300 Blackout stabilization ?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

300 Blackout stabilization ?

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Aug 2022, 9:26 pm

Not my forte gents, but,,,,,,,,,,

In a standard Ruger American with 16" threaded 1:7 barrel using 220 gr sub ammo ,,,,,,,,
Any foreseeable or inherent problems ? :problem:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: 300 Blackout stabilization ?

Post by bladeracer » 26 Aug 2022, 10:27 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Not my forte gents, but,,,,,,,,,,

In a standard Ruger American with 16" threaded 1:7 barrel using 220 gr sub ammo ,,,,,,,,
Any foreseeable or inherent problems ? :problem:

None at all, long heavy bullets at very low velocities is what the BLK was designed around.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 27 Aug 2022, 6:31 am

My 300 AAC is a Remington 1-7 twist shoots 220 pills fine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 27 Aug 2022, 7:06 am

As Blade and BLR have eluded to mate, absolutely no issues at all, the 1:7 in the blackout is designed for it.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Aug 2022, 4:12 pm

Thanks for the input fellas.
It is as I thought,, that all the above were meant to go together.
My problem is when attempting to sight it in yesterday I found that it is consistently inconsistent.

At 75 meters it was spraying em everywhere, ie: 4" any which way.

> Fire one shot and impacts 4" to the left
> 10 clicks to the right
> Fire one more shot, and impacts 4" to the left and 2" high
> Leave the elevation as is and adjust windage 5 clicks to the right
> Fire another round, and impacts 3 1/2" to the left and 2" low.

Checked all mounts / tensions etc but nothing loose.
The rifle itself has only had just on 40 rnds through it from new.
The scope is a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50 that I bought brand new, and worked perfectly on a 223 until swapping to the 300 Blk Out
It's never been dropped or abused.

If it wasn't so erratic, it would simply be a matter of feeding rounds through it and adjusting till zeroed.
But the way it is, I could spend a fortune on bullets, and still not get any results.
I'm not trying to achieve millimeter precision, in fact I'd be happy with a consistent 2" grouping (pigs aint a tiny target)
But it simply isn't consistent.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2022, 7:40 pm

Are you saying it won't group better than 4" at 75m?
Are the holes in the target nice and circular?
Does the rifle group other ammo better than this stuff?
Does the rifle have iron sights or do you have another scope and mount you can try?

Die Judicii wrote:Thanks for the input fellas.
It is as I thought,, that all the above were meant to go together.
My problem is when attempting to sight it in yesterday I found that it is consistently inconsistent.

At 75 meters it was spraying em everywhere, ie: 4" any which way.

> Fire one shot and impacts 4" to the left
> 10 clicks to the right
> Fire one more shot, and impacts 4" to the left and 2" high
> Leave the elevation as is and adjust windage 5 clicks to the right
> Fire another round, and impacts 3 1/2" to the left and 2" low.

Checked all mounts / tensions etc but nothing loose.
The rifle itself has only had just on 40 rnds through it from new.
The scope is a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12 x 50 that I bought brand new, and worked perfectly on a 223 until swapping to the 300 Blk Out
It's never been dropped or abused.

If it wasn't so erratic, it would simply be a matter of feeding rounds through it and adjusting till zeroed.
But the way it is, I could spend a fortune on bullets, and still not get any results.
I'm not trying to achieve millimeter precision, in fact I'd be happy with a consistent 2" grouping (pigs aint a tiny target)
But it simply isn't consistent.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Aug 2022, 9:08 pm

Yeah Mate that's exactly what I'm sayin.
The scope is good,,, no doubts there.
The projectiles are not tumbling. (perfectly pierced holes every time)

I've purchased a Limbsaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel De-Resonator (adjustable barrel tuner) which I'm hoping will fix the problem,
otherwise there will be one Ruger rifle up for sale. :lol: :lol:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 27 Aug 2022, 9:39 pm

Something not right there. I can stabilize 220grain BT energetics in a 1:10 barrel at 900fps.

If it was a stabilisation problem let me tell you this. I've had bullets sideways on some barrels at very low velocities, but even keyholing the target I can get a 2" group at 50m.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 28 Aug 2022, 11:00 am

Die Judicii wrote:Yeah Mate that's exactly what I'm sayin.
The scope is good,,, no doubts there.
The projectiles are not tumbling. (perfectly pierced holes every time)

I've purchased a Limbsaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel De-Resonator (adjustable barrel tuner) which I'm hoping will fix the problem,
otherwise there will be one Ruger rifle up for sale. :lol: :lol:

Four-inches at 75m with a scoped bolt-action rifle is extreme. That's what makes me think it's more likely an issue with the rifle or scope than the cartridge. The bullets are stable, they're just not accompanying each other down range. With factory ammo it's difficult to rule out the ammo unless you can test it in another rifle that is known to shoot well. With the limited choices of subsonic BLK ammo it's also difficult to try a different subsonic load without making your own.

Have you tried any other ammo to confirm that something will actually shoot well in the rifle?
Did you mount the rings on the rail and then mount the scope in them or did you simply demount the scope from one rifle and mount it on this one? Do both rifles have a one-piece rail or does one have separate bases? Can you put it back on the .223 and confirm nothing has changed?
Are you shooting off a bag or a bipod?
Have you confirmed that the forend is not making contact with the barrel?
Have you tried cycling some rounds through the action to ensure the feed system is not damaging the bullets in some way?
Do you have any kind of muzzle device that could be upsetting the bullet as it leaves the muzzle?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 28 Aug 2022, 1:04 pm

Some people are totally whacky about this barrel vibration business. Just how much difference do you think barrel vibration might possibly make?
As Bladeracer suggested try some other factory ammo in the rifle and see how that performs.
A preliminary alternative is to dry fire off a sand bag with the scope cranked up to it's highest power. What you are looking for is that there is no (or very little) movement of the crosshairs at the instant when the firing pin drops.
Are there any buzzes or rattles (other than the magazine follower) when you dry fire?
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Aug 2022, 5:54 pm

Haven't had a chance to try any of the suggestions yet fellas
I have got other brands and configurations (both sub and normal) of ammo that I can experiment with but flat out on other things for the next few days.
The scope is sitting on a one piece Leupold rail whereas on the 223 it was two piece bases.
The barrel is well and truly free floated.
And, shooting off bags.

Methinks I'll wait till the tuners turn up, and then play with the different ammo before trying them out.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 29 Aug 2022, 7:13 am

This is one of those problems that is hard to diagnose unless you have the gun in your own hands . My rough guess at this point is the scope mount could be bad and putting the scope in a bind . If you have a shot saver or can borrow one fit it to the muzzle and then crank the power setting up and down . If the crosshair wavers away from the one single point as power goes up and down it's in a bind . I would not add any more accessories as that can just add more potential variables . Change one thing at a time and retest .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 29 Aug 2022, 8:39 am

Screams ammo problem to me. Also what if you shoot a group without "chasing your tail" (stop adjusting the sights continuously)?
Last edited by in2anity on 29 Aug 2022, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Boundry Rider » 29 Aug 2022, 8:47 am

Track test the scope: 8 clicks left then 3 shot group, repeat for 8 clicks down, then right then up. Should return to original POI. Only shoot on one zoom per full cycle of test, don’t touch the zoom whilst testing.

I had a leupold that wouldn’t track, wasted a lot of ammo trying to solve that problem.

Spend 12 rounds confirming your optic is less frustrating than finding out later.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 30 Aug 2022, 1:11 am

So 8 clicks
Might work at 1000 but I doubt it .
Jmo
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2022, 8:03 am

deye243 wrote:So 8 clicks
Might work at 1000 but I doubt it .
Jmo

Yeah, for a rifle that groups 4" at 75m you're going to want a lot more than that to be able recognise a difference at the target. I prefer 60 clicks up and left, 120 clicks down, 120 clicks right, 120 clicks up, then 60 clicks left and down to get back to zero. If the groups are under an inch at 50m then you should be able to see that it's tracking as it should.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 30 Aug 2022, 8:29 am

True, 8 clicks was to sort out my HMR rimfire at 100Y. Should go more click value for a 30cal
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics