.308 currently about $3 a round.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: .308 currently about $3 a round.

Post by Ziege » 21 Oct 2020, 3:37 pm

holy s**t Ive blown through 7000 22lr rounds, 400 223 rounds 150 270 rounds and over 100 300 win rounds this year alone... and this is a QUIET year cos covid

oh 500+12g rounds too
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 3:44 pm

Ziege wrote:holy s**t Ive blown through 7000 22lr rounds, 400 223 rounds 150 270 rounds and over 100 300 win rounds this year alone... and this is a QUIET year cos covid

oh 500+12g rounds too

How much did you make from it? Plenty of meat? Plenty of fun? Plenty of dough? All of the above?
Member-Deleted

Post by eddievic » 21 Oct 2020, 4:08 pm

I shot about 2k CF and probably the same 22lr last year.... this year probably about 500 22lr and a couple of hundred CF.... only 2 months really to shoot
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 21 Oct 2020, 4:20 pm

BangWizzClack - have them in stock ready for a contract. We could do that many in less than a month.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 21 Oct 2020, 4:28 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
Ziege wrote:holy s**t Ive blown through 7000 22lr rounds, 400 223 rounds 150 270 rounds and over 100 300 win rounds this year alone... and this is a QUIET year cos covid

oh 500+12g rounds too

How much did you make from it? Plenty of meat? Plenty of fun? Plenty of dough? All of the above?

Meat, Pest control so ergo some money vicariously, Fun, more Fun, extra fun lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 4:46 pm

animalpest wrote:BangWizzClack - have them in stock ready for a contract. We could do that many in less than a month.

Damn... That is... cool, but also... a little worrisome. I'd imagine once this stock runs low, and you need to get more, you'd probably be looking at significantly increasing your prices which could in turn affect the amount of contracts you get.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 4:47 pm

Ziege wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

oh 500+12g rounds too

Meat, Pest control so ergo some money vicariously, Fun, more Fun, extra fun lol

Well as long as you're getting what you need out of it, it's a big win in my books :p
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Oct 2020, 5:00 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
animalpest wrote:BangWizzClack - have them in stock ready for a contract. We could do that many in less than a month.

Damn... That is... cool, but also... a little worrisome. I'd imagine once this stock runs low, and you need to get more, you'd probably be looking at significantly increasing your prices which could in turn affect the amount of contracts you get.

Got to remember - pest control is a business so his consumables are tax deductible. So he’s saving buying in bulk and then depending on his actual income/tax paid, he could end up paying 50% of retail...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 5:04 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

Got to remember - pest control is a business so his consumables are tax deductible. So he’s saving buying in bulk and then depending on his actual income/tax paid, he could end up paying 50% of retail...

That's a fair point.
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 21 Oct 2020, 5:31 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

Consumables are built into the contract price, so he's not actually paying anything for his ammo, his customers are.
Same as me buying thousands of dollars worth of timber and hardware to build a roof. If I don't build it into the price I quote the client I'd go broke.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Oct 2020, 5:40 pm

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

Consumables are built into the contract price, so he's not actually paying anything for his ammo, his customers are.
Same as me buying thousands of dollars worth of timber and hardware to build a roof. If I don't build it into the price I quote the client I'd go broke.

Guess it depends how he runs it - as a primary producer I can do either...offset costs against other income (meaning tax deductions) or on-charge the costs...either way - he’s not paying $3 a shot lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Oct 2020, 5:46 pm

There are these. I have their rifle rest and very happy with it for $50.

I have never used one. Most reviews sound ok. Made in China I guess. Presses are not rocket science.

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/11035404410
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 21 Oct 2020, 6:25 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:Hey all, just a fair warning, the gun shop I have been purchasing some things from recently had a price hike with the new batch of ammo. It went up about a dollar a round. A box of 20 Outback 165gr Sierra Gameking .308 set me back just under $60. Was quite a devastating blow to the wallet.

Gunco has 150gr PPU for $27 and OSA 165gr outback for $45
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 21 Oct 2020, 6:28 pm

mchughcb wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:Hey all, just a fair warning, the gun shop I have been purchasing some things from recently had a price hike with the new batch of ammo. It went up about a dollar a round. A box of 20 Outback 165gr Sierra Gameking .308 set me back just under $60. Was quite a devastating blow to the wallet.

thats a point, there are two stores here a suburb apart one is a complete ripoff on literally everything, the other is hit n miss but usually damn good on ammo and powder etc. anyhow long story short the expensive one had a "doorbuster" clearance sale once and most of the items listed were slashed considerably from their usual prices however it was still more expensive than others... so yunno... places can vary stupid amounts
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 7:07 pm

mchughcb wrote:

Is that just what's on their website? Possibly not updated?
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 7:10 pm

Oldbloke wrote:There are these. I have their rifle rest and very happy with it for $50.

I have never used one. Most reviews sound ok. Made in China I guess. Presses are not rocket science.

Thanks for the link. I know beggers can't be choosers, but I'll try and stick buying Australian, failing that, I'll go American.
Member-Deleted

Post by animalpest » 21 Oct 2020, 7:14 pm

Last contract we went through 2800 rounds of .308 in 5 days.

My brother said if there is a war, he is coming to my place.

Reloading is not only much cheaper, but you can also tailor make the rounds to your gun (accuracy) and have a broader range of bullets to your liking or game.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 7:31 pm

animalpest wrote:Last contract we went through 2800 rounds of .308 in 5 days.

Reloading is not only much cheaper, but you can also tailor make the rounds to your gun (accuracy) and have a broader range of bullets to your liking or game.

Would you consider paying one of your guys to do reloading for you?
Member-Deleted

Post by mchughcb » 21 Oct 2020, 9:03 pm

animalpest wrote:Last contract we went through 2800 rounds of .308 in 5 days.

How many rounds per kill?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 21 Oct 2020, 10:35 pm

We are required to "double tap" which means 2 rounds per animal. That means even if perfect, you cannot shoot less than that.

Last program was 2.13 rounds averaged across 3 shooters per animal. 2978 animals using 2 bolt action .308 rifles plus a few shot with .375 H&H (128) that were not included in the stats (took out 13 camels with 14 shots). Donkeys, camels and horses.

Good bullets and a clear, calm head.

So yeah, factor the cost of ammo into the job. Everything is a "tax deduction" but as anyone in business knows, it's only a tax deduction off your profits, IF you have one.

RELOAD!!
Last edited by animalpest on 21 Oct 2020, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 21 Oct 2020, 10:51 pm

Doubled tapped head shots. Pros are awesome.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Oct 2020, 10:56 pm

mchughcb wrote:Doubled tapped head shots. Pros are awesome.

AnimalPest, If there is a God, I hope you and your boys are under his wing should you happen to have to defend yourself and face court. That habit will be very hard to make a judge/jury understand. Shooters might, ordinary folks, well, they're just prey for the strong.
Member-Deleted

Post by animalpest » 21 Oct 2020, 11:33 pm

Standing animals are head shot. I am talking about shooting one animal per minute all day.

I did not say they are head shot and in fact horses on the move are extremely difficult to head shoot as they are always swinging their head around.

You double shoot them because it guarantees a kill. Just because you " head" shoot something doesn't mean it is a brain shot. Whack him in the heart/lung after and that is your guarantee. Ditto with neck shots as neck shots may only just stun them so I don't recommend that on larger animals, even with a .308

Overkill is better than underkill. I can easily defend that.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 22 Oct 2020, 12:03 am

this is why I love schtonking Donks with the 270 and 300win, bulk hitting power, usually the gigantic holes where their life used to be is more than enough evidence that theyre dead. but in sayin that Ive had one run 650m with both lungs half dragging on the ground and blood spewing out everywhere
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by deanp100 » 22 Oct 2020, 4:41 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:

AnimalPest, If there is a God, I hope you and your boys are under his wing should you happen to have to defend yourself and face court. That habit will be very hard to make a judge/jury understand. Shooters might, ordinary folks, well, they're just prey for the strong.

What are you talking about? They are shooting animals for a job, not going to war.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Oct 2020, 4:57 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:There are these. I have their rifle rest and very happy with it for $50.

Thanks for the link. I know beggers can't be choosers, but I'll try and stick buying Australian, failing that, I'll go American.

Then buy Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi.

Get the Simplex "O" frame pres

http://simplexreloading.com.au/presses/

I have one, they are great. :clap: :clap: :D :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2020, 5:59 pm

BangWhizzClack wrote:

What?
If you're referring to double-taps I'm unaware of any legal problem with doing so in legitimate self-defense. Doubles are a very useful technique to stop an attacker quickly. Taking one shot, then waiting to determine if another shot is required will get you killed. Self-defense requires an immediate and genuine threat. If you have time to mess about it's unlikely to be considered an imminent threat. If you have to shoot, keep shooting until until the threat is no longer a threat.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 Oct 2020, 7:57 pm

These threads sure do take off on a tangent nowadays.
It's kinda like being in a busy room having 3 conversations at once :lol: "308 currently about $3 a round" has turned into talking double tapping, pro shooting, business running costs 101, self defense ... I can't keep up :wtf: :lol:

It's been so long since I bought factory rounds, last time I did I reckon I was paying around $1each for .243 and I thought that was too expensive.
Then I saw a second hand lee loader behind the counter, I snapped it up for $30 and the salesman adjusted the scoop to bring it to a volume sutible for the powder I purchased.
I also bought bulk primers and projectiles and grabbed a ADI reloading guide that day.
That night I bought a second hand Nick Harvey reloading manual from a mate and never looked back at factory stuff.

Since then I've added many home made and store bought bits n pieces to turn my reloading into a fine art that produces sub .5 moa results whilst still using my cheap lee loaders
I now use
Loading block
Scales
Trickler
Full set of lee dippers
Funnel
Neck turner
Neck trimmer
Neck chamfurer
Wet tumbler
Sort and batch cases by weight (I know volume is better)
Chronograph
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Oct 2020, 8:31 pm

bladeracer wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

What?
If you're referring to double-taps I'm unaware of any legal problem with doing so in legitimate self-defense. Doubles are a very useful technique to stop an attacker quickly. Taking one shot, then waiting to determine if another shot is required will get you killed. Self-defense requires an immediate and genuine threat. If you have time to mess about it's unlikely to be considered an imminent threat. If you have to shoot, keep shooting until until the threat is no longer a threat.

I 100% agree with you, as will most shooters I assume, however, when I was doing my security courses here in VIC, the guys who did their armed guard qualifications said they are trained to extend, fire once, retract, observe, if the threat is still there, extend, fire once, retract. Etc. They said it's very difficult to justify your way out of what you were trained to do.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Oct 2020, 8:32 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
BangWhizzClack wrote:

Then buy Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi.

Get the Simplex "O" frame pres

http://simplexreloading.com.au/presses/

I have one, they are great. :clap: :clap: :D :lol:

Thank you!
Member-Deleted

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics