Ballistics calculator

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Ballistics calculator

Post by Harrynsw » 07 Jun 2020, 10:26 pm

Hi Folks
Can anyone direct me to a ballistics calculator that incorporates barrel length (If there is one)
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Ballistics calculator

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jun 2020, 10:37 pm

Harrynsw wrote:Hi Folks
Can anyone direct me to a ballistics calculator that incorporates barrel length (If there is one)

I doubt any will, barrel length has zero effect on the bullet ballistically.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 07 Jun 2020, 10:50 pm

StrelokPro + chrono your loads.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 07 Jun 2020, 11:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I know a bit less than two tenths of Jack all, but dosnt a longer barrel give you a higher muzzle velocity?
As you can see on the link below, they've supplied the data for a 10.5 inch barrel right up to a 24 inch barrel.
https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammunit ... p-urban#!/
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 07 Jun 2020, 11:12 pm

in2anity wrote:StrelokPro + chrono your loads.

Thanks bud
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jun 2020, 11:41 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I know a bit less than two tenths of Jack all, but dosnt a longer barrel give you a higher muzzle velocity?
As you can see on the link below, they've supplied the data for a 10.5 inch barrel right up to a 24 inch barrel.
https://www.hornadyle.com/rifle-ammunit ... p-urban#!/

Yes, barrel length affects muzzle velocity, but you input your velocity into the calculator, regardless of your barrel length.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jun 2020, 3:15 am

It's my understanding that you can only estimate velocity from a reloading manual or use a chrony.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 08 Jun 2020, 7:18 am

I think you might be better off asking your real underlying question rather than what appears to be part of a thought experiment.
There is nothing new under the sun and out of the clutter of answers you are likely get you might be able to glean the appropriate understanding you are seeking.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 08 Jun 2020, 7:58 am

straightshooter wrote:

I think you might be better off asking your real underlying question rather than what appears to be part of a thought experiment.
There is nothing new under the sun and out of the clutter of answers you are likely get you might be able to glean the appropriate understanding you are seeking.

I'm trying to determine the muzzle velocity of the S&B 30/30 150 grain projectile. The muzzle velocity supplied on the website is out of a 24 inch barrel, I have a 20 inch barrel.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jun 2020, 8:13 am

Harrynsw wrote:
straightshooter wrote:

I'm trying to determine the muzzle velocity of the S&B 30/30 150 grain projectile. The muzzle velocity supplied on the website is out of a 24 inch barrel, I have a 20 inch barrel.

You can only estimate it as you haven't actually measured the velocity. If you measure the velocity of your 24" barrel, then cut it to 20", you can very accurately calculate the velocity lost. If you are starting with a guess though, your calculation will also be a guess.

Ballistic calculators require an accurate velocity input to be able to give accurate output.
If you chrono the same load in somebody else's rifle the same as yours, it would be pretty close to your own velocity.
You can buy a chronograph for about $250 if you want accurate velocity measurement.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rwd22 » 08 Jun 2020, 8:34 am

You can get around the need of a chronograph (For this particular question your asking), I would suggest getting one in the long run, nothing beats knowing your actual numbers. Strelok Pro allows to you validate your trajectory, I imagine there is a similar feature in most paid for ballistic apps.

As I understand it, zero the rifle at your normal distance, input your furthest range distance to the app (300/500/1000?) at your boxed ammo velocity, make the turret adjustments, shoot said extended distance, measure target impact offset from point of aim and input that into the app. It will calculate an approximate muzzle velocity for you.

I hope that makes sense, as said this is a particular get around for the question you're asking. But the real answer is, buy a chrono or borrow one.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 9:02 am

Isnt there a program some people use that can estimate velocity but requires lots of input data like case volume etc...?
Or is this a program that helps with knowing start & max load densities... :unknown:

But to repeat everyone else, you'll only "know" by using a chrono...

Even the above example would be reliant on the actual known click value of the scope--meaning if for every 1moa you dial, if the scope dials 1.2 moa, you'll get a very wrong answer...but it still relies on an initial velocity approximation anyway...(but i like the idea... :thumbsup: ).
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rwd22 » 08 Jun 2020, 9:55 am

Stix wrote:Isnt there a program some people use that can estimate velocity but requires lots of input data like case volume etc...?
Or is this a program that helps with knowing start & max load densities... :unknown:

But to repeat everyone else, you'll only "know" by using a chrono...

Even the above example would be reliant on the actual known click value of the scope--meaning if for every 1moa you dial, if the scope dials 1.2 moa, you'll get a very wrong answer...but it still relies on an initial velocity approximation anyway...(but i like the idea... :thumbsup: ).

Very true mate, didn't even run the click value through my head :lol: On the otherside of the equation, by performing the same method, you're actually truing the ballistic software to what your rifle/scope combo does. The Velocity number it spits out may be widely inaccurate, but atleast you'll true some of the input parameters :crazy: :lol:
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 08 Jun 2020, 10:24 am

Thanks gents, grateful for the wealth of knowledge.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jun 2020, 3:02 pm

Harrynsw wrote:I'm trying to determine the muzzle velocity of the S&B 30/30 150 grain projectile. The muzzle velocity supplied on the website is out of a 24 inch barrel, I have a 20 inch barrel.

My Win94 has a 20" barrel, I'll go into town tomorrow and grab a box of S&B 150gn and chrono it in mine.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 08 Jun 2020, 3:45 pm

Stix wrote:Isnt there a program some people use that can estimate velocity but requires lots of input data like case volume etc...?

But to repeat everyone else, you'll only "know" by using a chrono....

quickload gives you a guestimate but it has to be verified by chrony to adjust powder burn rate, BA ect... before you get factual data

your answer above is the answer Stix :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 08 Jun 2020, 4:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:I'm trying to determine the muzzle velocity of the S&B 30/30 150 grain projectile. The muzzle velocity supplied on the website is out of a 24 inch barrel, I have a 20 inch barrel.

My Win94 has a 20" barrel, I'll go into town tomorrow and grab a box of S&B 150gn and chrono it in mine.

Bladeracer, all good mate, you don't have to. You're a gentleman. Thank you.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jun 2020, 4:41 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

It's a handy excuse to do some shooting with the '94, and I like shooting :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 4:58 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

So do I...!!
Should i chuck some guns n ammo in the car & start driving...?
:lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 08 Jun 2020, 5:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

:D I can't argue with that.

Happy shooting.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2020, 4:26 pm

Okay, was in the shop this morning and grabbed a box of ammo.
Inside the box lid is stamped "98/3" - surely this stuff was not made 22 years ago?

Velocity is specified at 728mps or 2388fps.
Five rounds gave me a mean of 2274fps, ES of 69fps, SD of 24fps.
I fired a five-round group of subsonic 150gn Berry's first at 1050fps, grouped at 55mm on zero.
I held low for the S&B and grouped 38mm, just holding "somewhere on the bottom of the board in the grass", very nice. Group is about 400mm higher than my subsonics at 50m, but directly above - nice to know. The S&B is zeroed at around 500m for me :-)
20200609_154207b.jpg
20200609_154207b.jpg (947.49 KiB) Viewed 6739 times

Then, for giggles, I fired one at a 410UB at 50m. 8mm steel web and it punched an impressive hole through it.
20200609_154533b.jpg
20200609_154533b.jpg (851.04 KiB) Viewed 6739 times

20200609_154609b.jpg
20200609_154609b.jpg (610.06 KiB) Viewed 6739 times

Seems like good ammo.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 09 Jun 2020, 4:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:Okay, was in the shop this morning and grabbed a box of ammo.
Inside the box lid is stamped "98/3" - surely this stuff was not made 22 years ago?

Velocity is specified at 728mps or 2388fps.
Five rounds gave me a mean of 2274fps, ES of 69fps, SD of 24fps.
I fired a five-round group of subsonic 150gn Berry's first at 1050fps, grouped at 55mm on zero.
I held low for the S&B and grouped 38mm, just holding "somewhere on the bottom of the board in the grass", very nice. Group is about 400mm higher than my subsonics at 50m, but directly above - nice to know. The S&B is zeroed at around 500m for me :-)
20200609_154207b.jpg

Then, for giggles, I fired one at a 410UB at 50m. 8mm steel web and it punched an impressive hole through it.
20200609_154533b.jpg

20200609_154609b.jpg

Seems like good ammo.

:shock: wow!
Such a comprehensive analysis, bloody awesome!

22 years ago? What's going on there?

I feel good about this round now.

Looks like you had fun doing it, but I'll say thanks anyway...Thanks bladeracer.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2020, 4:54 pm

Harrynsw wrote: :shock: wow!

Looks like you had fun doing it, but I'll say thanks anyway...Thanks bladeracer.

I would guess that you want to know the velocity for the same reasons anybody else would, including myself :-)
Have a look in the lid of your own boxes, I'm curious what else the stamp could refer to.
Attachments
20200609_164922b.jpg
20200609_164922b.jpg (654.06 KiB) Viewed 6734 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 09 Jun 2020, 5:09 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I would guess that you want to know the velocity for the same reasons anybody else would, including myself :-)
Have a look in the lid of your own boxes, I'm curious what else the stamp could refer to.

Wasn't expecting this...
Attachments
20200609_170633.jpg
20200609_170633.jpg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 6733 times
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jun 2020, 5:12 pm

Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Wasn't expecting this...

Wow! That's pretty crazy :-)
I guess they did a massive run of .30-30 ammo back then.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 09 Jun 2020, 5:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Wasn't expecting this...

Wow! That's pretty crazy :-)
I guess they did a massive run of .30-30 ammo back then.

Must be making a decent profit if they bought it at 1980's prices.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics