handloads and climate tepreature

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

handloads and climate tepreature

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2022, 10:04 am

okay ,i need some reloading advice . i've developed warm hand loads for my 9.3x62 for a upcoming hunt in the northern territory , with day time temps around 33 celcius . i've been shooting my loads around brisbane with temps around the mid to low twenties on a warm rifle that's had a few rounds through it using ar2209 and 2208 powder . no extraction problems or case preasure signs , slight primer flattening . can anyone see a preasure problem with travelling to a warmer climate ? :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: handloads and climate tepreature

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Aug 2022, 10:10 am

Iv never had an issue with hot loads developed in mild temperatures in hot conditions with 08 and 09.

ADI claim to have good tempture stability, I can't dispute it.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 06 Aug 2022, 10:45 am

No, ADI powders, like many other modern military propellants, were specifically developed to overcome variations in climate. They have very good stability over a wide range.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 06 Aug 2022, 1:11 pm

Yes they're temperature coefficients are exceptionally good except for benchmark 1 benchmark 2219 and more than likely 8208 not sure about the last one but the other fine-grained powders temperature coefficiency is not as good .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 06 Aug 2022, 3:36 pm

Loaded plenty of .308, 25/06 and 375 H&H in winter down south and shot them in 45 degree heat. Using 2208 and 2209 never an issue unless you are already redlining them.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2022, 6:28 pm

thanks for the feedback fellas, ya's have put my mind at ease :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 06 Aug 2022, 6:38 pm

I can see some potential because even though ADI powders are the least pressure sensitive there can still be some pressure rise due to extra heat .
If the loads are only warm but not max then it should be ok but I have .223 loads with AR2206 that start popping the primers on a hot summers day out West .
So my advice is keep the loads developed in a cooler climate down a bit to a sensible pressure and that gives you a buffer zone and no problems should emerge .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2022, 8:23 pm

JohnV wrote:I can see some potential because even though ADI powders are the least pressure sensitive there can still be some pressure rise due to extra heat .
If the loads are only warm but not max then it should be ok but I have .223 loads with AR2206 that start popping the primers on a hot summers day out West .
So my advice is keep the loads developed in a cooler climate down a bit to a sensible pressure and that gives you a buffer zone and no problems should emerge .

their at max, but i've seated out 50 thou further than factory col , which should reduce preasure and allow extra powder. i'm using 67gn of 2209 with lapua 285 "mega" projectiles .9.3x62 data is in the low 40 000psi due to older rifles still kicking around . my rifle is a sako 85 . should handle higher preasure easily .also my 9.3x62 has very generous free bore , i,ve seated dummy rounds 150thou out over listed col and still didn't contact the lands. i have no preasure signs , so it should be good :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 06 Aug 2022, 8:42 pm

It’s the air gap in the cartridge that can help keep reduce your pressure spike
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 06 Aug 2022, 8:59 pm

in2anity wrote:It’s the air gap in the cartridge that can help keep reduce your pressure spike

no air gap with my 2209 and 285 mega load . it's compressed as per adi load data . moving my projectiles forward is a effort to fit more powder in for speed , but pull preasure back down . the 285 mega is 50 thou out to the second canalure on the projectile . my 250 barnes tsx load is seated 100 thou out further than adi data to the second canalure . i did a dummy load for this as well ,seated over 200 thou out further and didn't touch the lands . my load for this is 2 gn over listed max with 2208 , but shows no preasure signs . opinions :unknown:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 07 Aug 2022, 12:17 pm

bigrich wrote:
JohnV wrote:I can see some potential because even though ADI powders are the least pressure sensitive there can still be some pressure rise due to extra heat .

their at max, but i've seated out 50 thou further than factory col , which should reduce preasure and allow extra powder. i'm using 67gn of 2209 with lapua 285 "mega" projectiles .9.3x62 data is in the low 40 000psi due to older rifles still kicking around . my rifle is a sako 85 . should handle higher preasure easily .also my 9.3x62 has very generous free bore , i,ve seated dummy rounds 150thou out over listed col and still didn't contact the lands. i have no preasure signs , so it should be good :thumbsup:

Sounds ok to me . Longer freebore will reduce initial chamber pressure but it's not optimal for accuracy chasing however in a 9.3 x 62 shooting at larger game it's not an issue . Some extra knock down velocity is a good thing .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 07 Aug 2022, 12:48 pm

Great minds think alike I been wondering about your pill choice and i thought to myself in the absence of big frontal diameter that you would have in something like a 4570 , a Barnes predictable opener would be my choice in the 9.3. . And the I just read that your useing a Barnes ... how many more sleeps till the hunt ? And I reckon u won’t sleep at all the night before ... you might have to throw down a couple of scotches to stop your mind racing
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 07 Aug 2022, 6:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:Great minds think alike I been wondering about your pill choice and i thought to myself in the absence of big frontal diameter that you would have in something like a 4570 , a Barnes predictable opener would be my choice in the 9.3. . And the I just read that your useing a Barnes ... how many more sleeps till the hunt ? And I reckon u won’t sleep at all the night before ... you might have to throw down a couple of scotches to stop your mind racing

:lol: :lol: no scotches mate , slightly anxious but :D . the 250 barnes was recommended to me by the guide and others who've used them on buff . the lapua mega's are supposed to be a big game projectile as well , but both could prove to hard for pigs . i'm thinking about loading some 270gn speer hot cores that are a milder load i use for big game comp at ssaa ripley . the speer's are a bit more frangiable .
actually i was out there today doing the comp and getting some practice with the full power 285 load . it's very accurate and i did well in the comp . of the bench that load will shoot cloverleafs at 100 :D
with regards to preasure signs, i got some of the other fellas to have a look at my fired brass, and the primers look good , with a very slight extractor mark in the case base . i don't think i'll have load issues in the territory , but i'll try to keep my ammo cool as possible anyway . once i've got my trophy buff , it's shooting big boars and whatever else comes along . the 270 speer might be a better general purpose projectile . if only i could get 285 round nose woodleighs ... :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 07 Aug 2022, 7:01 pm

Sounds all good like you have it sorted and are well prepared
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 07 Aug 2022, 7:23 pm

It’ll be fine BR you’ve done your research.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Aug 2022, 7:40 pm

thanks fellas, for all the advice and well wishes :thumbsup: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 08 Aug 2022, 10:20 am

The lugs won't let go on a Sako85 with 09 and your pill - after all they are a triple aren't they? And they also have a gas cut on the face too don't they? That's where the gas will flow in if the case fails... down the side of the bolt.
Last edited by in2anity on 08 Aug 2022, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 08 Aug 2022, 3:27 pm

in2anity wrote:The lugs won't let go on a Sako85 with 09 and your pill - they are a triple aren't they? And they also have a gas cut on the face too don't they? That's where the gas will flow in if the case fails... down the side of the bolt.

yes to all of the above .tell ya, it's easy to get caught out with loading . i went to load my 270 speer load , then realized by the sixth case the load was developed in lapua and rws brass , where i was loading the norma cases i'd been using for my other loads . hmm, shouldn't mater . or would it ? weighed a prepped norma case , 185.4 gn . lapua 196gn , rws 199gn averaged over five cases per brand . not wanting to tempt fate , i put the loaded norma rounds aside and went back to rws brass for this particular load . the loaded norma will be a "soft" load , which is preferable to a hot one . the norma load will get used at a rifle comp now :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 09 Aug 2022, 8:40 am

bigrich wrote:weighed a prepped norma case , 185.4 gn . lapua 196gn , rws 199gn averaged over five cases per brand . not wanting to tempt fate , i put the loaded norma rounds aside and went back to rws brass for this particular load . the loaded norma will be a "soft" load , which is preferable to a hot one . the norma load will get used at a rifle comp now :roll:

TBH I haven't loaded much Norma brass - but I haven't noticed much difference in volume between Lap and Norma (and ADI) - all are thick with lower volume than say Winchester. We just use Winchester whenever we want to hotrod because of the larger volume - a bit more room for powder for bipod novelty shooting with heavier, unlimited weight pills. Otherwise, I always just treat the first three as the same pressure - but obviously group the headstamp per stage.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 09 Aug 2022, 5:42 pm

in2anity wrote:
bigrich wrote:weighed a prepped norma case , 185.4 gn . lapua 196gn , rws 199gn averaged over five cases per brand . not wanting to tempt fate , i put the loaded norma rounds aside and went back to rws brass for this particular load . the loaded norma will be a "soft" load , which is preferable to a hot one . the norma load will get used at a rifle comp now :roll:

TBH I haven't loaded much Norma brass - but I haven't noticed much difference in volume between Lap and Norma (and ADI) - all are thick with lower volume than say Winchester. We just use Winchester whenever we want to hotrod because of the larger volume - a bit more room for powder for bipod novelty shooting with heavier, unlimited weight pills. Otherwise, I always just treat the first three as the same pressure - but obviously group the headstamp per stage.

Yeah, the weight is a indication of case volume at a guess. I’ve played it safe and loaded known developed loads with the relative brass. Long way to go for a hunt to find I screwed up ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2022, 6:03 pm

Regarding screwing up a hunt. I did that. Navigating tollly stuffed me on a huge block. And it was a three day drive to get there. Never again will I make that mistake... it also made me think about other things that could go wrong. So Now I’m very fussy about planning so that I can’t come u done like that again. I want all my bases covered ,, when you are guided I guess there’s less to worry about. I guess heat management hats blisters and boots are very critical ... maybe spare boots too CD b a good idea. I staked my foot on a hunt on cape York at least a decade ago. That pulled me up big time. Too much barefoot bow hunting
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 09 Aug 2022, 6:30 pm

Blr243 wrote:Regarding screwing up a hunt. I did that. Navigating tollly stuffed me on a huge block. And it was a three day drive to get there. Never again will I make that mistake... it also made me think about other things that could go wrong. So Now I’m very fussy about planning so that I can’t come u done like that again. I want all my bases covered ,, when you are guided I guess there’s less to worry about. I guess heat management hats blisters and boots are very critical ... maybe spare boots too CD b a good idea. I staked my foot on a hunt on cape York at least a decade ago. That pulled me up big time. Too much barefoot bow hunting

Yeah, I wanted to wear my work steel caps for general travelling (really comfortable Oliver boot) and pack my hunting boots in my bag . Not enough room in my bag unfortunately. I normally take both pair of boots on a trip where I’m driving. I like to have a spare pair of boots too. Flying with firearms and ammunition was no drama . Bistro at the tavern tonight, heading out six hours south west of Darwin tomorrow. I’ll find out whether or not the climate affects my loads soon enough :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Aug 2022, 9:04 pm

I Used to wear Oliver’s. Very comfy. I hunted the cape in august once. Surprising how warm it can be up there even those bris is still bloody cold. Even at that time of yea I struggled to find drinking water on a creek walk once. A mate who used to hunt the cape with me reckons the N T is significantly hotter ... good luck on your trip
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 09 Aug 2022, 9:54 pm

Getting a few extra ft/lb rather than reliability is not the way to go. The buff don't know the difference.

I had some loads that were on the upper end with my 375 H&H and low and behold, a change in case brand resulted in a sticky bolt.

You don't want a sticky bolt when buff shooting
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 10 Aug 2022, 6:04 am

animalpest wrote:Getting a few extra ft/lb rather than reliability is not the way to go. The buff don't know the difference.

I had some loads that were on the upper end with my 375 H&H and low and behold, a change in case brand resulted in a sticky bolt.

You don't want a sticky bolt when buff shooting

Definitely not. Dangerous game is not something I’d take risks with. If I come up this way again I might just borrow my guides 375 H&H for the trophy buff, and bring my 30-06 for everything else . I’m really liking my 30-06 as a do it all for southern Queensland . It’s overkill for some stuff but it reaches out with authority over my 7-08 :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 10 Aug 2022, 6:06 am

Blr243 wrote:I Used to wear Oliver’s. Very comfy. I hunted the cape in august once. Surprising how warm it can be up there even those bris is still bloody cold. Even at that time of yea I struggled to find drinking water on a creek walk once. A mate who used to hunt the cape with me reckons the N T is significantly hotter ... good luck on your trip

Thanks for the well wishes. Climate wise, it’s like a mild Brisbane summer day at the moment. No humidity, it’s a dry heat. Less likely to affect my loads methinks :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 11 Aug 2022, 7:58 pm

Yeah, not hot this time of year. Nice and warm
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2