A bit outdated nowadays ?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

A bit outdated nowadays ?

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Oct 2021, 4:10 pm

Surely in current times with advances being made in Ammo performances,,,,,,,,
Don't you think that the label / term .22 LR is due for a change to maybe ".22 SR Plinkster" :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: A bit outdated nowadays ?

Post by Bugman » 07 Oct 2021, 4:13 pm

Probably along the same lines as Resident Stationary Engineer = Janitor. The old 22 is the same old same old.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Oct 2021, 4:21 pm

The "old" 22 is in fact only 1 of several "old" 22's I shoot, so a distiguishing title is still very valid. Ever try hammering a 22LR into a 22 Short chamber? Excitement +.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 07 Oct 2021, 5:18 pm

Just let sleeping dogs lie and what's the other one if it ain't broke don't try and fix it.

And is aint broke
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 07 Oct 2021, 6:00 pm

Iv been waiting patiently for some advancements in .22lr ammo, they must have peak tuned the projectiles BC. speed and weight long ago :unknown:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wyliecoyote » 07 Oct 2021, 7:40 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Iv been waiting patiently for some advancements in .22lr ammo, they must have peak tuned the projectiles BC. speed and weight long ago :unknown:

Some may recall the Federal Match ammo, 900A, 900B, then 1000A and 1000B Ultramatch that was produced specifically for the 1996 US Olympic shooting team. Long discontinued and sorely missed by many. What wasn't well known that at the same time Federal was trialling ammo that was capable of consistently holding half MOA at 100 yards and did so at a time long before barrel tuners were commonplace. Subsonic velocity, a somewhat harder lead slug than in the previous line of match ammo, same mica dry lubricant. What was different was the powder and load density and more attention to crimp tension from bullet to bullet.
For a number of years BR shooters were aware of primer flash over and its affect on velocity ES. A number of actions including a couple of my own used multiple firing pins, up to four, 6 o'clock positioned firing pins and even ED ignition systems to try and improve ammo ES. For me the jury is still out on whether or not multiple firing pins were of any benefit other than illiminating misfires from poorly primed ammo, which coincidentally Federal had solved by the dimple base and spinning the compund into the rim.
What Federal did was basically look to data of centerfire ammo. Best performance in many cartridges was achieved by 90 to 95% load density. So a new proprietary powder was developed to fill the 22LR case when a bullet was seated, illiminating any possibilty of flash over no matter what angle the chamber was at.
All was good other than the cost which would have been around double that of their premium Ultramatch. So it never went beyond the trial stage and has long been shelved. It is possible to manufacture 22LR ammo to a high precision but the line is where to stop before the cost of manufacture exceeds what the consumer will pay.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Oct 2021, 7:50 pm

Wyliecoyote wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Iv been waiting patiently for some advancements in .22lr ammo, they must have peak tuned the projectiles BC. speed and weight long ago :unknown:

Some may recall the Federal Match ammo, 900A, 900B, then 1000A and 1000B Ultramatch that was produced specifically for the 1996 US Olympic shooting team. Long discontinued and sorely missed by many. What wasn't well known that at the same time Federal was trialling ammo that was capable of consistently holding half MOA at 100 yards and did so at a time long before barrel tuners were commonplace. Subsonic velocity, a somewhat harder lead slug than in the previous line of match ammo, same mica dry lubricant. What was different was the powder and load density and more attention to crimp tension from bullet to bullet.
For a number of years BR shooters were aware of primer flash over and its affect on velocity ES. A number of actions including a couple of my own used multiple firing pins, up to four, 6 o'clock positioned firing pins and even ED ignition systems to try and improve ammo ES. For me the jury is still out on whether or not multiple firing pins were of any benefit other than illiminating misfires from poorly primed ammo, which coincidentally Federal had solved by the dimple base and spinning the compund into the rim.
What Federal did was basically look to data of centerfire ammo. Best performance in many cartridges was achieved by 90 to 95% load density. So a new proprietary powder was developed to fill the 22LR case when a bullet was seated, illiminating any possibilty of flash over no matter what angle the chamber was at.
All was good other than the cost which would have been around double that of their premium Ultramatch. So it never went beyond the trial stage and has long been shelved. It is possible to manufacture 22LR ammo to a high precision but the line is where to stop before the cost of manufacture exceeds what the consumer will pay.

Very interesting
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Oct 2021, 8:16 pm

Wyliecoyote wrote:For a number of years BR shooters were aware of primer flash over and its affect on velocity ES. A number of actions including a couple of my own used multiple firing pins, up to four, 6 o'clock positioned firing pins and even ED ignition systems to try and improve ammo ES. For me the jury is still out on whether or not multiple firing pins were of any benefit other than illiminating misfires from poorly primed ammo, which coincidentally Federal had solved by the dimple base and spinning the compund into the rim.

Gevarm must have been on the right track then,,,,, when they made their semi auto's.
They never had a firing pin at all.
The face of the bolt which fired from the open breech position slid forward,, feeding a round out of the magazine,, and into the chamber,, was machined into what can only be described as the cutting edge of a cold chisel.
It did both sides of the cartridge rim in one action, and the empty cases look just like a cold chisel had been hammered into the case.
In all the time I owned one I never ever had a misfire.
If anyone is interested I can put some explanatory pics up.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by boingk » 07 Oct 2021, 9:33 pm

The Universal Truth wrote:the line is where to stop before the cost of manufacture exceeds what the consumer will pay.

Boom, mic drop.

I think we're done here.

Basically summed up capitalism, consumerism and the larger barter and trade system in that last sentence there.

Beyond a certain price some things just aren't worth paying for.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigrich » 08 Oct 2021, 4:41 am

Myself, I think 22lr is affordable for lots of shooting pleasure, accurate enough for the small game it’s intended for. However, I would like to see a higher grade of ammo for the 22mag . I can get 1 1/4” to 3/4” out of my weihrauch. Reading a earlier post about the accuracy potential of 22lr with more precision from the assembly line was interesting. 22mag has more reach and is worthy of refined accuracy. Cause I hate trying to load little 35gn projectiles into 22 hornet cases..... :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 08 Oct 2021, 12:58 pm

22lr is fun and cheap for pistols as it is easy to shoot 500-1000 rounds in a session at the cost of only around $100..
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 08 Oct 2021, 6:31 pm

Bought some "rebadged" CCI ammo, brought out to commemorate Rugers 70 year anniversary or something. Same loads as CCI standard velocity. At the time of purchase, they had no CCI standard velocity in stock. Wonder if the new fancy box will help to shoot more accurately? :huh:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by jh458 » 14 Sep 2022, 4:43 am

Iv been waiting patiently for some advancements in .22lr ammo, they must have peak tuned the projectiles BC. speed and weight long ago :unknown:

check out the offerings of 22lr by cutting edge bullets
jh458
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics