weatherby case design was with its belt compared with his 338 Lapua. I understand what he was saying and I intend to rebarrel in 300 Lapua when this barrel is toast. But then when it came time to shoot, this bloke never got on paper.

Just like CM shooter, I am sure that there are plenty of guys who know what they are doing but the 338 Lapua attracts attention from the wanna be crowd. Barn door at 50 feet, yes don't take it literally.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Dec 2019, 1:28 pm

Hey don't rubbish 338L.... I can hit the 500m gong..... as long as I shoot 100 rounds

Haha jk. I don't have 338
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Tank » 23 Dec 2019, 1:46 pm

There is a saying SJC.....
‘All the gear......and no idea.....’

To the original poster.
Get yourself a solid grounding with the 22. You’d be better advised to get a 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel and reasonable weight barrel and move into centre fire gradually. Remember the quality of the optic you run is every bit as important as the quality of the rifle. 223 is far more economical. Availability is equally good.
For the ranges you need to good at 223 is plenty of gun.
Don’t imagine you’re just gonna start ringing 8” gongs at a K 10 minutes after your 1st rifle purchase.....work your way up.
I’ve shot for 40 years.....I’m still learning.
So are most of us.
Good luck.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 23 Dec 2019, 2:40 pm

Tank wrote:There is a saying SJC.....
‘All the gear......and no idea.....’

To the original poster.
Get yourself a solid grounding with the 22. You’d be better advised to get a 223 with a 1:8 twist barrel and reasonable weight barrel and move into centre fire gradually. Remember the quality of the optic you run is every bit as important as the quality of the rifle. 223 is far more economical. Availability is equally good.
For the ranges you need to good at 223 is plenty of gun.
Don’t imagine you’re just gonna start ringing 8” gongs at a K 10 minutes after your 1st rifle purchase.....work your way up.
I’ve shot for 40 years.....I’m still learning.
So are most of us.
Good luck.

+1 best advice for any new shooter :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 23 Dec 2019, 2:59 pm

Tank;
Yes
I agree
This forum "Enough Gun" is extremely helpful
For my first rifle
I wanted to buy a .308
But everyone on here advised me to get a .22LR as my 1st rifle
And that's what I did
I bought a .22LR for my first rifle
And I plan to shoot heaps with it
Get better
And move my way up

I have learned so much on this forum
I honestly didn't know anything at all about guns 1x month ago
(In terms of brands, calibers, scopes, ammunition, etc)

This forum and the people here are so incredibly helpful
:-)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Dec 2019, 3:43 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Marksman, would you consider a 6.5 SAUM? Or are you talking about putting a reamer up the standard Mauser barrel?

l wouldn't consider the 6.5 saum because l am already setup for the 6.5x284 but l do like the idea of a fast low pressure cartridge, l have thought about the 6.5wsm after seeing a friend's shoot dots very very fast, l also wouldn't put a reamer up a standard mauser barrel, if you are going to do it get a match grade barrel or just buy a factory rifle

that 500m gong at little river is what a lot of shooters call a challenge Ziad
it was owned by the previous range manager, valued at around $2000, the caretaker manager and chief RO stole it from his stash while he was on forced holiday before he got stabbed in the back and put it up :lol: l used to shoot it off the shoulder with my 375H&H :lol:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2019, 1:50 pm

I have been interested in doing a SAUM or a WSM also. You are inspiring me to do something with my M98 there Marksman.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 24 Dec 2019, 2:13 pm

if you do want to do s SAUM do a 7mm. If nothing else just to see what it is like. It is the cartridge that the Australian F Open team will be taking to the world cup in South Africa.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Dec 2019, 2:58 pm

I have seen Peter's rifle in action which made me want a SAUM. I wonder if my wife would get it for me at Christmas.

http://500-m-fly-shooter.1062065.n5.nab ... 10653.html
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 24 Dec 2019, 8:31 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I have been interested in doing a SAUM or a WSM also. You are inspiring me to do something with my M98 there Marksman.

l'm inspiring myself as well SCJ429, l'm either looking at a howa 300wm or a barrel :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by K2bonsai » 29 Dec 2019, 4:51 pm

If you are simply after an answer as to which would be better for long range then I would say the 6.5. I have one from Howa and it is fantastic and an accurate shooter with a 2.5-15 scope.

Mine is in a sportier barrel as my main intent is hunting. When I take it to the range for sighting or practise late spring or early summer I generally can put 3-4 rounds through it but then the barrel needs to cool for 15 mins at least. I usually take my 22 WMR with me and blast 10-20 rounds that before switching back to the 6.5. So if purely a target long range shooter then I would go with the heavy varmint barrel.

Last spotlight cull I did on a property I used my 6.5 and with the cool evening I could put shot after shot out and the barrel cooled rapidly so hot days and being under the enclosed range benches without wind certainly brings a different consideration to barrel choice.
K2bonsai
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 29 Dec 2019, 5:29 pm

K2bonsai;
Yeah
I was leaning towards getting a 6.5 Creedmoor as it's better over long distance as you've also mentioned
(Past 500x metres)

However
I think I'm gonna go with a .308
For those reasons;
- The .308 ammunition is cheaper
- The .308 ammunition there's more choice available
- The .308 is a heavier load, so when you hit metallic gongs, it's easier to hear if you've hit the target, and it's a nice feeling when you hear that sound lol
- The .308 for hunting it's a more humane kill as well as it's a heavier shot
So for all those reasons
The .308 sounds great to me

The main reason as to why I wanted to get a 6.5 creedmoor as well was because I was planning on shooting at targets past 500x metres away as well
I wanted to shoot at 1000x metres away
But I think I've changed my mind
I think I'll stick with shooting targets at 500metres tops for now
I think 500metres away will be enough for me
That'll probably give me enough pleasure out of target shooting
In which case
From what I understand
Then the .308 & the 6.5 creedmoor perform extremely similarly

So I may as well stick with the .308 now then
(Since I plan only on shooting targets at 500x metres away only now)

I may get the 6.5 creedmoor later if I REALLY wanna get into shooting at targets at 1,000x metres away later down the track

We'll see how we go
:-)
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 29 Dec 2019, 8:11 pm

I hear you though K2bonsai

It is a very hard choice I find
Its very difficult to choose

The 6.5 creedmoor definitely is more accurate than the .308
The 6.5 creedmoor definetely shoots flatter and is less affected by wind than the .308
(Over all distances)
The lighter recoil in the 6.5 creedmoor does make it very appealing too

So hard to choose lol :drinks:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics