9.3x62 for ozzie hunting

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

9.3x62 for ozzie hunting

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2021, 7:30 am

hey fellas, just wanting to hear if anyone is using this great old caliber in the feild . obviousley it's a good caliber for sambar , but does anyone use it on red deer, pigs , ect . from my reading , the biggest problem is trying to find projectiles that expand properly on lighter medium game . most projectiles are designed for african plains game apparently . any feedback or thoughts on this ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: 9.3x62 for ozzie hunting

Post by straightshooter » 22 Aug 2021, 8:31 am

I have a 9.3x74R which has comparable ballistics to a 9.3x62.
Over the years I have tried RWS T Mantle (plenty of lead showing), Lapua Mega, PPU in 286 grain and Speer 270 grain all on central NSW pigs.
There is not a lot to choose between them as they all produce a decent exit hole even when the shot is mostly north south in the animal.
Most shots were in the 50 to 100 meter ranges where these days I would prefer to use a 44 mag with 180 grain projectiles although I would not trust those on a north south shot at other than a close range.
The RWS T Mantle might not be a good choice on something like buffalo.
My preference was PPU due to price and adequate performance but they are unobtainable now so my second choice would be Speer although there are now more US manufacturers these days which I haven't tried.
I am now in the throes of indecision about progressing with a build of a 9.3x57 lightweight on a small ring mauser. Shoulder busters aren't quite the fun they once were.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 22 Aug 2021, 9:28 am

Just do it lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2021, 9:42 am

straightshooter wrote:I have a 9.3x74R which has comparable ballistics to a 9.3x62.
Over the years I have tried RWS T Mantle (plenty of lead showing), Lapua Mega, PPU in 286 grain and Speer 270 grain all on central NSW pigs.
There is not a lot to choose between them as they all produce a decent exit hole even when the shot is mostly north south in the animal.
Most shots were in the 50 to 100 meter ranges where these days I would prefer to use a 44 mag with 180 grain projectiles although I would not trust those on a north south shot at other than a close range.
The RWS T Mantle might not be a good choice on something like buffalo.
My preference was PPU due to price and adequate performance but they are unobtainable now so my second choice would be Speer although there are now more US manufacturers these days which I haven't tried.
I am now in the throes of indecision about progressing with a build of a 9.3x57 lightweight on a small ring mauser. Shoulder busters aren't quite the fun they once were.

the 9.3x57 you're thinking of , is very close to the 358win i already own . i'm thinking that a proper "big game" rifle in the safe is desirable . the 358 is good , but not in the same level as the 9.3x62
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2021, 9:43 am

bigpete wrote:Just do it lol

awww big pete , just stop it :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 22 Aug 2021, 11:49 am

PPU makes a good 9.3x62 286gr ammo. My brother used this stuff with success on Buff, RWS TUG's also.

I've only shot a few pigs with the Nosler 250gr Accubonds and they flatten em. I shot a heap of Donkeys and Horses with 293gr TUG and they were probably a little too tuff. If I was loading these days for lighter stuff Id probably load some like the 250 Accubond or 270gr Speer Hot Cor. :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 22 Aug 2021, 11:56 am

Mate of mine has one.
Flattens Fallow.
If you are looking at bullet choice just get a 458 or 35 Whelan.
More bullets than you can poke a stick at for velocities of 800fps and up!

Reality is you dont need a lot of different bullets but you do need the right 1.
Honestly wouldn't mind a 9.3 myself. Would sit well between the 7mm mag and 500J
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2021, 1:07 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Mate of mine has one.
Flattens Fallow.
If you are looking at bullet choice just get a 458 or 35 Whelan.
More bullets than you can poke a stick at for velocities of 800fps and up!

Reality is you dont need a lot of different bullets but you do need the right 1.
Honestly wouldn't mind a 9.3 myself. Would sit well between the 7mm mag and 500J

towards the top of my collection , i've got a 270 (which in reality will do all for me ), then the 358 win , good caliber, plenty of punch for dam jumping ,
but my 45-70 GBL marlin is more suited to this than the 358 bolt gun . 9.3x62 has more reach than 358 and is closer to being a true big game rifle . i've thought about building up a whelen , but i'm sick of the looooong wait on gunsmiths and/or barrels . i'd rather just buy stuff off the shelf these days

i was thinking woodleigh round nose 250 grain would be a good bullet for lighter game in the 9.3x62 :unknown: . 35 cal is well catered for with medium game bullets compared to 9.3 that's for sure .

ahhh, decisions, decisions :roll: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 22 Aug 2021, 3:09 pm

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:Just do it lol

awww big pete , just stop it :lol:

You know you want to !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 22 Aug 2021, 5:39 pm

Barnes TSX did a 250gn. Not sure they still do
TSX would be devastating!
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 9.3x64 » 22 Aug 2021, 7:24 pm

I have been using the 62 & 64 for many years in Australia on pigs. For the 62 I have mainly used the GECO 255 grain express. It’s always been decisive.
It’s a superb cartridge and very balanced, much more than the 64 in my experience. It’s used on smaller game in Europe with the right bullet.
The 270 Speer would be a good choice on pigs,, and not to expensive.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 22 Aug 2021, 7:52 pm

good advice fellas. how do you reckon this cartridge would go on buff or camels ? anyone got any experience on these ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 22 Aug 2021, 7:56 pm

bigrich wrote:good advice fellas. how do you reckon this cartridge would go on buff or camels ? anyone got any experience on these ?

Place the bullet right and no worries.
Not tried but it will do the job. No question
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 9.3x64 » 22 Aug 2021, 8:06 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
bigrich wrote:good advice fellas. how do you reckon this cartridge would go on buff or camels ? anyone got any experience on these ?

Place the bullet right and no worries.
Not tried but it will do the job. No question

Absolutely, I don’t know a more versatile cartridge.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2021, 9:37 pm

9.3x64 wrote:I have been using the 62 & 64 for many years in Australia on pigs. For the 62 I have mainly used the GECO 255 grain express. It’s always been decisive.
It’s a superb cartridge and very balanced, much more than the 64 in my experience. It’s used on smaller game in Europe with the right bullet.

Are you really buying factory ammo to shoot pigs with these? Aren't they like $3-$5 a shot?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 22 Aug 2021, 9:54 pm

bladeracer wrote:
9.3x64 wrote:I have been using the 62 & 64 for many years in Australia on pigs. For the 62 I have mainly used the GECO 255 grain express. It’s always been decisive.

Are you really buying factory ammo to shoot pigs with these? Aren't they like $3-$5 a shot?

Still cheaper than a can of XXXX at the bar :drinks:

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 23 Aug 2021, 4:38 am

Bill wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Still cheaper than a can of XXXX at the bar :drinks:

XXXX ? I’m a Queenslander but I wouldn’t use that stuff to degrease car parts ;)
$3-$5 a shot isn’t my idea of fun either. I hand load for all my rifles. 9.3x62 uses all the common ADI powder I already have, which is a plus
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 23 Aug 2021, 5:23 am

bladeracer wrote:

I bought a s**t load years ago, GECO was not always expensive. In fact it was bloody cheap.
I would be lucky to shoot 50 pigs a year, two boxes of ammo. Big deal... :lol:
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 23 Aug 2021, 11:43 am

9.3x64 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I bought a s**t load years ago, GECO was not always expensive. In fact it was bloody cheap.

Geco was the best value for money cartridges, especially in the german cals such as 9.3. When Forbes lost the contract you could buy bucket loads of it cheap in Melbourne.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 23 Aug 2021, 12:19 pm

Reality is it is no dearer then many calibres if you use factory ammo.
What is 45-70 these days? Or anything not PPU or similar?

Having said that I cast and reload so can do just about anything at well under $1 a shot.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 9.3x64 » 23 Aug 2021, 1:04 pm

mchughcb wrote:
9.3x64 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Geco was the best value for money cartridges, especially in the german cals such as 9.3. When Forbes lost the contract you could buy bucket loads of it cheap in Melbourne.

Yes, those were the days.
Great brass to keep for the future too.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2021, 2:41 pm

LawrenceA wrote:Reality is it is no dearer then many calibres if you use factory ammo.

Having said that I cast and reload so can do just about anything at well under $1 a shot.

It just seems exorbitant to use such an expensive munition on pigs, when you could use cheap .308 for example.
But his situation makes sense if he already has plenty of it and only shoots a few dozen a year.
Definitely, cast bullets in the heavier calibers are great.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Aug 2021, 4:24 pm

okay , update . looking into a sako 85 hunter . i was looking into a bavarian stocked sako , but the poor bugger is in sydney and can't get out to sort out the transport :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 24 Aug 2021, 12:12 pm

bigrich wrote:okay , update . looking into a sako 85 hunter . i was looking into a bavarian stocked sako , but the poor bugger is in sydney and can't get out to sort out the transport :roll:

That will be a nice rifle.
The stalker stock may be better than the Bavarian, in terms of felt recoil.
Good luck.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 24 Aug 2021, 12:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
LawrenceA wrote:Reality is it is no dearer then many calibres if you use factory ammo.

It just seems exorbitant to use such an expensive munition on pigs, when you could use cheap .308 for example.
But his situation makes sense if he already has plenty of it and only shoots a few dozen a year.

Yes your absolutely right, there are much cheaper and more practical options, and I totally agree with your thinking.
I guess what I should have mentioned is that, I often shoot pigs just to try / use different rifles. I also sometimes go pig shooting with a 1910 Sauer in 10.75x68 Mauser, a 470NE double, or a 500 Jeffery. I guess I just love using these calibers sometimes in the paddock, and shooting pigs is an easily accessible way to do it. :D
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 24 Aug 2021, 12:30 pm

9.3x64 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yes your absolutely right, there are much cheaper and more practical options, and I totally agree with your thinking.
I guess what I should have mentioned is that, I often shoot pigs just to try / use different rifles. I also sometimes go pig shooting with a 1910 Sauer in 10.75x68 Mauser, a 470NE double, or a 500 Jeffery. I guess I just love using these calibers sometimes in the paddock, and shooting pigs is an easily accessible way to do it. :D

So very true.
Popping pigs with a 500j just has a certain appeal and most rewarding. Wish I had your selection (as well as my own).
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 9.3x64 » 24 Aug 2021, 12:40 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
9.3x64 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

So very true.
Popping pigs with a 500j just has a certain appeal and most rewarding. Wish I had your selection (as well as my own).

Yes, it’s a lot of fun.
The 500 Jeffery is an absolute hoot to shoot, even if you miss it still makes you smile.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2021, 1:31 pm

9.3x64 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

That sounds like an awesome day out, regardless of the cost :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Aug 2021, 5:48 pm

well fellas, i got my 9.3x62 sako 85 . i contacted the fella and it sounded good . only fired 10 shots and it comes with a loopy 1.5-5 VX-3 . with optilock mounts

so the guy sends me pics . i notice something in the pics . i check berreta's website . blow me down it's a sako classic deluxe with the rosewood tip , fluted barrel and barrel band sling attachment :o retail $6399! :wtf: :shock: :crazy:

PTA went through , picked it up this afternoon . little grubby , but should clean up really nice

paid the fella his coin , $2800 :P and he was kind enough to give me 70 rounds of 291 grain RWS ammo ....... :D :drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

i'm one happy camper :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 27 Aug 2021, 6:56 pm

Damn thats alot of value bigrich, be interested to hear how it shoots :drinks:

Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics