dont discount the 6.5 swede

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

dont discount the 6.5 swede

Post by marksman » 03 Jan 2020, 9:51 am

l have always been a big fan of the swede and 6.5 cal, these vids show what an old time cartridge in an old time rifle are capable of :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClG776ViSh4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw5D39pT0QQ
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: dont discount the 6.5 swede

Post by in2anity » 03 Jan 2020, 11:34 am

I concur. In the wise words of the old boys at my club, “so tell me, what’s the practical difference between the 6.5cm and 6.5s?” :lol:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 03 Jan 2020, 11:39 am

in2anity wrote:I concur. In the wise words of the old boys at my club, “tell me, so what’s the difference between the 6.5cm and 6.5s?” :lol:

What all the Tacticool kids want, a short action not a long, which is a damn shame.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 03 Jan 2020, 12:43 pm

Am88 wrote:What all the Tacticool kids want, a short action not a long, which is a damn shame.

Oh right of course, I forgot how incredibly inconvenient a long action is. Couldn't possibly use one in practice... :sarcasm:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 03 Jan 2020, 5:56 pm

6.5x55 is the cornerstone caliber of my hunting rifles , fit to be mentioned in the same breath as the legendary 222 ........... :D
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 03 Jan 2020, 6:58 pm

I wonder if there has ever been a scientific investigation into all of the most common rounds to see which ones are truly the most efficient. Popularity aside, manufacturers price for ammo and brass aside. For an example .308 ammo and brass is cheap, but is it really more efficient than another round?
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 03 Jan 2020, 7:12 pm

If there were definite exact accurate answers for these questions us lot would have nothing else to whinge and fight about
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Am88 » 03 Jan 2020, 7:26 pm

I can never see that happening. That's how people sell you stuff. Latest greatest never to be outdone.
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jan 2020, 8:14 pm

There are a couple of things about the Swede that are a pain, for me at least. The headstamp is slightly bigger than the 308, so I have to go hunting for the correct shell holder.

And reloading data is so conservative that it takes me ages to work out where the pressure limits are.

Other than that it is fast and lots of fun.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 03 Jan 2020, 8:44 pm

your right that "the reloading data is so conservative that it takes me ages to work out where the pressure limits are"
like a few other older case designs
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jan 2020, 7:53 am

They should publish data for modern actions separate to the current data like they do for the 45/70.; I am miles over the current data before I see any pressure.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jan 2020, 7:56 am

They should publish data for modern actions separate to the current data like they do for the 45/70.; I am miles over the current data before I see any pressure.

The current data says you can shoot a 140 grain bullet at 2600 fps and I am at 3000.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 04 Jan 2020, 8:02 am

SCJ429 wrote:They should publish data for modern actions separate to the current data like they do for the 45/70.; I am miles over the current data before I see any pressure.

The current data says you can shoot a 140 grain bullet at 2600 fps and I am at 3000.

3000 is really moving with a 140 for the swede . i get around 2830 fps out of a 22" barrelled CRF model 70 and re22 powder with good accuracy. what powder are you using SCJ ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 04 Jan 2020, 8:03 am

Blr243 wrote:If there were definite exact accurate answers for these questions us lot would have nothing else to whinge and fight about

that's what makes it all interesting :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2020, 9:43 am

Oh dear, looks like we are heading down Swede vs Creedmoor path AGAIN. Thank god for that as it has been a few weeks since I have been reminded how I must have a manbun, wear pink shirts, watch broke back mountain and be tacticool (whatever the fcuk that means). Looking forward to reading all of the posts from the haters. NOT.........
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 04 Jan 2020, 10:07 am

Jimtom I put 6.5 creedmoor in the same class as the 243 and 250 Savage ( small game getter/varmint), its certainly isnt in the 6.5X55 or 270 class :lol: :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 04 Jan 2020, 10:38 am

Pressure signs are really more to do with the Brass construction. Whether an action can actually stand up to the same pressure as the Brass is an important piece of information.
In this day and age we all know that any information made available has to be given to account for people that cant think for themselves and need protection from themselves. That is why the 6.5*55 loading information will be on the low side just as it is for many of the older cartridge designs. To be fair in some cases it may be that the cartridges used may also not be up to the task of modern pressure loading. Again a protection from ourselves a warning or caution should really be sufficient.

Does that extra 4mm of length and volume add value to the caliber is really the debate. In all the calibers and cartridges there comes a time when you just don't get the same increase in velocity for the same amount of added powder. So refining the debate it really should be over the point at which point is it no longer worth it adding powder. I bet you could have a 6.5 * 100 and the increase in velocity would have maxed out. Pressure limits are going to be the limiting factor I know but I still wonder if pressure was not a consideration what the velocity curve would be for an ever increasing amount of powder.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 04 Jan 2020, 11:39 am

JimTom wrote:Oh dear, looks like we are heading down Swede vs Creedmoor path AGAIN. Thank god for that as it has been a few weeks since I have been reminded how I must have a manbun, wear pink shirts, watch broke back mountain and be tacticool (whatever the fcuk that means). Looking forward to reading all of the posts from the haters. NOT.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: not at all, its not about bashing the 6.5 CM
l find the 6.5 swede can shoot very impressively for a very old round, no competition there, there are better IMHO, same as the 6.5 CM
l reckon you would agree that the vids show the swede is not as bad as some say :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2020, 11:41 am

Bill wrote:Jimtom I put 6.5 creedmoor in the same class as the 243 and 250 Savage ( small game getter/varmint), its certainly isnt in the 6.5X55 or 270 class :lol: :drinks:

Yep definitely not a .270, and granted, the Swede is capable of shooting heavier projectiles. Not withstanding the later, you will prob find there is not a lot of difference.
There are actually a few examples where the Creedmoor wins but to be honest it’s not a lot, and definitely not worth arguing about.
As for a small game cartridge, I do find that a little perplexing.
Anyway, I am starting to play into your hand by getting drawn into this worthless debate. You enjoy your Swede, as I would if I had one (maybe one day), and I shall enjoy my Creedmoor, and my ManBun, broke back mountain, pink shirts, and my soy decafe chai rice milk lattes.
:drinks: :crazy: :crazy:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Jan 2020, 12:10 pm

JimTom wrote:Oh dear, looks like we are heading down Swede vs Creedmoor path AGAIN. Thank god for that as it has been a few weeks since I have been reminded how I must have a manbun, wear pink shirts, watch broke back mountain and be tacticool (whatever the fcuk that means). Looking forward to reading all of the posts from the haters. NOT.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: not at all, its not about bashing the 6.5 CM
l find the 6.5 swede can shoot very impressively for a very old round, no competition there, there are better IMHO, same as the 6.5 CM
l reckon you would agree that the vids show the swede is not as bad as some say :thumbsup:

added this again as l think we were typing at the same time and you would not have seen it :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2020, 12:39 pm

Mate although I don’t have one, I really like the Swede. Was looking at one in a CZ however ended up with a creed instead.
Considering how long the 6.5x55 has been around, and given its popularity today, one could never argue against it.
I just don’t understand why forum members continually carry on about the Creedmoor. If people don’t like it, fair enough not probs there, I just don’t see the need to bash others that do have one and like it. Hell mine does what I got it for.
Mate I don’t think there is any such thing as a useless cartridge. Although I don’t see the sense in some, I am sure they have their uses for some, and as such, don’t see the point in carrying on because a certain cartridge doesn’t suit your own purposes.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Jan 2020, 1:03 pm

JimTom wrote:Mate although I don’t have one, I really like the Swede. Was looking at one in a CZ however ended up with a creed instead.
Considering how long the 6.5x55 has been around, and given its popularity today, one could never argue against it.
I just don’t understand why forum members continually carry on about the Creedmoor. If people don’t like it, fair enough not probs there, I just don’t see the need to bash others that do have one and like it. Hell mine does what I got it for.
Mate I don’t think there is any such thing as a useless cartridge. Although I don’t see the sense in some, I am sure they have their uses for some, and as such, don’t see the point in carrying on because a certain cartridge doesn’t suit your own purposes.

its a personal thing buying your rifle, its your choice not anyone else's :drinks:
l cop similar for owning a 6.5x284 :lol:
l love it that much l am saving for another barrel for a walk around rifle but everyone will say its a barrel burner :lol:
my retort will be it shoots :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2020, 1:16 pm

its a personal thing buying your rifle, its your choice not anyone else's :drinks:
l cop similar for owning a 6.5x284 :lol:
l love it that much l am saving for another barrel for a walk around rifle but everyone will say its a barrel burner :lol:
my retort will be it shoots :thumbsup: :drinks:[/quote]

Exactly mate. Classic example, I personally don’t need a 6.5x284 because I don’t shoot those long distances, but I sure as hell can appreciate it’s ability. I have watched a few clips on YouTube and mate it sure is impressive.
Some may be inclined to rubbish that cartridge as a barrel burner but I can appreciate it for what it is, and hell, I certainly wouldn’t turn one down if I had the opportunity to own one.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Jan 2020, 1:52 pm

Plenty of room for all sorts of 6.5s from the Grendel to the Weatherby. How boring would it be if we could only own a 223 or a 308. Viva la difference.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2020, 4:19 pm

Indeed.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Jan 2020, 4:43 pm

Indeed.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 05 Jan 2020, 7:43 am

Big advantage the 6.5cm currently has over older 6.5’s is the sheer popularity of it. Market economy drives consumer choice. And we should be spending more time focusing on guns rather than ammo - everyone seems to think like “cartridge X is what you need” rather than “specifically, rifle Y will suit your exact needs”
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Am88 » 05 Jan 2020, 12:22 pm

I feel like if I had a CM I'd have to drink my cups of a tea with a pinky in the air lol. Ah it's all good fun, I know my gun shop gentlemen pretty well and even they tell me, people that come in and all want the creedmore because they have heard from mates and seen on YouTube that it's the best and that's what they want no question.

One of my mates has a tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5 swede with the dirty plastic tuppaware stock. It shoots sellior and bellot factory rounds well. He was shooting at only 200m but could cover 5 shots with a 10 cent coin on an open range. Would make me happy anyways for a factory rifle
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Jan 2020, 3:54 pm

Am88 wrote:I feel like if I had a CM I'd have to drink my cups of a tea with a pinky in the air lol. Ah it's all good fun, I know my gun shop gentlemen pretty well and even they tell me, people that come in and all want the creedmore because they have heard from mates and seen on YouTube that it's the best and that's what they want no question.

One of my mates has a tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5 swede with the dirty plastic tuppaware stock. It shoots sellior and bellot factory rounds well. He was shooting at only 200m but could cover 5 shots with a 10 cent coin on an open range. Would make me happy anyways for a factory rifle

that's a winning combination , 6.5x55 in a tikka varmit . you'd be hard pressed to do better :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bill » 05 Jan 2020, 4:34 pm

I was going to agree with ya Bigrich but a Tikka T3x aint no M96 :drinks:
Last edited by Bill on 05 Jan 2020, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics