303/22 sprinter

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

303/22 sprinter

Post by John » 17 Apr 2020, 1:44 pm

Hi there just wondering if any one out has had anything to do with 303/22 sprinter there’s tow types of 303/22s the falcon which is a full length 303 case necked down to .22
And there’s the sprinter version which is trimmed down to a shorter case than necked down to .22
They don’t seem to be common at all I’ve never seen another one
At one time they did make factory loads for them I’ve got a few really old boxes of empty brass

They are very out of date now I’ve never used it was left to me years ago along with dies for sizing and loading
Has anyone got i idea of trim length be for sizing I haven’t been able to find any info on that side of it ADI does show a few loads for 2205/06 while board I was thinking of loading some just to put a few down it see how it goes.
The rifle was originally made by a gunsmith in the lower hunter who passed many years ago don Mac Cara was his name not 100% on the spelling and after that he developed his on version based on a .243 case necked down trimmed an formed to .22 he called 220 string ray which only 4 I believe was made not a 100% just the story behind it I was told
Out of curiosity I’d thought I’d ask if anyone know anything about the sprinter cases other than very old out of date kind of a thing.
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: 303/22 sprinter

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2020, 1:55 pm

you have probably seen this info John but just in case you haven't
https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t ... dges/29473
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 17 Apr 2020, 2:27 pm

I had one 25 years ago. The chamber did not match the dies , split necks, can’t find brass , projectiles hit paper sideways , it was a mess I can’t remember if I gave it away or sold it for 50 bucks or just surrendered it. If war broke out and I needed a weapon to save my life I would be better of grabbing a butter knife from the kitchen
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by John » 17 Apr 2020, 4:21 pm

Thanks you guys I the bloke who made the rifle made the dies there’s 4 sizing dies to come down the .22 and a reamer to open the case up due to sizing it so much the wall thickness increases.
Being I have never seen one and are long gone with no one using them lead me to believe they might not of been that good
Like I was saying it was willed to me as a keep sake sort of thing along with a few others.
The old timer who owned it use to tell me how good it was and used it skin shooting foxes might of been one them never let the truth get in the way of a good story type of things lol
I’ve had it over 20 years never put a shot through it
It only came to mind earlier this morning when having a clean up in my loading room and came across the box of dies. And thought I should give it a go just for something to do.
It has a pecar steel tube post scope fitted to that’s or ways been on it I’m really surprised how clear it is for it’s age.
I’m planning on trying to make a few rounds out of curiosity and to fill in some time will see how it goes I’m not holding my breath I don’t think it’s going to be my new fox gun but you never know I guess some time things like this surprise me
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 17 Apr 2020, 5:24 pm

l'd like to hear more about it as you go with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by John » 17 Apr 2020, 6:46 pm

No problem marksman Getting there made a few calls to some the old fella who owned the rifle this afternoon his getting on a bit doesn’t get out for a shot often now day but does remember the process of sizing the cases down. He all so did say it was very accurate but very finicky to work up a load that works. He wasn’t able to remember loads off the top of his head but was going to have a look through some old note books of loads they worked up.
Hopefully he can find some old notes will be a great head start.
It’s got me curious and keen to have a play see what it can do It’s in great condition for it’s age been well looked after just needs a clean and a eye over after I get the cases and loads worked out
I will see if I can post some photos or the process and the results if I can work my camera out and get the photos across
I might be setting my self up for disappointment but it’s interesting and some thing enjoy doing at times like this with plenty of spare time and no one to bother me.
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by John » 17 Apr 2020, 6:48 pm

Sorry there’s a few typos I’m hopeless typed I made calls to the old fella brother that’s still around not the owner him self cause his no longer with us
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 21 Sep 2020, 6:46 pm

How is it going John? I am very interested as I have a 303-25 Imp that I am trying to get going.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 6878mm » 25 Mar 2024, 3:43 pm

did you ever get any more info about this??
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics