Need help identifying and ADI round

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Need help identifying and ADI round

Post by goldiexxxx » 10 May 2020, 8:03 pm

Don't you just love it when one of your mates asks you for help with an inaccurate rifle, but then he cant tell you anything about the specs of the rifle or the ammo he has purchased.
So he purchased a 223 Howa stainless, looks like a medium weight barrel, and the gun shop sold him some ADI head stamped ammo in the blister packs. This is a brand new rifle and it wont group anything, not the 55gr blister pack ammo, nor any of my handloads. Shoots about 4-5" groups at 100m. The gun shop setup his BYO scope for him too.
I think the rifle might have a 1:9" twist barrel from a bit of research I did online, but I cant seem to identify the ammo.
ADI make both OSA (sierra Gameking or Blitzking) and Australian Outback (Sierra Blitzking). But I think the OSA ammo has the OSA headstamp, and this is definitely not a polymer tip Blitzking. Sierra don't have a Gameking with a cannelure on their website, and my own Super Roos (Gamekings) don't have the cannelure either.

Please help identify this ammo:
ADI head stamp
55.3gr boattail SP projectile with a cannelure
24.4gr of what looks like AR2206H powder

Much appreciated all.
Goldie
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Need help identifying and ADI round

Post by RoginaJack » 10 May 2020, 8:19 pm

Stick up a few photos if you could. Might be easier to help I.D. the stuff, Thanks.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by scoot » 10 May 2020, 8:30 pm

OSA did do (may still) a 55g soft point using hornady projectiles too.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 10 May 2020, 8:32 pm

4-5" groups sounds like there is something very out with the scope, rings, stock, etc.... Maybe even headspacing or something, a new barrel shouldn't be that rooted.

My howa shoots moa with most ammo, and sub moa with hornady and ppu (thank god cos cheapest haha)

I'd be looking into variables on the gun not the ammo at this stage
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by scoot » 10 May 2020, 8:40 pm

Hornady sp varmint bullet shows a cannelure on their website and the spiel is a cut and paste onto OSA site for their write up of the cartridge. I'd pull one apart for you but when I just checked , none left, (I only had one box I tried).
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 10 May 2020, 8:45 pm

No rifle or ammo could be that bad. Scope problem. Those groups are like an sks with iron sights
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by goldiexxxx » 10 May 2020, 8:48 pm

scoot wrote:Hornady sp varmint bullet shows a cannelure on their website and the spiel is a cut and paste onto OSA site for their write up of the cartridge. I'd pull one apart for you but when I just checked , none left, (I only had one box I tried).

This is exactly what I was thinking. What about the fact the head stamp is ADI, not OSA. Did OSA ammo start out with ADI stamped brass some years ago?
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by goldiexxxx » 10 May 2020, 9:14 pm

Blr243 wrote:No rifle or ammo could be that bad. Scope problem. Those groups are like an sks with iron sights

I’m starting to agree but the scope was working fine on his 308 before he removed it and we have checked all the scope fittings. I gave him a spare scope of mine so he can at least see if it is indeed a scope issue. He will test it again tomorrow.

Thanks for helping ID the ammo. The searches I did only revealed two 223 versions from OSA, both Sierra. I suspected this was a Hornady, it looked a lot like some 50gr SP I use.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by trekin » 11 May 2020, 4:37 am

Take it back and exchange it for another one;
https://www.howausa.com/sub-moa
No PTA required for a like for like exchange here in QLD.
Simples.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 11 May 2020, 10:30 am

trekin wrote:Take it back and exchange it for another one;
https://www.howausa.com/sub-moa
No PTA required for a like for like exchange here in QLD.
Simples.

this is the answer :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Larry » 11 May 2020, 10:37 am

I have both the Blitzkings and the gamekings one has an ADI head stamp and the other an OSA. I have bought them at other times and have had different head stamp I think they are interchangeable.

Was the Gun new or SH if SH you might have found the reason it was sold. It may just need a clean or someone may have stuffed the barrel by improper use ie a partial obstruction firing with a lot of old oil in it ect.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by goldiexxxx » 11 May 2020, 12:36 pm

Blr243 wrote:No rifle or ammo could be that bad. Scope problem. Those groups are like an sks with iron sights

Turns out it was a scope problem. I loaned him an old 6X Nikko Stirling Silver Crown I had laying around and he shot decent groups with it today just leaning on the tray of the ute. Used the 55gr OSA factory ammo too.

Now he can work out what the bloody scope issues are or buy a new one.
Thanks everyone for your help.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 11 May 2020, 6:41 pm

That must be the first time ever that adding a Nikko Sterling has solved a problem.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 11 May 2020, 6:52 pm

SCJ429 my Nikko Stirling that came on my first M96 proved a reliable scope for may years, infact I think I had it on 15 years before upgrading to a japanese made Tasco :D
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 11 May 2020, 6:59 pm

showing your age mate :P i remember those

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 May 2020, 9:26 pm

Yes big rich. They were stupid rifles but we bought them anyway .......I shot my first Himalayan thar with a gold crown Nikko and oodles of pigs too
and when I flew over the handlebars of my motorbike the Nikko smacked me in the back of my skull and still shot true ......good to hear the accuracy problem is solved
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 12 May 2020, 7:38 am

And the moral of the story is.....
The answer is so simple when you work out what the real problem is.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 12 May 2020, 1:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:That must be the first time ever that adding a Nikko Sterling has solved a problem.

Haha funny
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics