22-250 or 243

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 22-250 or 243

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2021, 4:55 am

Hey GDB, haven’t seen you around for a while. Hope all is well and you’ve been successful knocking over critters :D the 243 has been through a few changes, I like for liked the tikka m55 for a push feed model 70 Winchester xtr. Had that rebarreled by a Toowoomba smith with a IBI barrel from cleaver. Lovely rifle that shoots cloverleaf at 100 yards with 95 sst’s . Haven’t had a chance to use it out in the paddock yet . Last time I was out I took my 270 .
Sometimes I think I’ve got too many toys :roll:
Trying to get time to organise another trip to get out and about,maybe get a chance to put the 243 to some use :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 06 Jul 2021, 7:47 am

:thumbsup: good to hear all's well bigrich mate yeah and all's well this end to , i haven't done much lately myself shootin wise just an odd one here and there haven't had time, the jerky is running me ragged and we've been looking for a block to buy to run some cattle , my son is the money and i'm just the cheer squad , but we finally found one and we've been sorting that out so we can move onto it ''almost there'' plenty of pigs and dogs on it so i'll have plenty to do for awhile :thumbsup: it's pretty run down at the moment though. And what would we do without our toys mate even though we can't get to use them with this covid stuff although we haven't been too restricted :thumbsup: up here not like down south, if it gets any worst the Gov might roll out the barbed wire and electric fences :lol: :thumbsup: but anyway good to see your still good and having fun even if its only a little bit cheers :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Jul 2021, 8:41 am

Thanks for your reply GDB , I’ll be looking for a property myself in about a year. Want to get something out around Stanthorpe/Tenterfield region. Got plans about going halves with a mate. He’s got a 70’s hardwood high set house to move around the same time. Original plan is for a “lifestyle “ block, but if we get a orchard going on part of it, I might move out permanently and put a few cattle on it to. We’ll see ;)
Back to 243, I think “old bloke “ has the right idea. He has a 30-06 to do everything, I’m thinking my 270 will be good as well. I’m not interested in high velocities, moderate loads with 130’s and 2209 for the light stuff and RE22 with 150sst’s when I want to reach out with loads of energy
We’ll see, at the moment I’m enjoying my 243 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 06 Jul 2021, 9:24 am

yeah bigrich , mate i'm cutting back on toys as well i only use the 22-250 and the 7mm the rest most likely will go unless one of my boys want them and the old 30-06 is still work in process 8-) yes our block is only just over 100ac pretty much a lifestyle block but good country it's been holding 35 head there abouts for the last 25yrs even through the dry this is why we chased the block , i know it well i actually cleared most of it when i had my dozer and i've been chasing that block for over 10yrs and finally we have it. as far as rifles go i doubt i'll have enough time in the foreseeable future to need them all only the work ones so i'll start thinning them out and ya never know one day i may have enough time and that'll be a good reason to buy a new one :lol: anyway mate cheers and good to hear from you :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bluehorse » 28 Oct 2021, 4:56 pm

22 250 is a different calibre to 243 win
They both have certain applications . I have both . In my humble opinion 243 is head and shoulders above 22 250 every day of the week .I prefer lighter projectiles in 243 and do not load to shoot pigs as large pigs are not so easy to knock down at rages over 100 150 metres . And I load to shoot roos with 55s as my favourite 60s 70s 75s do a good job .flat shooting and hard hitting . Easy to reload and get good results , In my experience 22 250 are fussy and full length resize needed every time . Case trimming essential each time and then they perform when u find their load , Very finicky I think . . and if you do not resize and trim each time then I cannot get results ,. On the other hand I neck sized 243 and trimmed every few rounds . WhenI first began reloading a had a copy of Cyrill Waterworths Reloading simplified . . I used simplex full length resize die for both and it was adequate . Also i like Du Pont powder no longer available . 3031 for 55 and 60s with not maximum but not suggested start load either . The only difference for me is 243 costs more to reload but much easier to get results . 55s out of 243 on roos makes22 250 look tame in my opinion . . I used both and 243 is my choice . have a couple of each . . I used 1000 90 grainer spitzer and they worked ok but not as flat as light projectiles . Overall 243 was less work for me . I suggest if u want to go after pigs use the next size up . I have 270for that ,.
Pigs are totally different kettle of fish if u work alone , I want to know that if i poke at 1 I get a kill . I do not go wandering around on foot chasing pigs alone . I do not think tackling a large pig alone is desireable because where there is 1 there is more and they will charge in some circumstances , There are horrific tales about pigs injuring people so if u choose a rifle to knock pigs ( not sucker size ) use a large calibre it just may save you from yourself . I have shot a boar with a 22 hornet 1 time but that does not mean it is a good item to kill pigs across the board , It was a lucky .shot . Each calibre has its uses . I had a mate in 70,s used a 308 Magnum . He worked out west roo shooting and knocking the odd large pig . He used to say he could knock them at longer distance . Times change and every one has a favourite calibre and a pet load . . Remember safety first especially with pigs , I am not talking about 40lb porkers .
bluehorse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by animalpest » 28 Oct 2021, 8:14 pm

I have 2 x .243 rifles. One a sporter weight Ruger 77 and the other a heavy barrelled Reminton. I like both.

Yet for fox shooting I always seem to go with the 22/250. Maybe because that calibre was my first seriously accurate rifle back in the early 80's.

For big paddocks on windy nights the 6mm is hard to beat.

I have always only neck sized 22/250 brass and never had an issue. Most brass is considerably undersized when new. Trim to length no more than any other calibre.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Oct 2021, 8:23 pm

bluehorse wrote:22 250 is a different calibre to 243 win
They both have certain applications . I have both . In my humble opinion 243 is head and shoulders above 22 250 every day of the week .I prefer lighter projectiles in 243 and do not load to shoot pigs as large pigs are not so easy to knock down at rages over 100 150 metres . And I load to shoot roos with 55s as my favourite 60s 70s 75s do a good job .flat shooting and hard hitting . Easy to reload and get good results , In my experience 22 250 are fussy and full length resize ger distance . .

I have to disagree, the 22/250 is not fussy and is very easy to get good results from the case. The 243 needs to be trimmed as much as the 22/250, the 243 is know from lengthening cases. Both are awesome cases and I have reloaded extensively for both. At the end of the day, both have been superceded by the BR Dasher cases and would only be used mainly by hunters.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 31 Oct 2021, 4:47 pm

another vote for 243 out of those 2 otherwise my all rounder is a 6.5x55
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 02 Nov 2021, 7:58 pm

northdude wrote:another vote for 243 out of those 2 otherwise my all rounder is a 6.5x55

i like the swede , but i've stepped up to 270 win . it's the caliber that hot loaded 6'5x55 try to be .and i've loaded the swede up in modern actions . having said that i'm just starting to play with 30-06 :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 02 Nov 2021, 8:16 pm

bigrich wrote:having said that i'm just starting to play with 30-06 :P

Good calibre, mind you I like the efficiency of the 308 as well.

Also the 300 Win Mag. Huge belted magnum, moderate 150gn projectile and around 3300fps. Lots of fun :mrgreen:
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by deye243 » 02 Nov 2021, 8:32 pm

I have never liked the 22-250 but after doing a bit of research if only they would bring one out in 1:8 twist I would probably consider buying one .

for me a 243 with a 55 or 65 grain pill slaughters a 22 250 in every way but a 22 250 loaded with a 75 or 80 grain eld-m would be a great cartridge for Fox , roo or whatever shooting long-range short range in the wind or no wind .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics