Shooting with vs without Bipods.

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: Shooting with vs without Bipods.

Post by wade06 » 03 Aug 2016, 10:17 am

I've got some cheap sandbags but may get a bipod for my 22LR. I assume 6-9" is best for bench shooting or off the roof of a ute?

Vipertek bipods ($90) are half the price of Harris. Any experience with them? Cheers
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 03 Aug 2016, 12:33 pm

wade06 wrote:I've got some cheap sandbags but may get a bipod for my 22LR. I assume 6-9" is best for bench shooting or off the roof of a ute?

Vipertek bipods ($90) are half the price of Harris. Any experience with them? Cheers

I just buy the Chinese copies off Ebay, got a bunch of them. I have an original Harris 7-12" I bought 33 years ago and I can't find any real differences, except that the Harris has steel legs. I use a 9-14" on the .204 to avoid shooting through grass but that's the longest.
One annoyance is the amount of room they take up in the safe means I have to remove them. The Chinese ones are easy to mount because they have a large knurled knob but the Harris I need a screwdriver to unscrew it. I don't know if modern ones are the same though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 Aug 2016, 1:00 pm

I've got 2 of them and they are as good as the Harris to use and so much cheaper. You should be able to pick them up for around $60 though unless they've gone up recently. Hermann's has them for $79

http://www.sportingguns.com.au/rifle-bipods/212-vipertek-rifle-bipod-6-9-inch-with-pivot-motion.html
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 03 Aug 2016, 5:40 pm

To me it's s fairly simple question. I can attain good groups with a pod, but more importantly I shoot with a bipod in the field so I shoot with a bipod on the bench.

And bipods look cool......,
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by northdude » 03 Aug 2016, 7:34 pm

theres a good article called bugholes from bipod on this its a good read
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by scotty87 » 03 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

i've found with my sporter barreled .308 that if i'm shooting off a front rest I still need to hold the forend, other wise I pull shots due to combination of trigger and that my stock doesn't free recoil that well on my rest. I'm going to confirm this at the range this weekend with my next lot of reloads.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Aug 2016, 10:17 am

I'm a bipod man in the field - best accessory you can put on a hunting rifle other than a scope. I like mine long enough that I can sit and shoot, short ones are a PITA if the grass is long and usually limit your options too much for my liking. To me bipods are an essential part of my kit.

These were all shot at 220-250m sitting on the hillside shooting down into a valley.

Mum and Son nailed at 270M+ I was sitting under a yellowbox from memory with the bipod sitting on my feet for extra elevation.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wade06 » 05 Aug 2016, 11:19 am

Nice gun and good shooting bigfella. What gun is it?

What length is your bipod?
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bluerob » 05 Aug 2016, 12:50 pm

I see that Voldemort have a heap of different options on sale or in stock for anyone looking....a few different types....
bluerob
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Aug 2016, 8:44 pm

wade06 wrote:Nice gun and good shooting bigfella. What gun is it?

What length is your bipod?

Cheers mate, its a Howa 204 in a Pepper Prairie Hunter Stock, the bipods a Harris 13-27" I think it is, I also have a knock-off which works well too but just an inch or so shorter so not quite suited to me and my fat gut :D

I find the longer ones brilliant for my type of hunting (sitting under a tree and whistling or sniping over warrens etc) the shorter ones just aren't versatile enough for my liking (own a few of those too) fine for shooting at a range but a bit limiting out bush I find. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 05 Aug 2016, 9:45 pm

I'm a bipod man in the field - best accessory you can put on a hunting rifle other than a scope

True that.. hitting small animals in the head at long distances you need the support. The fuzzies were hit at 250 meters with the 204 and all edible thanks to the bipod.
Attachments
204_rabbits.jpg
204_rabbits.jpg (29.95 KiB) Viewed 3437 times
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics