Why is it so?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Why is it so?

Post by Blr243 » 23 Nov 2020, 2:00 pm

Reading adi handloaders tables we see a certain load might give 3700 FPS and the pressure is listed beside it. Generally it makes sense that another load offering 3750 FPS should have A higher pressure than the first load. But sometimes the opposite is the case. One would think that every time the pressure is higher, the velocity should be too ..... I have always, for decades in fact wondered about this ...can someone shed some light please ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Why is it so?

Post by Ziege » 23 Nov 2020, 2:06 pm

has to do with burn rate vs available space in the case vs bullet weight/expansion of area gas occupies etc... theres a lot to it.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 23 Nov 2020, 2:21 pm

So maybe a higher initial pressure, but a pressure that drops off quicker, and therefore does not push the bullet as fast ? Sounds like a deep , complex situation
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 23 Nov 2020, 2:33 pm

well each situation is entirely dependent on the projectile, powder and charge and case... even primer and freebore and all that... so yeah
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2020, 3:08 pm

Scientific phenomenon called "just because" ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 23 Nov 2020, 3:21 pm

Loading say, 2208 will give velocity of 3700 fps. The case is only filled to 90% capacity.
But if you load with a slower powder, 2209, velocity may be slightly higher with a near 100% fill of the case.
The 2209 burns and pushes the bullet for a longer period of time with the same peak pressure.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 23 Nov 2020, 3:27 pm

The bearing surface of the bullet is an important spec. The more surface area the higher the friction in the barrel which slows the bullet down.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Blr243 » 23 Nov 2020, 4:14 pm

Gradually. I’m getting it .....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 23 Nov 2020, 6:38 pm

Haaa Haaaaa Blr you are starting to see that oils aint oils
Why is it so, hmmmm

this is well and truly because of COAL and lead
but my friend l could babble on and take the credit all day to give you an answer to "Why is it so"
the explanation would be better from an expert like Bryan Litz who can explain it much better than l could, enjoy :drinks:
https://bergerbullets.com/effects-of-ca ... to-part-1/

this is something everyone should know about before having a custom chamber cut :thumbsup:

l forgot to add fark sammi :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Nov 2020, 10:28 pm

Thanks for the link marksman. And I also need to know from u lot which paddock I should be hunting because my second stint tonight will be my last chance and I just can’t seem to get it right
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Nov 2020, 7:01 am

l would be hitting the paddock that gets the first shade,
sitting back aways waiting for the beasts to come out of the bush then shoot the farkers in the head and take them home for salami if you have a good recipe
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 24 Nov 2020, 7:30 am

Depending what you mean by another load it may well be due to the pressure curve created by the burning powder.
If you think of it like a car accelerating down a 20km road (the barrel).
If the car accelerates at 20km/hr per second for 3 seconds it is going 60km/h for a given amount of pressure on the motor.
If the same car accelerates at 15km/h per second for 4 seconds it is doing the same speed but did so at less pressure.
So a fast burning powder is a quick push and a slow burning powder is a slower push over a longer period.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 24 Nov 2020, 2:56 pm

As the late Professor Julius Sumner Miller said, "why is it so?.........buggered if I know"
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics