.223 subsonic ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: .223 subsonic ammo

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2019, 9:09 pm

ash_hendo wrote:Interesting, I've heard .22lr in a .223 adaptor can have problems because of twist rates, has anyone ever actually seen/used one of those adaptors? On paper they look like a good way to get an inexpensive, quiet rabbit plinker out of a .223 or .22-250

I can't see it being any different to shooting cast bullets, if you can shoot soft cast bullets okay you should be able to shoot .22LR without any difficulty.

The recent thread about drillings has me hunting for a .224" barrel I can machine to drop into a shotgun bore. With a .22 Hornet chambering I think it'd be quite useful to make a standard double gun into a poor man's 12ga./.22 Hornet "drilling".
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 26 Nov 2019, 9:11 pm

I sorted my loading gear on the weekend and the only 80gn .243 pills I have is 46 x Nosler Varmageddon that one of my crew purchased which I do not think are suitable.I am a plumber and have lots of scrap lead and made sinkers for beach casting.I would love to cast my own .243 lead bullets and launch them at less than 1000 fps.Winchester long Z are 29gn and doing 770 fps and are seriously quiet.I can make a bit of a pop just not louder than a standard .22LR.I am getting excited and have just found out we are moving on the weekend to a house with a proper workshop plus we are going to use my mate with the rabbit place to excavate a job for a few weeks at the end of January so happy days
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2019, 9:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Interesting, I've heard .22lr in a .223 adaptor can have problems because of twist rates, has anyone ever actually seen/used one of those adaptors? On paper they look like a good way to get an inexpensive, quiet rabbit plinker out of a .223 or .22-250

I was looking at them a few weeks ago. Mostly seem to be about 6" barrels, so results would be low velocities and at best average accuaracy.

I think you are confusing these with the shotgun adaptors. He's referring to "sub-caliber" adaptors for rifles, to let you shoot smaller .22-chamberings in a .223 or .22-250, or 32ACP in .303/7.62x54R for example. They call them sub-caliber but the caliber doesn't change.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2019, 9:16 pm

duncan61 wrote:I sorted my loading gear on the weekend and the only 80gn .243 pills I have is 46 x Nosler Varmageddon that one of my crew purchased which I do not think are suitable.I am a plumber and have lots of scrap lead and made sinkers for beach casting.I would love to cast my own .243 lead bullets and launch them at less than 1000 fps.Winchester long Z are 29gn and doing 770 fps and are seriously quiet.I can make a bit of a pop just not louder than a standard .22LR.I am getting excited and have just found out we are moving on the weekend to a house with a proper workshop plus we are going to use my mate with the rabbit place to excavate a job for a few weeks at the end of January so happy days

I use the Lee mould, very cheap, and all you need is a ladle and a gas torch, and some Lee Alox lube.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 26 Nov 2019, 9:24 pm

There appears to be many moulds out there any advice on ordering one in Australia 80gn .243
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2019, 9:51 pm

duncan61 wrote:There appears to be many moulds out there any advice on ordering one in Australia 80gn .243

If you want a specific weight you might need a custom mould.
CBE do excellent moulds, but they are more expensive.
http://www.castbulletengineering.com.au ... mm-calibre
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 26 Nov 2019, 10:09 pm

I have no problem using 100gn bullets it was just that one of my crew did the whole go heavy as you can and the factory 100gn he bought he could not hit the roos in the head.This is why I use middle weight bullets for my rifles and standardized my ammo a long time ago.My LGS has 87 gn PSP hornady for $42 I might just start with them but thanks for the link
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 26 Nov 2019, 11:49 pm

Would it be insane to buy 20 x 100gn Highland factory ammo for $28 and pull them and load 8gn of Trailboss as a quick way to have something to test
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Nov 2019, 6:26 am

Slightly wasteful and time consuming. You don't have some brass and bullets sitting around that you could use?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 Nov 2019, 7:50 am

duncan61 wrote:Would it be insane to buy 20 x 100gn Highland factory ammo for $28 and pull them and load 8gn of Trailboss as a quick way to have something to test

Expensive, but it is a quick and easy way to see if it's something you want to pursue.
Similar to how I use shotguns, buy bulk field loads and change the payloads to suit my needs.
Does your rifle stabilise 100gn bullets?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 16 Mar 2020, 9:52 pm

Chronos wrote:Loading very small charges of regular powders in cases can be a dangerous activity, a event known as secondary effect is something you should read about.

There are powders produced that are suitable for such activities and i believe some companies provide date for these powders. ADI is one such company and produces trail boss for subsonic loads and lists 4gr of trail boss will drive a 55gr sp at around 1075fps in a .223

Take a look at the current ADI load tables here

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... +x+45mm%29

Chronos

It's all about the right powder choice. Subsonics are perfectly safe. Powders no SLOWER in burn rate than AR2205 is the #1 rule! Oh and cast bullets, cant speak for jacketed bullets.
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics