6x47 opinions

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by Bill » 19 Sep 2021, 4:21 pm

mates run a 25 Sharps for work, 75gr at 3170fps. 87gr at 2990fps, Tikka M55.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
User avatar
Bill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1151
New South Wales

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigpete » 19 Sep 2021, 7:09 pm

bigpete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2280
South Australia

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigrich » 19 Sep 2021, 7:41 pm

interesting link bigpete . uses standard mags too . hmmmm
User avatar
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3652
Queensland

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by solarpak » 22 Sep 2021, 8:18 pm

Bill wrote:what action are you going to use bigrich, detachable mag or floor plate ?

I think the 6mm's are going thru a renewed appreciation as we lean away from the common as muck 223 :thumbsup:



Bill,
is muck is good :D

Give me the plain Jane, vanilla calibres anyday ........223, 243, 270, 308. 30-06......... not too say i havent shot exotics (like the 7x57 et al.....)
As long as the little projectile end ups where i want thats what its all about - and its goodnight dick!

But the 6x47 is a sweet calibre

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 308
South Australia

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigrich » 12 Oct 2021, 4:50 am

Okay fellas, I’m committed to this project now. Ordered a 1-8 twist 6mm IBI barrel from the big C last night and a set of 6x45 dies on back order from brownell’s oz. thinking this will be a simple conversation on my t3 laminate tikka, but I’m considering a weatherby/howa for a donor rifle too . Single stack tikka should feed well.
User avatar
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3652
Queensland

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigpete » 12 Oct 2021, 7:21 am

I thought you may have bought the 6x47 Remington that was up for sale on used guns
bigpete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2280
South Australia

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigrich » 12 Oct 2021, 8:50 am

bigpete wrote:I thought you may have bought the 6x47 Remington that was up for sale on used guns


No Pete, I like the idea of limitless cheap brass for the 6x45 . I’m not all about velocity with this idea. 87-95 gn projectiles at moderate speed with good accuracy, less barrel heat and long barrel life are the goals. This will probably get more use for field rifle comps at my local range than out in the paddock. I don’t really do any culling work, but I think this caliber will be handy as a general purpose round within its limits
User avatar
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3652
Queensland

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by deye243 » 12 Oct 2021, 12:53 pm

Rich good on you I have been hearing a lot of very good things about those IBI barrels who's the gunsmith you are getting to chamber the barrel.
User avatar
deye243
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1405
Victoria

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by johnboy357 » 12 Oct 2021, 1:00 pm

Don't forget your history guys - the .222 necked up to 6mm was done many years ago (1958 ?) by a gunsmith by the name of Arthur Langford (from Broken Hill I believe) - called at the time the 243 Myra - named after the guys wife - Myra. He also had a 250 Myra and I think a .308 Myra - all based on the .222 case. Then for the Martini Cadet owners he did a Rimmed version base on the .222 Rimmed case.
Many thought he was a bit before his time as he also came up with the Myra Extruder - a .22LR fired through a .17 or.20 cal barrel.
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 34
Queensland

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigpete » 12 Oct 2021, 1:33 pm

johnboy357 wrote:Don't forget your history guys - the .222 necked up to 6mm was done many years ago (1958 ?) by a gunsmith by the name of Arthur Langford (from Broken Hill I believe) - called at the time the 243 Myra - named after the guys wife - Myra. He also had a 250 Myra and I think a .308 Myra - all based on the .222 case. Then for the Martini Cadet owners he did a Rimmed version base on the .222 Rimmed case.
Many thought he was a bit before his time as he also came up with the Myra Extruder - a .22LR fired through a .17 or.20 cal barrel.


He also came up with at least 2 variants of what is now the 17hmr.....none of which really has that much to do with bigrich and his 6x45....
bigpete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2280
South Australia

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigrich » 12 Oct 2021, 4:11 pm

deye243 wrote:Rich good on you I have been hearing a lot of very good things about those IBI barrels who's the gunsmith you are getting to chamber the barrel.


jim kent , buffallo gunsmithing at toowoomba . i'll wait till my dies turn up , and take the whole lot to him . most smiths use a 223 reamer , then bore the neck with a 6mm neck reamer . apparently ;) . i'm sure he can manage . he's done a few jobs for me and everything has been spot on :thumbsup:
thanks for your advice on this caliber mate , as stated earlier it'll be mostly used for comps shooting high BC projectiles . i made up a dummy round last night with a 243 neck sizing die and a 95 sst . it looks like a mini creedmore , sorta-kinda :D my waterman magazine will accomodate 3.4" COAL , and he also does T3 mags at 3.6" as well . it should make for a seriously accurate rifle , i'll be curious to see how it goes over 200-300 yards . i'm getting a medium sporter profile barrel , but the first two or three shots are the ones that count :D
i got the same barrel on my model 70 243 and it can shoot pretty good . it was warm last weekend , and groups opened up . i'm thinking i might tweak my load as the barrel has worn in a bit more . i might try some reloader 22 . it burns dirtier than 2209 , but gave better accuracy with heavies in my last 243 barrel . it's my go to powder for 270 win and 6.5 swede as well . 35 gn of 2208 gave me .3' at 100 with 87 vmax last time i loaded those in the IBI 243

reloading for rifles , ya just never quite done :lol:
User avatar
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3652
Queensland

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigrich » 12 Oct 2021, 4:13 pm

bigpete wrote:
johnboy357 wrote:Don't forget your history guys - the .222 necked up to 6mm was done many years ago (1958 ?) by a gunsmith by the name of Arthur Langford (from Broken Hill I believe) - called at the time the 243 Myra - named after the guys wife - Myra. He also had a 250 Myra and I think a .308 Myra - all based on the .222 case. Then for the Martini Cadet owners he did a Rimmed version base on the .222 Rimmed case.
Many thought he was a bit before his time as he also came up with the Myra Extruder - a .22LR fired through a .17 or.20 cal barrel.


He also came up with at least 2 variants of what is now the 17hmr.....none of which really has that much to do with bigrich and his 6x45....


thats OK , i'm a history buff and ya never stop learnin' :thumbsup:
User avatar
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3652
Queensland

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by deye243 » 12 Oct 2021, 7:43 pm

bigrich wrote:
deye243 wrote:Rich good on you I have been hearing a lot of very good things about those IBI barrels who's the gunsmith you are getting to chamber the barrel.


jim kent , buffallo gunsmithing at toowoomba . i'll wait till my dies turn up , and take the whole lot to him . most smiths use a 223 reamer , then bore the neck with a 6mm neck reamer . apparently ;) . i'm sure he can manage . he's done a few jobs for me and everything has been spot on :thumbsup:
thanks for your advice on this caliber mate , as stated earlier it'll be mostly used for comps shooting high BC projectiles . i made up a dummy round last night with a 243 neck sizing die and a 95 sst . it looks like a mini creedmore , sorta-kinda :D my waterman magazine will accomodate 3.4" COAL , and he also does T3 mags at 3.6" as well . it should make for a seriously accurate rifle , i'll be curious to see how it goes over 200-300 yards . i'm getting a medium sporter profile barrel , but the first two or three shots are the ones that count :D
i got the same barrel on my model 70 243 and it can shoot pretty good . it was warm last weekend , and groups opened up . i'm thinking i might tweak my load as the barrel has worn in a bit more . i might try some reloader 22 . it burns dirtier than 2209 , but gave better accuracy with heavies in my last 243 barrel . it's my go to powder for 270 win and 6.5 swede as well . 35 gn of 2208 gave me .3' at 100 with 87 vmax last time i loaded those in the IBI 243

reloading for rifles , ya just never quite done :lol:

Yes that's what most smiths do but there is one problem with that excessive neck clearance mine had 0.013" the rifle was capable of a lot better accuracy but not with that much Clearance
The 6MM cartridges neck wall thickness is a lot thicker than a 223 especially after it is necked up just one thing to keep in mind.
User avatar
deye243
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1405
Victoria

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 4:23 am

Yup, I get ya. The free bore is also something to consider. I’ll have to check projectile length to neck length when seated. I’ve necked up 308 to 358 and got excellent accuracy. I was concerned about thinning the neck wall , but it seems to work fine. If I’m lucky my smith might be able to loan a reamer from another well known smith/ barrel maker he sometimes does work for
User avatar
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3652
Queensland

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigpete » 13 Oct 2021, 6:04 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:
johnboy357 wrote:Don't forget your history guys - the .222 necked up to 6mm was done many years ago (1958 ?) by a gunsmith by the name of Arthur Langford (from Broken Hill I believe) - called at the time the 243 Myra - named after the guys wife - Myra. He also had a 250 Myra and I think a .308 Myra - all based on the .222 case. Then for the Martini Cadet owners he did a Rimmed version base on the .222 Rimmed case.
Many thought he was a bit before his time as he also came up with the Myra Extruder - a .22LR fired through a .17 or.20 cal barrel.


He also came up with at least 2 variants of what is now the 17hmr.....none of which really has that much to do with bigrich and his 6x45....


thats OK , i'm a history buff and ya never stop learnin' :thumbsup:


You might be interested to know,my local gunsmith makes extruder barrels....
bigpete
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2280
South Australia

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by Larry » 13 Oct 2021, 7:34 am

I get a little confused reading this thread as it jumps between 6*47 and 6*45 a couple of times. The 6*47 is in common use in F open competition so Bigrich I think it will suit your comp needs. In Fopen it is used out to 1000yrds but is most accurate out to 600 yrds after that there is some complaints that it gets knocked around by the wind a bit more than the hotter 7mm SAUM.
Larry
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 379
-

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by deye243 » 13 Oct 2021, 12:20 pm

Larry wrote:I get a little confused reading this thread as it jumps between 6*47 and 6*45 a couple of times. The 6*47 is in common use in F open competition so Bigrich I think it will suit your comp needs. In Fopen it is used out to 1000yrds but is most accurate out to 600 yrds after that there is some complaints that it gets knocked around by the wind a bit more than the hotter 7mm SAUM.

Nope you are confusing the 6x47L we are talking about the original 6x47 which is a 222 Remington Magnum case necked up to 6 mm
User avatar
deye243
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1405
Victoria

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 12:22 pm

Larry wrote:I get a little confused reading this thread as it jumps between 6*47 and 6*45 a couple of times. The 6*47 is in common use in F open competition so Bigrich I think it will suit your comp needs. In Fopen it is used out to 1000yrds but is most accurate out to 600 yrds after that there is some complaints that it gets knocked around by the wind a bit more than the hotter 7mm SAUM.


My “comp” is field rifle and it’s very casual. I’m just looking for a excuse to build another rifle... :P
6x47 requires a 222mag length action which are rare. The 6x47 would require magazine mods more extensive than the 6x45. Yeah, I know it’s not much difference in COL , but sometimes that’s enough for feed problems. Making 6x45 brass is just about free, rather than looking for 222mag or 204 brass.
Yes, I know the title of this topic is “6x47 opinions “, but I changed my mind..... :lol:
User avatar
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3652
Queensland

Re: 6x47 opinions

Post by bigrich » 13 Oct 2021, 12:26 pm

deye243 wrote:
Larry wrote:I get a little confused reading this thread as it jumps between 6*47 and 6*45 a couple of times. The 6*47 is in common use in F open competition so Bigrich I think it will suit your comp needs. In Fopen it is used out to 1000yrds but is most accurate out to 600 yrds after that there is some complaints that it gets knocked around by the wind a bit more than the hotter 7mm SAUM.

Nope you are confusing the 6x47L we are talking about the original 6x47 which is a 222 Remington Magnum case necked up to 6 mm


Ahh, yes . The lapua cartridge. Forgot about this one. I’m not too bad, but I don’t have the inclination to do F class. Some fellas seem too serious about it . My comp is a social and fun thing that I do
User avatar
bigrich
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 3652
Queensland

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics