Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2020, 7:54 pm

Finally got this rifle sighted in today with the new scope and it seems to shoot fairly consistently.
I'm new to shooting higher powered calibers, so the recoil is taking some getting used to but its a nice challenge during lockdown :)
I've started with some Hornady 'Lites' 125gn which are grouping nicely from the bipods, but I also ran a couple of 180gn Federal blue rounds through it and noticed that they pulled considerably right (like.. 5inches at 100m). Still grouped ok, but I was surprised by the horizontal shift. Is that normal for a different load to shift that much on a bigger caliber? or is it just me not doing my bit? Need to get some ~150gn rounds and try them too..

I'm also keen to get what is a very heavy trigger lightened and I don't think its an easy adjustment - can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Geelong area?
Vicko
Private
Private
 
Posts: 93
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Aug 2020, 8:41 pm

You should be able to adjust the trigger easily yourself. Mine is adjusted to 2.8lb.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 5905
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2020, 9:03 pm

Oldbloke wrote:You should be able to adjust the trigger easily yourself. Mine is adjusted to 2.8lb.


Really??? Hmm.. I was told differently. I hope you're right! I better do some googling... :)
Vicko
Private
Private
 
Posts: 93
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Aug 2020, 9:09 pm

Change of POI when changing ammo is common. Although 5" sounds a lot.

That is one of the advantages of reloading, consistency and smaller groups.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 5905
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Vicko » 01 Aug 2020, 10:05 pm

Ok so a bit of googling and youtubing tells me that I should be able to take it down.
Some models can get it adjusted down enough, others not so much.
Even if I can't get it adjusted down light enough I should be able to get a lighter spring for it.
Vicko
Private
Private
 
Posts: 93
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by solarpak » 02 Aug 2020, 12:31 am

Vicko wrote:Finally got this rifle sighted in today with the new scope and it seems to shoot fairly consistently.
I'm new to shooting higher powered calibers, so the recoil is taking some getting used to but its a nice challenge during lockdown :)
I've started with some Hornady 'Lites' 125gn which are grouping nicely from the bipods, but I also ran a couple of 180gn Federal blue rounds through it and noticed that they pulled considerably right (like.. 5inches at 100m). Still grouped ok, but I was surprised by the horizontal shift. Is that normal for a different load to shift that much on a bigger caliber? or is it just me not doing my bit? Need to get some ~150gn rounds and try them too..

I'm also keen to get what is a very heavy trigger lightened and I don't think its an easy adjustment - can anyone recommend a good gunsmith in the Geelong area?


Vicko,
the 125 gr loads on the '06 will work very well on game like goats, fallow and red deer very well. The 150's with a good quality bonded bullet will also perform very well and the 180's will handle sambar without a problem.

Changing ammo can give you a shift in POI horizontally as well as vertically.

The FWT is a nice carry rifle - enjoy.

C.
solarpak
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 242
South Australia

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigpete » 02 Aug 2020, 12:26 pm

Vicko wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:You should be able to adjust the trigger easily yourself. Mine is adjusted to 2.8lb.


Really??? Hmm.. I was told differently. I hope you're right! I better do some googling... :)


The model 70 has just about the easiest trigger to adjust ever
bigpete
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1717
South Australia

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Tilb004 » 02 Aug 2020, 1:21 pm

]Hi Vicko

Ive got a model 70 xtr in 243 and a gunsmith adjusted it down 1 pound no worries .
1pound a bit to light for hunting so he upped it to 2 pound , its nice and crisp .




PART_1570056963630.jpeg
PART_1570056963630.jpeg (155.5 KiB) Viewed 246 times
Tilb004
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 39
Western Australia

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Vicko » 02 Aug 2020, 1:29 pm

Thanks lads - guess I shouldn't take the word of the LGS guy then :)
Vicko
Private
Private
 
Posts: 93
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigrich » 02 Aug 2020, 3:38 pm

Vicko wrote:Thanks lads - guess I shouldn't take the word of the LGS guy then :)


just like going to the doctors , or getting a quote from a panel beaters , always get a few more quotes/opinions

i have three model 70's and i reckon they have one of the most simple, consistant crisp triggers of any factory rifle trigger i've experienced . well , sako triggers are nice ...... :P
winchester 70 triggers are easy to adjust , just don't go to light . :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2432
Queensland

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by marksman » 03 Aug 2020, 11:25 am

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
User avatar
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3224
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Vicko » 03 Aug 2020, 5:33 pm

Yep - I watched that one the other day :) My model 70 is a bit older than his.. hopefully the trigger is roughly the same.

I'm a little reluctant to do the work myself as Ive only ever seen someone take the action out of a rifle once and don't want to screw anything up unwittingly.
But with the whole corona restrictions going on, I might have to give it a go.
I'll see if I can get onto a gunsmith this week as I'm actually keen on getting the barrel threaded to try a brake on it.
Vicko
Private
Private
 
Posts: 93
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigpete » 04 Aug 2020, 11:41 am

Its easy,2 bolts,pull the barrel out,adjust the trigger,put it back in.
bigpete
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1717
South Australia

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigrich » 04 Aug 2020, 4:22 pm

bigpete wrote:Its easy,2 bolts,pull the barrel out,adjust the trigger,put it back in.


umm , three bolts in a model 70 pete :P sorry mate , my OCD couldn't let it go . :lol:

and ya only do up the middle bolt not much more than finger tight vicko ,otherwise it can flex the action or crack the stock if ya get really carried away :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2432
Queensland

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Ziege » 04 Aug 2020, 4:55 pm

Too light for hunting..... Eh???? If the safety works and you're chambering when you should there is no such thing as too light for hunting, my 223 howa is below 0.5lb trigger pull, doesn't bump fire or go off on its own and the safety works fine, my 270 has an accutrigger style tang and the overall pull is with 0 creep and about 0.5lb also.
Ziege
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 386
Western Australia

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Aug 2020, 6:48 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:Its easy,2 bolts,pull the barrel out,adjust the trigger,put it back in.


umm , three bolts in a model 70 pete :P sorry mate , my OCD couldn't let it go . :lol:

and ya only do up the middle bolt not much more than finger tight vicko ,otherwise it can flex the action or crack the stock if ya get really carried away :thumbsup:


I was told that many years ago and found it to be correct.
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 5905
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigpete » 04 Aug 2020, 7:06 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:Its easy,2 bolts,pull the barrel out,adjust the trigger,put it back in.


umm , three bolts in a model 70 pete :P sorry mate , my OCD couldn't let it go . :lol:

and ya only do up the middle bolt not much more than finger tight vicko ,otherwise it can flex the action or crack the stock if ya get really carried away :thumbsup:


3 bolts then lol.

I've been spending too much time on my weatherby lately obviously
bigpete
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1717
South Australia

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigrich » 04 Aug 2020, 8:16 pm

bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:Its easy,2 bolts,pull the barrel out,adjust the trigger,put it back in.


umm , three bolts in a model 70 pete :P sorry mate , my OCD couldn't let it go . :lol:

and ya only do up the middle bolt not much more than finger tight vicko ,otherwise it can flex the action or crack the stock if ya get really carried away :thumbsup:


3 bolts then lol.

I've been spending too much time on my weatherby lately obviously


yeah , bloody weatherbys :lol:

i've had my 223 S2 vangaurd modified . i'd already fitted a timber stock with the factory bedding , but i added a grip cap to the stock so my little finger didn't feel like it was going to slip of the bottom of the pistol grip :lol:
i had 3 inches cut off the barrel and recrowned , so it's a 21 inch barrel now ,and i cut 2 inches off the stock forend to suit and reshaped it . it's now 1/2" longer than my cz452 american and it has a nice neutral balance that makes it seem lighter than the 7 3/4 pounds it now weighs , even with the 4-12x50 meopta scope on it

and it bloody shoots like stink now :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup: :D

i love playing with guns :D
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2432
Queensland

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigpete » 05 Aug 2020, 9:28 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:Its easy,2 bolts,pull the barrel out,adjust the trigger,put it back in.


umm , three bolts in a model 70 pete :P sorry mate , my OCD couldn't let it go . :lol:

and ya only do up the middle bolt not much more than finger tight vicko ,otherwise it can flex the action or crack the stock if ya get really carried away :thumbsup:


3 bolts then lol.

I've been spending too much time on my weatherby lately obviously


yeah , bloody weatherbys :lol:

i've had my 223 S2 vangaurd modified . i'd already fitted a timber stock with the factory bedding , but i added a grip cap to the stock so my little finger didn't feel like it was going to slip of the bottom of the pistol grip :lol:
i had 3 inches cut off the barrel and recrowned , so it's a 21 inch barrel now ,and i cut 2 inches off the stock forend to suit and reshaped it . it's now 1/2" longer than my cz452 american and it has a nice neutral balance that makes it seem lighter than the 7 3/4 pounds it now weighs , even with the 4-12x50 meopta scope on it

and it bloody shoots like stink now :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup: :D

i love playing with guns :D


I love my weatherbys lol
bigpete
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
 
Posts: 1717
South Australia

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by marksman » 05 Aug 2020, 9:34 pm

does anyone know where l can buy winchester parts to convert my 308 featherweight into a 30-06 :unknown:

l would need a mag follower and bolt stop as my 308 is the same action as the 30-06 just a blocked off mag, shorter bolt stop and mag follower
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
User avatar
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3224
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Aug 2020, 9:53 pm

Wouldnt it just be easier, and perhaps cheaper to just sell the 308 & buy a 30-06?
Good manners are free. Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: Text alone does not convey the full message. Practice good hygiene.
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 5905
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by marksman » 05 Aug 2020, 10:04 pm

the 30-06 featherweights are not easy to come by and do not want the bother

l own this one in 308 and have been thinking of a new tube and would rather in long action magazine so if l went for a 280 ackley improved ect... l would need a 30-06/270 mag follower and bolt stop to fit as my 308 featherweight is a long action, even if l went 6.5 x 284, which l may, l would rather the extra mag length for a longer OAL with vld's, its like shooting skinny long needles, very precise
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
User avatar
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3224
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2020, 7:31 am

marksman wrote:does anyone know where l can buy winchester parts to convert my 308 featherweight into a 30-06 :unknown:

l would need a mag follower and bolt stop as my 308 is the same action as the 30-06 just a blocked off mag, shorter bolt stop and mag follower


i sent you a PM regarding parts , MM . the bolt stop should be able to be carefully shortened to get the bolt in the right spot . i had to tweak the bolt stop on my 6.5x55 70 last weekend to get it ejecting a little better as it's CRF

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2432
Queensland

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by marksman » 06 Aug 2020, 2:11 pm

cheers Br your a champ mate, did the work for me :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
User avatar
marksman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3224
Victoria

Re: Winchester model 70 featherweight 30-06

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2020, 5:16 pm

marksman wrote:cheers Br your a champ mate, did the work for me :thumbsup: :drinks:


glad to be able to help mate :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2432
Queensland


Back to top
 
Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics