7-08 rem opinions

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Re: 7-08 rem opinions

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2021, 11:58 am

just a report on the tikka 7-08 , finally finished load testing . i picked 145 speer flat base soft points and 150 nosler bt's based on terminal performance reports from nathan foster's website . the 145 speer don't group that well , just under 1 MOA with 2209 being slightly better than 2208 . the nosler bt's went .75" at 100 with 41gn of 2208 , which is more than acceptable for a general purpose hunting rifle . 2209 went better , .4" with 45gn of 2209 , which is on the edge of being a compressed load and going by load data , is slightly slower than 2208 . the upside to going with noslers is i can probably substitute the stouter accubonds for the bt's and not have to fiddle with my load specs as the weight and dimensions are same . if i can get 120 vmax's to shoot well, fast and flat , my 243's days might be numbered .
i fitted this rifle in a bell and carlson stock , and POI is extremely consistant beetween different loads . fits me well too . i had to do a bit of work with the inletting on my t3 223, it was very sensative to action screw tension . i've now got it shooting .3's with FLS ADI brass and 55 vmax :D

a good result today . makes up for the fact i left my 243 reloads at home on the kitchen bench..... :roll: . had to get this stuff sorted as i'm off out to the roma reigion around xmas , floods and COVID permitting :crazy:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 19 Dec 2021, 1:20 pm

bigrich wrote:seeing as how they're at similar velocity's , and feedback on bullet performance from 7x57 shooters would be appreciated too :thumbsup:

I use a 7x57R in my combo gun. I've shot everything from rabbits to Sambar. I use the 175gr Hornady Interlock with 45grains of 2209 for 2400fps in a 24" barrel. I found performance to be very good. Here is the projectile through a fallow at 120m. I also have a bunch of Woodleigh 175gr PP. They are sighted in for 200m.

I have tried the smaller projectiles around the 140gr but they weren't as consistent in the accuracy. I have been using the same load for 10 years.
Attachments
P6172107 (Large).jpeg
P6172107 (Large).jpeg (539.56 KiB) Viewed 5198 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2021, 3:59 pm

mchughcb wrote:
bigrich wrote:seeing as how they're at similar velocity's , and feedback on bullet performance from 7x57 shooters would be appreciated too :thumbsup:

I use a 7x57R in my combo gun. I've shot everything from rabbits to Sambar. I use the 175gr Hornady Interlock with 45grains of 2209 for 2400fps in a 24" barrel. I found performance to be very good. Here is the projectile through a fallow at 120m. I also have a bunch of Woodleigh 175gr PP. They are sighted in for 200m.

I have tried the smaller projectiles around the 140gr but they weren't as consistent in the accuracy. I have been using the same load for 10 years.

your place for a roast hey ? :P i reckon you've got a twist suited to heavies . 7x57 has the runs on the board , that's for sure . i'd probably run out of case capacity on much over 160gn :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Dec 2021, 4:16 pm

Good results rich. Fine shooting too. Now that rifle is sorted Hoping mr oricom don’t stop u from getting away ,,,, my creek crossing here has become useable for probably a week now. Can’t see road crossing floods messing u around ....it warm out here . If u are not goin to b in quarters , I strongly recommend a genny , a fan or portable air con , and extensive mozzie planning eg big open mesh tents, coils, mozzie zappers , good repellent , the mozzies and sandflies out here are the nastiest brutal bunch I have ever encountered in more than 30 yrs of Bush travel ...when so mush of cent qld has had so much rain the insects have bred up thick and strong they truly are in the zillions ....I seen shops out here with no insect management product s .( all the locals have bought up the stock) And yesterday at the st George hospital I saw parents bringing in their kids because of multiple insect bites.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 19 Dec 2021, 7:16 pm

bigrich wrote:
mchughcb wrote:

your place for a roast hey ? :P i reckon you've got a twist suited to heavies . 7x57 has the runs on the board , that's for sure . i'd probably run out of case capacity on much over 160gn :thumbsup:

The rimmed cartridges can have the projectiles seated right out and still not get close to the lands. 45 grains of 2209 is pretty maxed out as far as capacity goes. I like the cartridge as it doesn't boot and will still drop big deer like sambar. 200m is plenty for me for goats and pigs and the 175gr is darn reliable.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 Dec 2021, 9:37 pm

Blr243 wrote:Good results rich. Fine shooting too. Now that rifle is sorted Hoping mr oricom don’t stop u from getting away ,,,, my creek crossing here has become useable for probably a week now. Can’t see road crossing floods messing u around ....it warm out here . If u are not goin to b in quarters , I strongly recommend a genny , a fan or portable air con , and extensive mozzie planning eg big open mesh tents, coils, mozzie zappers , good repellent , the mozzies and sandflies out here are the nastiest brutal bunch I have ever encountered in more than 30 yrs of Bush travel ...when so mush of cent qld has had so much rain the insects have bred up thick and strong they truly are in the zillions ....I seen shops out here with no insect management product s .( all the locals have bought up the stock) And yesterday at the st George hospital I saw parents bringing in their kids because of multiple insect bites.

i'll be on a property between st george and roma basically . i'll take plenty of bushmans , and i've got accomidation . even air con i think :D long sleeves and pants as well i think in case of the bugs :P been watching the "elders" weather forecast . looks good so far . just hoping i get onto some pigs to see how the 150 noslers go . probably take the 22mag weihrauch and see if i can get some rabbits/foxes/cats and such :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 20 Dec 2021, 9:12 am

If you are relatively new to thermal it would b worth practicing with the settings in relation to heat / this time iof year their will be a few warm logs , anthills etc ......rocky country is the worst offender ,,,for the first couple of hours after dark is by far the worst then gradually as evething cools down the concrete troughs and rocks at a distance become less obvious and cause less fake initial excitement ,this time last year I was between st g and Surat. Found pigs twice. Saw a dingo shot couple of cats , got caught in a wild freak storm ripped my tarp and flung my gear across the paddock , I sat in soaked clothing foe a few hours ...
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 20 Dec 2021, 8:51 pm

I quite like my 7.62-08.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2021, 4:37 am

bigpete wrote:I quite like my 7.62-08.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good on ya Pete. 7-08 shoots flatter and faster with 120 and 140 than a 7.62-08, not much slower than 270 Winchester for a lot less powder.
308 works, but it’s too “vanilla “ for me mate :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2021, 4:43 am

Blr243 wrote:If you are relatively new to thermal it would b worth practicing with the settings in relation to heat / this time iof year their will be a few warm logs , anthills etc ......rocky country is the worst offender ,,,for the first couple of hours after dark is by far the worst then gradually as evething cools down the concrete troughs and rocks at a distance become less obvious and cause less fake initial excitement ,this time last year I was between st g and Surat. Found pigs twice. Saw a dingo shot couple of cats , got caught in a wild freak storm ripped my tarp and flung my gear across the paddock , I sat in soaked clothing foe a few hours ...

Not really into thermal scopes at the moment. I know what you mean about freak storm, got caught in one out at Bollon. The real fun part was the top inch of fine powdered soil turned to slush on a hard soil underneath. Like a mud version of black ice. I had to use all my bogan super skills from 30 years of driving v8 powered stuff sideways, to stay on track.
Looking back it was lots of fun :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2021, 4:49 am

mchughcb wrote:
bigrich wrote:
mchughcb wrote:

The rimmed cartridges can have the projectiles seated right out and still not get close to the lands. 45 grains of 2209 is pretty maxed out as far as capacity goes. I like the cartridge as it doesn't boot and will still drop big deer like sambar. 200m is plenty for me for goats and pigs and the 175gr is darn reliable.

I have a mate who converted a 303 Enfield to run 7x57 rimmed, he likes it . With heavy projectiles the 7x57 has high sectional density. For low velocity it kills well. Some of the old calibers just work. It’s why I’m fixing up a old 30-06 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2021, 5:44 am

bigrich wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good on ya Pete. 7-08 shoots flatter and faster with 120 and 140 than a 7.62-08, not much slower than 270 Winchester for a lot less powder.

There's a bees dick difference between the 3. 100% of animals can't tell the difference. I know,coz I asked this bloke the other day
Screenshot_20211219-223328_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211219-223328_Gallery.jpg (616.88 KiB) Viewed 5113 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2021, 5:46 am

bigrich wrote:

Whats wrong with vanilla ? Its popular for a reason lol. I love vanilla everywhere except the bedroom.... ;) :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2021, 5:51 am

bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Whats wrong with vanilla ? Its popular for a reason lol. I love vanilla everywhere except the bedroom.... ;) :D

C’mon Pete, this is a family forum :lol: not one of those swingers forums
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2021, 6:09 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:

C’mon Pete, this is a family forum :lol: not one of those swingers forums

No swinging here mate, not in that sense lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2021, 6:17 am

I must admit to having a soft spot for the old 308. In the 23 years I've had a firearms licence,I've owned 45+ different firearms,and the one constant is that I've always had a 308 in the safe. They've always just worked and shot well with a variety of projectile weights and been easy to feed.
Mind you I suspect 35 whelen might just find a similar niche in my safe for similar reasons....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2021, 8:14 am

bigpete wrote:I must admit to having a soft spot for the old 308. In the 23 years I've had a firearms licence,I've owned 45+ different firearms,and the one constant is that I've always had a 308 in the safe. They've always just worked and shot well with a variety of projectile weights and been easy to feed.
Mind you I suspect 35 whelen might just find a similar niche in my safe for similar reasons....

Nothing wrong with a 308 Pete, I just like s**t that’s fun to stuff around with from a technical point. Hand loaded my 7-08 from new . Factory ammo isn’t cheap. Truth of the matter is 243 could probably handle most of what I’ve come across so far
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 21 Dec 2021, 8:38 am

Rich. Regarding my thermal comment. , I’m confusing u with another bloke on another forum . My similar red dirt slippery experience was over 30 yrs ago as well. It’s an experience u never forget
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2021, 8:50 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:I must admit to having a soft spot for the old 308. In the 23 years I've had a firearms licence,I've owned 45+ different firearms,and the one constant is that I've always had a 308 in the safe. They've always just worked and shot well with a variety of projectile weights and been easy to feed.

Nothing wrong with a 308 Pete, I just like s**t that’s fun to stuff around with from a technical point. Hand loaded my 7-08 from new . Factory ammo isn’t cheap. Truth of the matter is 243 could probably handle most of what I’ve come across so far

Wait till you start loading 45-70 ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2021, 9:10 am

bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Already doing that Pete. 300 gn are probably all I need. I’ve tried 350 hornady and 400 Speer. The heavies get stout with recoil, but I like 300gn cause they shoot flatter
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Dec 2021, 9:11 am

Blr243 wrote:Rich. Regarding my thermal comment. , I’m confusing u with another bloke on another forum . My similar red dirt slippery experience was over 30 yrs ago as well. It’s an experience u never forget

No worries blr. Thermal is something I’m aware of , but I don’t get out often enough at night to justify the cost
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 21 Dec 2021, 9:36 am

bigrich wrote:
bigpete wrote:
bigrich wrote:

Already doing that Pete. 300 gn are probably all I need. I’ve tried 350 hornady and 400 Speer. The heavies get stout with recoil, but I like 300gn cause they shoot flatter

I've loaded bird shot,triple ball,180gn double made from sized 50 cal balls,jacketed from 300 to 350gn,cast leaf from 405 to 570,and homemade jacketed made from 44 mag cases :)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Previous

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics