17 Hornady Hornet

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

17 Hornady Hornet

Post by snag » 23 Mar 2021, 8:23 pm

Does anyone have one of these? When they came out they were going to be the biggest thing since hula hoops, but you never seem to hear about them anymore. Reason I'm asking is I'm planning my next Martini Cadet build and I like to do things a little different. This would be a very easy build and I haven't seen it done before - is there a reason for that ? Is it a good thing or just a hyped-up non performer? Interested in peoples experience with this calibre.
thanks.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: 17 Hornady Hornet

Post by Bill » 24 Mar 2021, 6:59 am

Would be an easy build snag and will work fine on a Martini Cadet, I had a Ruger 17 HH but I converted it to 20 HH as I wanted to 20cal and I already had a 17 wsm.

Its easy to load and has bugger all recoil and a laser out to 250m. . :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 24 Mar 2021, 8:03 am

It seems like the 17 Hornady Hornet is well on the path back to it's origins of being a wildcat only.
That being the case, a 17 Bee wildcat has advantages in that no extractor modification is needed and a little more performance is available.
If there ever becomes a need to form cases from parent brass then the 22 Bee, being more robust, has an advantage over the Hornet.
Bushing the firing pin to a smaller diameter would be desirable in both calibers.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 24 Mar 2021, 9:31 am

Still plenty of ammo avaible for the 17 Hornet at every gunship I visit so definetly not quite wildcat territory straight shooter.

Sellier bellot is the pick of the ammo, hornady had inconsistent primer pockets.

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Mar 2021, 6:43 pm

Would you be better off with a 20/222 or a 20 Practical?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 25 Mar 2021, 6:33 am

Bill wrote:Still plenty of ammo avaible for the 17 Hornet at every gunship I visit so definetly not quite wildcat territory straight shooter.

Sellier bellot is the pick of the ammo, hornady had inconsistent primer pockets.

When most gunshops are denuded of just about everything doesn't that in some ways suggest very feeble demand for the 17 Hornet.
What is the inevitable result when there is feeble demand for any product?
I would suggest if one is committed to a 17 Hornet grab the opportunity to buy up big now.
Either that or learn a technique for forming from 22 Hornet cases.
The price of consumables for our sport only ever goes in one direction.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 25 Mar 2021, 1:21 pm

haha I have no doubt there is feeble demand, and yes forming brass from 22 hornet would be easy

Snag have you already got the action and barrel ?? I was going to use my mintish stainless Ruger 17 Hornet barrel for a cadet build but happy to pass it on if you're interested, Has only had 44 rounds put thru. 26 inches so plenty of meat left to build a nice 21 inch Cadet. :thumbsup:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by snag » 26 Mar 2021, 7:49 pm

Thanks for all the input guys - I think that it will be a 17 hornet. Reason why? Because I don't have one and it has piqued my interest, seems to be a performer that I can buy/form brass for pretty easily. Haven't gotten any further than the idle speculation stage, but that's where all my projects start. Bill, I'll PM you about that barrel - if I decide to go ahead, a barrel will be kinda important.
Thanks everyone.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2021, 8:35 pm

I had a look as I'd never heard of the Hornady Hornet, figured it must be a wildcat.
Am I right in thinking that you're referring to the .17 Hornet?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Mar 2021, 8:43 am

Hornady took the Ackley 17 Hornet and produced factory ammo with it making it no longer a wildcat. Bit like Ruger and the 204.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2021, 12:48 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Hornady took the Ackley 17 Hornet and produced factory ammo with it making it no longer a wildcat. Bit like Ruger and the 204.

Yes, I'm aware of that, but was it ever called "Hornady Hornet"?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Mar 2021, 2:35 pm

Yes the marketing launched it as a Hornady calibre, why not after all the Remington and Winchester chamberings.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by snag » 27 Mar 2021, 7:18 pm

Yeah, when it was released that was the name of the cartridge. As in this excerpt from a gun review at the time:

"Hornady introduced their factory .17 Hornady Hornet ammunition at the 2012 SHOT show. With some slight changes to the popular .17 Ackley Hornet wildcat, Hornady continued to embrace the .17 caliber in its various forms with this new factory offering."

I think that with time and familiarity it has become commonly called the 17 Hornet, such as we all say .303 and know that it generally means .303 British. I opted for the full name in my post to avoid confusion with the other .17 calibre variants. Sorry if I created my own source of confusion there!
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brinny » 27 Mar 2021, 9:34 pm

Yeah...i just bought a CZ 527 17 hornet....getting my arse reamed by neighbors when im taking out foxes in built up areas in the early hours of the morning with the 204....this should cut the noise down a fair bit....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 28 Mar 2021, 8:28 am

I still run a 17 Hornet. It can really shoot some impressive groups. I usually reload everything for the 17Hornet but did buy some S and B Ammo the other day. (Almost fell over at the cost). It shot very well with some 18mm groups.
I have never know it as a 17 Hornady Hornet. It has alway been a 17Hornet from day dot. Never seen a manual that called it a 17HH. There have been articles that has called it Hornadys 17 Hornet but that is about it. Why some people call it a 17 HH has got me beat. :wtf:
Brass was non existent when I got mine (2013) and I made my cases from 22 Hornet cases. I still use those cases today. When Hornady brass did become available it did have slightly dished bases. Some people got all wrapped around the axles about this but it made little if any difference to the reloading or accuracy of the round. This has since been fixed. This is very old news, but mud sticks! Brass is easy to come by, it is cheap to run and is very accurate. After looking around on line at prices :shock: reloading is the go by a long way but the cost of reloading is changing as well. :thumbsdown: Brass can be found on classified boards easily enough. I swage my own projectiles and so these are not a problem.
Only down side with the Hornet is the rimmed case and I have jammed up more than one CZ magazine when loading it up in the dark. Rim lock can be an issue if care is not taken when filling the mag.
Other than chasing brass when spotlighting ( a issue for all reloaded) it is a dream to use under a light. You can see the projectile hit as it has so little recoil and fast moving.
I do not recommend shooting this caliber at less than 1400f/s as there is no expansion of the projectile and accuracy is poor. I have built and fired everything from a empty jacket up to 30gn SP. 17-25gn is by far the most useful weight range in the 1:9” twist rate out of the CZ.
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 28 Mar 2021, 9:15 am

The problem in not describing which chamberings you are using will lead to confusion regarding what brass or dies etc.. you are wanting. You may have necked down the original long tapered neck case to 17 or have an original 17 AI Hornet which has a thicker rim and less body taper.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 28 Mar 2021, 9:36 am

No Confusion. 17H is a 17H. 17Ackley improved is a 17Ackley improved. If you are referring to my last post I made specific ref to necking down 22 Hornet cases. :drinks:

Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Skinna » 28 Mar 2021, 11:54 am

brinny wrote:Yeah...i just bought a CZ 527 17 hornet....getting my arse reamed by neighbors when im taking out foxes in built up areas in the early hours of the morning with the 204....this should cut the noise down a fair bit....

G'day Brinny.
Mate do you reload for your foxing...? (i cant remember)
If you do, & are willing to buy trailboss (or get a smaller amount off of someone--maybe go halves in a bottle)
Try loading some with that. *-(8-9 grains behind 32 or 40 will get you moving).
I use it with 32's (from memory you shoot 40's which will work ok too but have greater trajectory loop & run slower).
With the 32's they are humming along at near enough to or a smidge under 2500fps & are quiet like the hornet too.

Even now you have the 17 hornet, it might be worthwhile to carry a few for the times when you want or need a lesser volume or power load.
Just try half dozen first & see where they print, with any luck they will just have an elevation drop from the full loads, in which case, when you need a quick reduced load near the neighbours you can just push one in the top of the Sako & be hush hush. :thumbsup: They still have plenty of killing power & you still hear the impact to know its a winner. :clap:
They are quiet enough that our older pre-damaged ears can easily get away without ears on, unlike the full loads of the 204 that leave us hearing the hum of the moon for the rest of the night if we forget to muff/plug up.
:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brinny » 28 Mar 2021, 6:35 pm

Skinna wrote:
brinny wrote:Yeah...i just bought a CZ 527 17 hornet....getting my arse reamed by neighbors when im taking out foxes in built up areas in the early hours of the morning with the 204....this should cut the noise down a fair bit....

G'day Brinny.
Mate do you reload for your foxing...? (i cant remember)
If you do, & are willing to buy trailboss (or get a smaller amount off of someone--maybe go halves in a bottle)
Try loading some with that. *-(8-9 grains behind 32 or 40 will get you moving).
I use it with 32's (from memory you shoot 40's which will work ok too but have greater trajectory loop & run slower).
With the 32's they are humming along at near enough to or a smidge under 2500fps & are quiet like the hornet too.

Even now you have the 17 hornet, it might be worthwhile to carry a few for the times when you want or need a lesser volume or power load.
Just try half dozen first & see where they print, with any luck they will just have an elevation drop from the full loads, in which case, when you need a quick reduced load near the neighbours you can just push one in the top of the Sako & be hush hush. :thumbsup: They still have plenty of killing power & you still hear the impact to know its a winner. :clap:
They are quiet enough that our older pre-damaged ears can easily get away without ears on, unlike the full loads of the 204 that leave us hearing the hum of the moon for the rest of the night if we forget to muff/plug up.
:drinks:

I do reload everything.....Cant even remember the last time i bought factory ammo....TBH, im really not much into farting about with loads....I found a load that the Sako likes and i stick with that....
I dont do a heck of a lot around populated areas, but when i do, i try my best now to not upset the locals ...even to the degree of getting a new silenced muffler shipped in from America for my new Polaris as its fairly load as well....
I havent even fired a shot out of the hornet yet as im still trying to set it up....I have a GSCI S350 thermal ready to go on it, but it sits way to high on it and have been looking around to get a low mount for it....

Have got onto this O/S company from a member of my FB hunting group and they make some pretty impressive looking mounts....
Will be contacting them to see if they can make me up one.....

https://external.xx.fbcdn.net/safe_imag ... LWmofIqFFt
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by snag » 04 Apr 2021, 7:52 pm

Hey bladeracer, just to put to rest an earlier discussion, I am looking at asking Alan Swan to do the barrel fitting for me and he calls it the .17 Hornady hornet on his website. Must have been the original designation.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 04 Apr 2021, 8:02 pm

:lol: Must be true then! Eh.. :allegedly:
Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bills Shed » 05 Apr 2021, 7:16 am

Hornady is the trade name or Brand, call it what you like. The name of the cartridge is 17 Hornet. It is only advertising and write ups that make distinction between similar sized cartridges that refer to it as the Hornady 17 Hornet. Gunsmiths would also need to make this distinction as if you asked for a 17AI and got a 17H, there would be trouble.
From Hornady web site,
“Now Hornady has decided to neck down the case to .17 caliber, creating the .17 Hornet.”

It is a great little cartridge and with a few more rabbits around ATM, I am looking forward to stretching the 17 Hornets legs over some gullies.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by snag » 05 Apr 2021, 8:06 pm

Fair enough mate. "Call me any name you like, just don't call me late to dinner!" (W.C. Fields).
I'm gunna build it.
I'm gunna load for it.
And I'm gunna shoot it over some gullies just like you.
Little furry buggers beware .....
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Downunder » 30 Jun 2021, 6:58 am

Small cartridges are finicky to hand load but shooting them is fun, especially at range.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bills Shed » 30 Jun 2021, 9:28 pm

Nice, what are you loading?
Bill
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Downunder » 19 Jul 2021, 9:46 am

Bills Shed wrote:Nice, what are you loading?
Bill

Sorry Bill I missed your reply but I may have answer you in another thread, anyway.

Winchester factory brass, CCI BR4, 20gn VMAX in front of 12.4gn of 2207 for just shy of 3700fps from a 23.5” tube 8.5 twist.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by snag » 11 Sep 2021, 8:07 pm

The build is happening.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 28 Jun 2022, 5:12 pm

Complete.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1656400036402.jpg
FB_IMG_1656400036402.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
FB_IMG_1656400067209.jpg
FB_IMG_1656400067209.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics