22mag or 17hmr

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 22mag or 17hmr

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 28 Sep 2020, 6:31 pm

bigrich wrote:
Vicko wrote:17hmr.
I have both a 17hmr and a 22wmr barrel for my CZ457. The 22mag has never been on. 17hmr is like a laser and drops foxes inside 150 if I do my part. I'll be putting the 22wmr barrel on soon just to see how it goes as I have a few boxes of ammo to burn. But I cant see it being as good. The only thing going for the wmr in my book over the hmr is that sub sonics are easily available for it. If you're really worried about wind deflection and dropping foxes past 150m - neither are good options. And 22wmr ammo is notoriously innacurate.

the 22mag accuracy in a weihrauch hw60 i had varied from .75" with no wind and a good batch of ammo , to 1 1/2" with wind and a different box of ammo . i've heard 17hmr is more consistant once you've found what ammo brand/weight it likes. would 17hmr shooters consider this to be the case ?

I have found the cci A17 ammo works extremely well and accuracy at 100 is always around that 1/2 moa groups are the norm. Trial and error big rich
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Sep 2020, 7:14 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:
bigrich wrote:
Vicko wrote:17hmr.
I have both a 17hmr and a 22wmr barrel for my CZ457. The 22mag has never been on. 17hmr is like a laser and drops foxes inside 150 if I do my part. I'll be putting the 22wmr barrel on soon just to see how it goes as I have a few boxes of ammo to burn. But I cant see it being as good. The only thing going for the wmr in my book over the hmr is that sub sonics are easily available for it. If you're really worried about wind deflection and dropping foxes past 150m - neither are good options. And 22wmr ammo is notoriously innacurate.

the 22mag accuracy in a weihrauch hw60 i had varied from .75" with no wind and a good batch of ammo , to 1 1/2" with wind and a different box of ammo . i've heard 17hmr is more consistant once you've found what ammo brand/weight it likes. would 17hmr shooters consider this to be the case ?

I have found the cci A17 ammo works extremely well and accuracy at 100 is always around that 1/2 moa groups are the norm. Trial and error big rich

aww yeah, it's trial and error alright :D 17hmr from what i've been hearing, is more consistant in it's performance from box to box of the same brand/load .
22mag can be a bit up and down .at least in my experience . 40 gn cci worked best , as did federal 50's . the 50's could be useful for head shooting goats/smallish pigs even with a trajectory like a musket :lol:
i dunno if i would try that with a 17hmr but .
crows, foxes,cats and rabbits would seem to be the game most suited to the hmr from opinions and my own research

unless someone's got something to add........ ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Sep 2020, 8:11 pm

Years ago Had my 22 mag poking out the window of the Ute driving past stubble looking for foxes Spotlighting and bugger me a decent boar appeared but he was edgy and I had no time to switch rifles so I lined up his brain and down he went. Good night
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 28 Sep 2020, 8:47 pm

Blr243 wrote:Years ago Had my 22 mag poking out the window of the Ute driving past stubble looking for foxes Spotlighting and bugger me a decent boar appeared but he was edgy and I had no time to switch rifles so I lined up his brain and down he went. Good night

and that is why i'm leaning more towards the 22 mag :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldboganhunter » 02 Oct 2020, 10:09 pm

Hi All,

I think 22 Mag is the way to go.

It surprised me, they did a comparison on Nioa TV --------episode 2, Season 2, July 2013

2 parts starting on Gel blocks & then accuracy.

See what you think :lol: :lol:
Oldboganhunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Oct 2020, 7:50 am

Oldboganhunter wrote:Hi All,

It surprised me, they did a comparison on Nioa TV --------episode 2, Season 2, July 2013

thanks for that heads up mate , definately shines a different light on things . anyone who's been following this topic should give it a watch

with a handle like "oldboganhunter" i just gotta ask, what do you prefer to hunt , falcons or commodores :P do you go for the ones with flares and spoilers as they look better wall mounted :lol:
can't hunt valiants anymore , i think their protected and only roam at reserves and chrysler shows :P

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Codez » 03 Oct 2020, 11:04 pm

I'd go the 22 mag

More knock down power
Codez
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2020, 7:23 am

Haven't really followed this thread. But have you seen this. His conclusion made sense to me.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldboganhunter » 14 Oct 2020, 9:29 pm

bigrich wrote:
Oldboganhunter wrote:Hi All,

thanks for that heads up mate , definately shines a different light on things . anyone who's been following this topic should give it a watch

with a handle like "oldboganhunter" i just gotta ask, what do you prefer to hunt , falcons or commodores :P do you go for the ones with flares and spoilers as they look better wall mounted :lol:
can't hunt valiants anymore , i think their protected and only roam at reserves and chrysler shows :P

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

Ha ha :crazy:

Was Val's! then Land crusher ! .........and now sadly Tritons :violin: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oldboganhunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldboganhunter » 14 Oct 2020, 9:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Haven't really followed this thread. But have you seen this. His conclusion made sense to me.

https://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_17HMR_22WMR.htm

Thanks Oldbloke !

This link was great, basically for me it backs up Nioa TV conclusion.

Very interesting, new types of ammo have revitalized the old 22 Mag.

Another one which comes to mind was 45/70 Govt. :allegedly:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Oldboganhunter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics