Whaddya make of this ?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Whaddya make of this ?

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jul 2020, 6:24 pm

Seriously,, what are you guys thoughts on this.
I was just checking the zero (via the thermal Scope) at precisely 75 meters.

Rifle = Howa 1500
Caliber = 22/250
Ammo = Highland
Projectile = 55gr soft point

The tin was filled with water and frozen so as to stand out in the scope.

As you can see the projectile hit dead center,,,,,,,, BUT,,,,, it exploded on contact and peeled the tins surface outwards, and made it look like an "exit" hole.
Not only that, but the ice content remained intact with no cracks,, and definitely no hole or crater in the ice.
You can see that the inside back surface of the can is absolutely undamaged.

Surely at only 75 meters it should have at least punched a hole in or through the ice ??

In the past I have dropped big pigs with this same brand/weight/caliber cartridge. Now I'm wondering how.

Any-one got any plausible explanation,,,,,,, I mean really, an air rifle pellet would have probably done more damage.

100_5749.JPG
100_5749.JPG (842.4 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
100_5751.JPG
100_5751.JPG (928.76 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
100_5750.JPG
100_5750.JPG (935.02 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Whaddya make of this ?

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2020, 6:37 pm

When I freeze bottles For 2 days for camping trips I know my ice lasts a lot longer and it becomes super hard and dense and will not fracture if dropped. Your incident I khink shows that we are not experienced and knowledgeable of things that we are unfamiliar with. ( because we shoot pigs, not ice ) it’s a surprising result for sure. It looks like the energy has bounced back and has been delivered to the tin skin .....too late now but I would like to see the ice
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2020, 6:39 pm

Can u please do it again ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RUGGA » 19 Jul 2020, 6:54 pm

Hmmmm. Any chance it wasn't dead centre and you snicked the side of the can?. The ice woulda put metal under a fair bit of tension and maybe tore away disguising bullet hole.

Just thinking that way coz I froze some water in paper cups a few weeks back. Left em half full expecting ice would expand into the empty space......nope, stretched bottom of the cup 15mm straight down. Rose up off the shelf.
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Strikey » 19 Jul 2020, 7:21 pm

I reckon what you have there is a fine example of what happens when a soft nose thin jacketed varmint projectile at high velocity hits something that is unforgiving, the projectile has blown up with zero penetration :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jul 2020, 7:38 pm

BLR,,,,,,,,, I can try,,, shouldn't be too hard. (excuse the play on words)

I was also wondering if it may have been an "off" cartridge.
If I repeat the experiment and get same result at least I can cross that off the list.

Rugga,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, The can had no top at all, so as it froze and expanded upwards there would have been no pressure from within.
And the projectile was almost millimetre perfect to the center of the can.

I have shot cans before that were full of just water. They literally get torn apart from the impact and hydraulic pressure from within,,,,,,, but
you can fold it back together and see the bullet hole and its placement.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jul 2020, 7:40 pm

Strikey wrote:I reckon what you have there is a fine example of what happens when a soft nose thin jacketed varmint projectile at high velocity hits something that is unforgiving, the projectile has blown up with zero penetration :thumbsup:

Yeah Mate,,,,,,,,, I tend to agree with you on that.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by RUGGA » 19 Jul 2020, 7:50 pm

I shoulda explained my example better. If the vessel has no top, sometimes the top of the water freezes first and locks in tight like a lid and the vessel does actually become pressurised as the water slowly freezes below.

But given you were dead centre would rule my theory out
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by TassieTiger » 19 Jul 2020, 9:03 pm

Ice is freakin hard - there are some videos on YouTube of ppl shooting iced over lakes - to catch a bullet that is spinning ie -
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=foZlciP6gUQ

I reckon you’ve got a hydraulic lock in reverse...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2020, 9:30 pm

That was a freaky interesting vid. But he was waving that gun around a bit too much for me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Jul 2020, 9:51 pm

Let’s see a tin of ice hit with the 375 HH , for comparison , but only if uhave space in the freezer
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Jul 2020, 10:29 pm

Blr243 wrote:Let’s see a tin of ice hit with the 375 HH , for comparison , but only if uhave space in the freezer

Methinks that would not be as spectacular as your thinking.

You'd have a lot of knock down energy but lacking severely in pure velocity to produce that "explosive" impact.
The biggest downside is,,, I don't have video or hi speed camera gear.

We could combine resources to be able to get something worth watching up on the forum next time your passing through maybe ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Jul 2020, 7:19 am

This actually does not surprise me that much hey. Ice is bloody hard.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 20 Jul 2020, 9:16 am

Physics......

I reckon the bullet hit the can, penetrated the metal and hit the ice. At this point some of the energy is lost as the heavy frozen can is moved off it's stand. The bullet contacts the solid block of ice inside the can generating enough heat to vaporize some of the water which expands by a factor of 1000 blowing the weakened can and broken jacket/bullet fragments outwards :unknown:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 20 Jul 2020, 9:54 am

Strikey wrote:I reckon what you have there is a fine example of what happens when a soft nose thin jacketed varmint projectile at high velocity hits something that is unforgiving, the projectile has blown up with zero penetration :thumbsup:

I think the above is true. Just like if you are shooting hardox plate the bullet fragments into a vertical plane the shattering fragments have torn the can apart..
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by cracker » 20 Jul 2020, 2:05 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Blr243 wrote:Let’s see a tin of ice hit with the 375 HH , for comparison , but only if uhave space in the freezer

Methinks that would not be as spectacular as your thinking.

You'd have a lot of knock down energy but lacking severely in pure velocity to produce that "explosive" impact.
The biggest downside is,,, I don't have video or hi speed camera gear.

We could combine resources to be able to get something worth watching up on the forum next time your passing through maybe ?

i shot a can of solo with my .375h&h at like 30-40m, its exploded into mist, the top of the can went about 3-4m in the air, iv got it on video somewhere
would have been a 270grain or 300grain bullet doing like 2600fps, plenty of energy.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jul 2020, 2:59 pm

I think all cans of solo should be shot with a 375 ...unhealthy sugar poison for the body
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Jul 2020, 5:04 pm

I go along with your theory, Chronos. Possible that a layer on non frozen water between the inside of can a ice block, absorbs energy etc...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jul 2020, 6:19 pm

DJ. I can research a high speed camera for our experiment but I don’t want to be too close to that big block of ice when a 250 grainer from the 375 Comes hooting along
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jul 2020, 8:10 pm

Blr243 wrote:DJ. I can research a high speed camera for our experiment but I don’t want to be too close to that big block of ice when a 250 grainer from the 375 Comes hooting along

Why on earth not ???????

Where is your sense of adventure my man ??????
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 22 Jul 2020, 8:05 am

Why we cannot enjoy tannerite like our USA brethren is beyond me...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DjlOEhUr4Ys

Watch the door and try and think if your reactions would have saved you ?
Last edited by TassieTiger on 22 Jul 2020, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Larry » 22 Jul 2020, 8:17 am

I have not researched how it is made. is it possible to DIY I am sure there would be videos on the subject if it is.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by mickb » 23 Jul 2020, 12:11 pm

Is it just me or does it look like fine spalling/ fragmentation impacts on the rear facing inner wall of the can?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Jul 2020, 1:12 pm

Are well, one way to get fence posts out of the ground...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jul 2020, 1:41 pm

mickb wrote:Is it just me or does it look like fine spalling/ fragmentation impacts on the rear facing inner wall of the can?

Nah Mate,,,,,, the tin itself is/was as clean as a whistle.
What is showing up in the pics is just sh!t/dirt that ended up in the can after it was rolling around in the back of the ute well after being shot.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics