Ammo for sports clay beginner

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Ammo for sports clay beginner

Post by mrmef » 08 Jun 2020, 12:33 pm

Hi, just picked up a new 12 gauge akkar churchill 30" sporter.

Can you recommend me ammo for a beginner who just wants to practice sporting clays?

I will be shooting maybe two or three times a month.

Is 12 GAUGE, 7.5, 28 GRAM suitable for what I will be doing?

I'm a total beginner when it comes to firearms so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to recommend brands or even post a link of the ammo you recommend.

Thanks!
mrmef
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Ammo for sports clay beginner

Post by Weepy » 08 Jun 2020, 12:39 pm

If you're anything like me when I started, ammo type won't matter.

You'll be spraying all over the place regardless :lol:

Seriously, though. Not my area of expertise. Will leave serious answers to others.
Weatherby Mark V Accumark 7mm Rem. Mag.
Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40mm

Browning BL-22 .22LR
Weepy
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by mrmef » 08 Jun 2020, 12:49 pm

Weepy wrote:If you're anything like me when I started, ammo type won't matter.

You'll be spraying all over the place regardless :lol:

Seriously, though. Not my area of expertise. Will leave serious answers to others.

haha yeah I know what you mean

I just want to make sure I'm using the appropriate ammo for what I will be doing and not paying way more than I need to for just starting out and practicing.

I see some ammo is $100 for 250pcs and others are $200+ for 250pcs

Would this ammo be ok? https://shootersdelight.com.au/product/winchester-super-target-12ga-1290fps-7-5-2-3-4-inch-28gm-shotshell-250-pack/
mrmef
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Jun 2020, 7:21 pm

That will work.
You can also get lower recoiling 7.5’s (24gn 1180fps) For starting out.
I’ll add, usually, Your local club will have a line on ammunition (ask around) and it will be cheaper than 99 % of shops.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 08 Jun 2020, 7:49 pm

Shame your not closer...ive got a good few of shells that are spot on for beginners to blow off id let go cheap...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ziege » 08 Jun 2020, 11:53 pm

Cheapest you can find. Easy as that
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 09 Jun 2020, 12:07 am

I never pay more than $85 for 250 7.5 shot. Given my hunting rounds #2s cost me around $120 a slab...
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by solarpak » 09 Jun 2020, 7:45 pm

For sporting clays size 8 shot - and 1 oz loads through a half choke will break targets a very long way out indeed .

The difference in pellets between a 7/12 and 8 in the 1 ounce (28 gram load) is around 50 pellets (from memory) . A budget 1 oz load with 8's doing 1250 fps will do all you need to - the only thing you need to do is shoot where the clay is going not where its been.

For chokes - screw the Improved cylinder (1/4 ) choke in the bottom and the Modified (1/2 ) choke in the top barrel.

Get out there and enjoy.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Harrynsw » 10 Jun 2020, 8:19 am

I have the same shotty, good value.
7.5 is what I use for clays, I will usually buy a slab (10 boxes) if it works out cheaper than buying it at the clay target club, but lately no, $120 for a slab at the lgs just yesterday.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 10 Jun 2020, 3:32 pm

Stix wrote:Shame your not closer...ive got a good few of shells that are spot on for beginners to blow off id let go cheap...

Be careful with that, in some states (maybe all) selling ammunition is covered by explosives regs so only suitably licensed dealers can sell ammunition to people that are licensed to possess it.

Certainly in QLD, ordinary licensed shooters can buy (and subsequently possess) ammunition from dealers but can't sell or even give away that ammunition to anyone else.
They can store it for use as long as they remain licensed or surrender it to a dealer or police and receive nothing for it if they can't or don't want to keep it.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Jun 2020, 4:59 pm

rc42 wrote:
Stix wrote:Shame your not closer...ive got a good few of shells that are spot on for beginners to blow off id let go cheap...

Be careful with that, in some states (maybe all) selling ammunition is covered by explosives regs so only suitably licensed dealers can sell ammunition to people that are licensed to possess it.

Certainly in QLD, ordinary licensed shooters can buy (and subsequently possess) ammunition from dealers but can't sell or even give away that ammunition to anyone else.
They can store it for use as long as they remain licensed or surrender it to a dealer or police and receive nothing for it if they can't or don't want to keep it.

Ah yes good point... :thumbsup: ...cheers

Makes you wonder how long until one gets locked up for sharing your apricots with the old lady down the street eh...
Someone can loose the plot & drive their car into a building full of people & not be responsible due to mental health issues, but if a LAFO is caught buying a slab of ammo for his mate on a joint duck hunting trip, you have to answer to the Kim Jong ugn dictatorship... :roll:

To be honest though, the reality of exchanging them for a less than worth cash donation is unlikely in any case given the cost of the components...I imagine ill pull em all apart one day & reload them for my own use.

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mrmef » 10 Jun 2020, 11:20 pm

Thanks for the great info everyone!

solarpak wrote:For sporting clays size 8 shot - and 1 oz loads through a half choke will break targets a very long way out indeed .

The difference in pellets between a 7/12 and 8 in the 1 ounce (28 gram load) is around 50 pellets (from memory) . A budget 1 oz load with 8's doing 1250 fps will do all you need to - the only thing you need to do is shoot where the clay is going not where its been.

For chokes - screw the Improved cylinder (1/4 ) choke in the bottom and the Modified (1/2 ) choke in the top barrel.

Get out there and enjoy.

C.

Yes, I was just thinking about which chokes I should be using. Thanks heaps!
mrmef
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jarhead » 23 Jun 2020, 12:35 pm

MrMef,

I use a mix of 7.5 and 9's for sporting. 9's with an open (aka cylinder or skeet) choke for the close in shots and 7.5's and up to full choke depending on the distance to the target.

But you will not go wrong using 28 gram 8's for everything and just swapping out chokes.

Keep an eye on the guy that shoot before you and measure the target distance. Then install an open choke for short shots and tighter choke for long shots.

Or if you don't want to change chokes out on the fly- IC in the bottom barrel and Modified in the top barrel is a good middle ground starting point.

Sporting and 5 stand are very technical which is great- (which choke, which shot weight and which barrel do I fire first?)- unlike skeet which is repetitive muscle memory as the target path is fixed.

Regards....
Regards,

Jarhead
Tikka T3 6.5 CM (2660 fps)

The Mustang looks the fastest but it's not.
Jarhead
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics