Factory cartridge won't fit.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Factory cartridge won't fit.

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Mar 2020, 1:19 pm

While having a few target shots prior to a nights shoot,, I got one round that fed from the magazine without any issues,
but once in the chamber (also apparently without issues) I found that the bolt would not close fully.

I removed said cartridge, put it to one side and continued with other rounds out of the same packet.

When finished I tried the problem round again, but the bolt refuses to close fully.

I look closely at the round, and everything appeared to be normal except the edge of the case where it is crimped seemed a little rough
when running the tip of my finger over it.
Today I got the verniers and measured all aspects of it and compared it to another round that has no problems.

All measurements were the same.
Especially on the necks ie: .2455 "
I measured the one that seemed to be a bit rough in five differing positions around its circumference,, but still got the same .2455 "

They are factory Winchester .223 JSP

I should just dispose of this round, and move on,,,,,,,,,
But I'm wondering if any of you guys have any idea what would be wrong with it ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Factory cartridge won't fit.

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Mar 2020, 5:15 pm

Dispose of it and move on, but to satisfy curiosity, did you measure rim thickness and extractor groove diameter? Sometimes if the extractor groove has not been cut deep enough the extractor will sit proud of the bolt body and not close the bolt. Very uncommon but I have had it happen. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 06 Mar 2020, 6:31 pm

Same thing if the primer is slightly proud
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 06 Mar 2020, 7:12 pm

Try and claim a refund.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Mar 2020, 8:40 pm

StraightWhiteMale wrote:Try and claim a refund.

:lol: :clap: :lol:
thats a good one SWM :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bill » 06 Mar 2020, 9:00 pm

was it a tikka :lol:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 07 Mar 2020, 10:16 am

check the thickness of the arse end, had a few myself like this, mostly in the 270, usually the ejector doesn't wanna bite it.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 07 Mar 2020, 12:07 pm

I haven’t heard a lot of positive feedback about Win brass lately. I know you’re talking about a factory load however I wonder if some of the perceived issues with their brass is flowing over to the factory ammo too. I have been told, and witnessed with my own eyes, some brass, mostly the larger calibre have been poorly formed, with quite obvious deficiencies, and in some cases, .270 cases mixed in with 30/06 brass.
In saying that, I reload Win brass for my .223, some batches have been loaded close to ten times and have never had an issue with dud cases.
May not be related to your issue, just through I’d mention it incase.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Mar 2020, 12:09 pm

Further to my above post, I am not saying that Win brass is no good etc. just passing on an observation.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by flutch » 07 Mar 2020, 2:27 pm

JimTom wrote:I haven’t heard a lot of positive feedback about Win brass lately. I know you’re talking about a factory load however I wonder if some of the perceived issues with their brass is flowing over to the factory ammo too. I have been told, and witnessed with my own eyes, some brass, mostly the larger calibre have been poorly formed, with quite obvious deficiencies, and in some cases, .270 cases mixed in with 30/06 brass.
In saying that, I reload Win brass for my .223, some batches have been loaded close to ten times and have never had an issue with dud cases.
May not be related to your issue, just through I’d mention it incase.

yeah winchester brass is terrible s**t, it literally snaps the ejector on my 270
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Mar 2020, 10:54 pm

Thanks fellas for all your input.

I apologize for the late reply/response.
I have bit of a dilemma/problem at the moment. :problem: :wtf:
I have just recently had yet another two properties added to those that I already shoot,, and at the moment it is a bit of a juggling act to
be able to do each one justice as far as time spent is concerned.

As for the rogue round,,, I also measured everything else I could think of,,,,,,,
> base/rim thickness (although not real easy to measure) it appears to be the same as other rounds.
> depth of the groove pretty much matches all others.
> overall length, no obvious discrepancies

Although the major shoulder diameter measures consistently with other rounds,,, I have noticed a "tiny" indent approx 1.8mm below the shoulder.
I'm guessing that may have been caused by pressing another shell up against it in the process of loading the magazine.
This would be producing a "negative" in the OD rather than a "positive" increase in the OD,,,, so I'm discounting that as a cause.

I think I'll not lose any sleep over it,, and move on. (and NO,,, I'm not gonna ask for a refund) :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics