corbon or doubletap in aus? 90gr 9mm +P ammo?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

corbon or doubletap in aus? 90gr 9mm +P ammo?

Post by brett » 22 Nov 2021, 4:13 pm

does anyone import Corbon brand ammo into aus? or doubletap? im chasing 90gr 9mm +P factory ammo for the flattest trajectory i can get for 9mm. Im assuming reloading is my only option but thought i would ask.
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: corbon or doubletap in aus? 90gr 9mm +P ammo?

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2022, 9:07 am

brett wrote:does anyone import Corbon brand ammo into aus? or doubletap? im chasing 90gr 9mm +P factory ammo for the flattest trajectory i can get for 9mm. Im assuming reloading is my only option but thought i would ask.

Try the 90gn XTP.

Why though?
The 90gn will be around 10" low at 100m with a 50m zero, the 147gn will be about 12" low. If you're shooting 300m it might be significant, if you're only shooting to 50m it's probably not even consistently measurable. You might find a significant point of impact difference though if you don't have adjustable sights.

There could potentially be an advantage to getting the bullet out of the barrel a little quicker, but again, you're only talking perhaps 200fps faster than the heavy bullet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett » 15 May 2022, 10:44 pm

nah mate. corbon push the little 90s at about 1500fps out of a 4" barrel, so faster from a longer. they can push 1750fps from one of the single shot 16" rifles on the market. a 147 never really nudges past the sound barrier on any length barrel. huge difference in trajectory.
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2022, 2:51 pm

brett wrote:nah mate. corbon push the little 90s at about 1500fps out of a 4" barrel, so faster from a longer. they can push 1750fps from one of the single shot 16" rifles on the market. a 147 never really nudges past the sound barrier on any length barrel. huge difference in trajectory.

I was assuming you were shooting it from a pistol as there are very few rifles chambered in 9mm, which do you have?

I just chose the 147gn as the extreme top end to show that there is not very much difference in trajectory even with a sixty-percent heavier bullet.
Comparing the 90gn XTP at 1750fps and the 115gn XTP at 1500fps (a quick Google tells me the Corbon 90gn +P load makes around 1750fps in a 16" barrel, and their 115gn +P load makes about 1500fps in a 16" carbine) puts the heavier bullet one-inch lower at 100m and five-inches lower at 300m - not enough to matter. Both go subsonic right around the 100m mark. A 124gn XTP at 1350fps (estimated - 1400fps might be achievable) would be two-inches lower than the 90gn at 100m and nine-inches lower at 300m compared to the 90gn XTP - still nothing to write home about. Nine-inches more drop is probably a lot less than the group size at 300m. On an 18" gong at 300m you could zero the 90gn bullet in the centre then hold on the top edge with the 124gn bullet, that's how small the difference in trajectory is.

If you're going to use factory ammo you would want to find some that is designed for carbine barrels, but loading your own is still likely to give you better results.

I would still try the 90gn XTP as it is actually available here, if you can find stock of it. If you want the Corbon bullet I think you would have to contact Corbon directly and ask them if they'll sell you a thousand bullets for testing, and do a B709 import for them. Price will be very significant and I doubt there'd be any measurable difference between it and the XTP. Corbon may also be able to tell you if there is an Australian importer already so you might be able to get some ammo instead.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics