Segmented 22LR ammo

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Segmented 22LR ammo

Post by Boundry Rider » 04 Sep 2022, 5:24 pm

So my 22 is always zeroed for hollowpoint subs I use for my pest control work, but they're a bit too soft for fast kills on larger quarry than parrots and lorikeets. I've been trying out other subsonic 22 ammo with a more aggressive projectile because if I find a good bunny buster sub projectile then I dont need a holdunder zero using supersonic ammo.

Well this CCI segmented subsonic 40G copper washed zeroes at the same as my hollowpoint subs do I went out and KO'd a few bunnies an autopsied them in the name of research.
I shot 5, two head shots (one at 35Y and another at 65Y) were like theyd been hit with a 17HMR varmint round. Bang flop. 3 chest/shoulder shot were from 40Y to 80Y and none had any exit wounds, all 3 again bang flop accompanied by the signature pop noise of a good solid hit. After skin removal all 3 showing similar damage to a 30-30 hit on a heavy animal. Proper massive internal damage without the explosive meat bruising expected from a supersomic or larger calibre round, enabling meat retreival if required.

Here is a pic of a projectile that I put in the vice and pressed up against a same sized ball bearing to simulate impact performance.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220904-150041_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220904-150041_Gallery.jpg (138.85 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Segmented 22LR ammo

Post by mchughcb » 04 Sep 2022, 6:51 pm

Been using CCI segmented hollow points for the last couple of years on rabbits and they work well. Not as emphatic as my 17HMR but a darn lot quieter.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 04 Sep 2022, 7:01 pm

Far different results than I had on feral pigeons. Mind you mine were the 710fps jobs.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 04 Sep 2022, 7:16 pm

I don’t own a 22 lr. But I do own a 22 mag. And after seeing this topic I wondered if they are avail for my rifle. So did a quick search. Yes. 1875 FPS. So I’ll make an effort to source some seeing as I have just set up my marlin 22. Mag with a new red led torch
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 04 Sep 2022, 8:15 pm

bigpete wrote:Far different results than I had on feral pigeons. Mind you mine were the 710fps jobs.

Advertised at 1050 fps but across the chrony these went 985fps, about 10Y from the muzzle. They are very quiet, not as quiet as 710fps ammo though.
I haven’t tried them on birds yet, pigeons and crows are next. Not sure how the quick expansion will cut through heavy wing feathers, might have to go for the breast or back shot opportunity.

One thing on the bunnies, the entry point is just a pinhole. Hard to find without skinning the carcass.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 06 Sep 2022, 6:07 pm

The 710fps segmented work very well on birds. You may find the first shot from a cold barrel is lower than subsequent rounds though.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Sep 2022, 6:41 pm

Boundry Rider wrote:
bigpete wrote:Far different results than I had on feral pigeons. Mind you mine were the 710fps jobs.

Advertised at 1050 fps but across the chrony these went 985fps, about 10Y from the muzzle. They are very quiet, not as quiet as 710fps ammo though.
I haven’t tried them on birds yet, pigeons and crows are next. Not sure how the quick expansion will cut through heavy wing feathers, might have to go for the breast or back shot opportunity.

One thing on the bunnies, the entry point is just a pinhole. Hard to find without skinning the carcass.

I found they didn't expand bugger all,every pigeon I shot with them flew off to fall out the sky 50m later
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by animalpest » 06 Sep 2022, 9:10 pm

I have done a few necropsies on birds to see how they expand. Most have 3 holes out the back of them.

Shooting birds such as pigeons and corellas etc can make you wonder why some drop dead while others fly off.

If you hit them straight in the heart they drop like a stone. Chest shots they will generally fly a distance.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by deye243 » 07 Sep 2022, 1:43 am

Boundry Rider wrote:So my 22 is always zeroed for hollowpoint subs I use for my pest control work, but they're a bit too soft for fast kills on larger quarry than parrots and lorikeets. I've been trying out other subsonic 22 ammo with a more aggressive projectile because if I find a good bunny buster sub projectile then I dont need a holdunder zero using supersonic ammo.

Well this CCI segmented subsonic 40G copper washed zeroes at the same as my hollowpoint subs do I went out and KO'd a few bunnies an autopsied them in the name of research.
I shot 5, two head shots (one at 35Y and another at 65Y) were like theyd been hit with a 17HMR varmint round. Bang flop. 3 chest/shoulder shot were from 40Y to 80Y and none had any exit wounds, all 3 again bang flop accompanied by the signature pop noise of a good solid hit. After skin removal all 3 showing similar damage to a 30-30 hit on a heavy animal. Proper massive internal damage without the explosive meat bruising expected from a supersomic or larger calibre round, enabling meat retreival if required.

Here is a pic of a projectile that I put in the vice and pressed up against a same sized ball bearing to simulate impact performance.

Happy to see they have changed the composition of the projectile 10 or so years ago when I tried this load it was no better than the Winchester 40 grain hollow point Subsonic .
I was hoping it would be a good load to shoot around the sheds on the farm , turned out it wasn't after it went through a rabbit side of the tin shed went through the tyre wall of a 4WD tyre so it was no good for me .
For me it was the old stuff in the cardboard box unfortunately I still have 5.
Screenshot_20220907-014720_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220907-014720_Gallery.jpg (491.24 KiB) Viewed 1643 times

I went back to good old reliable 40 grain Vmax in the 223 at just on 4000 feet per second aim for the centre and nothing came out the back.
It would spray the shed but nothing went in the shed its all about projectile choice.
The hardest part is when you leave your own farm and try to educate another farmer they have no idea.
It is like talking to a greeny with all the falsehoods and bulls**t there been told their entire life.
You know oh my son shot a deer in the head at 300 yards with a 22 if it happened it was probably more like 50 yards I know it sounds strange hay ( I seen my son shoot a fox at 197y i am still jealous that I wasn't the trigger puller 22lr Aus made sub from the old white box)
Last edited by deye243 on 07 Sep 2022, 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 07 Sep 2022, 2:08 am

This was just pried open with a 1.5 mm Allen key.
20220907_015948.jpg
20220907_015948.jpg (153.44 KiB) Viewed 1642 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 07 Sep 2022, 6:34 am

Works fine but too expensive and not stellar accuracy in my gun.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Boundry Rider » 07 Sep 2022, 8:43 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dG6CuQ70S0I

Watching this review, there’s a lot of difference between the sub and super sonic impact performance, and I’d guess that the supersonic rounds will be much more susceptible to over penetration.

On the 5 bunnies I took so far the only stray projectile would have been the one I took out the top of the eye socket head shot, the other head shot and chest shots (and 2 were only half grown) were all nil exit. I’d say due to being subs.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics