bertram 174gn 303 bullets

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

bertram 174gn 303 bullets

Post by bigrich » 02 Oct 2022, 3:15 pm

hey guys, as the post title says, looking for info and opinions on these projectiles with regards to accuracy and game performance :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: bertram 174gn 303 bullets

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Oct 2022, 5:13 pm

Accurate enough for hunting, OK on targets out to 4-500 yards. Work as well as any other lead soft point. Good value for money.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Oct 2022, 5:38 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Accurate enough for hunting, OK on targets out to 4-500 yards. Work as well as any other lead soft point. Good value for money.

thanks for your reply and insight mate :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 02 Oct 2022, 5:45 pm

Have a look at bladeracers post about "303 shooting" a bit further down the page, he bought some of Bruce's projies and did a comparison between them, Scott Drivers HP/FB and Hornady. has some good info. I have used them on pigs with good results from a sporter No1.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Oct 2022, 6:35 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Have a look at bladeracers post about "303 shooting" a bit further down the page, he bought some of Bruce's projies and did a comparison between them, Scott Drivers HP/FB and Hornady. has some good info. I have used them on pigs with good results from a sporter No1.

thanks mate . i feel kinda silly i didn't notice blades post..... ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2022, 7:24 pm

bigrich wrote:hey guys, as the post title says, looking for info and opinions on these projectiles with regards to accuracy and game performance :thumbsup:

A mate and I bought 1000 each for .303 and I've fired over 100 so far in testing.
Having no issues with them regarding feeding or accuracy, in the SMLE's, which are not accurate rifles anyway, haven't really tested them in the No.4 yet. I'd like to try them in a modern .308 to see what they're really capable of.

I've also tried other bullets and consider the Hornady 150gn SP and 174gn FMJ to be a little more accurate, I haven't tried the SMK yet or any brass bullets.
If you're hunting with an SMLE, No.4, or No.5 then you already know not to expect minute-accuracy out of them. From a rest I wouldn't expect better than three or four minutes at 100m with any of these rifles, though a good scope mount might improve it a little. I was using a no-drill mount which I would not consider reliable enough for hunting.

Haven't used them on game as the rifles are too heavy to lug around the bush.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 02 Oct 2022, 8:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:hey guys, as the post title says, looking for info and opinions on these projectiles with regards to accuracy and game performance :thumbsup:

A mate and I bought 1000 each for .303 and I've fired over 100 so far in testing.
Having no issues with them regarding feeding or accuracy, in the SMLE's, which are not accurate rifles anyway, haven't really tested them in the No.4 yet. I'd like to try them in a modern .308 to see what they're really capable of.

I've also tried other bullets and consider the Hornady 150gn SP and 174gn FMJ to be a little more accurate, I haven't tried the SMK yet or any brass bullets.
If you're hunting with an SMLE, No.4, or No.5 then you already know not to expect minute-accuracy out of them. From a rest I wouldn't expect better than three or four minutes at 100m with any of these rifles, though a good scope mount might improve it a little. I was using a no-drill mount which I would not consider reliable enough for hunting.

Haven't used them on game as the rifles are too heavy to lug around the bush.

check my post on martini 7x57R blade (i must change the title of the post as i stayed with 303 :roll: ) , i've had really good luck with 150 speers . i'm heading out tomorrow to test some 174 RN hornadys . i'm not going hot with my loads just yet as this is a 142 year old rifle i'm playing with :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2022, 1:56 am

bigrich wrote:check my post on martini 7x57R blade (i must change the title of the post as i stayed with 303 :roll: ) , i've had really good luck with 150 speers . i'm heading out tomorrow to test some 174 RN hornadys . i'm not going hot with my loads just yet as this is a 142 year old rifle i'm playing with :thumbsup:

I have been following the thread, it's a beautiful little rifle that would be magic in the bush.
I would expect better accuracy from the Martini than an SMLE, but still a step down from a modern floated barrel.
Be interesting to see how the Bertram's group from it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 05 Oct 2022, 7:33 am

No1Mk3 wrote:OK on targets out to 4-500 yards.

Just curious, by "OK" you mean holding the ICFRA 5 ring out to 500yds... but not 600yds? Honest question - my 174gr SMK stocks are drying up...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2022, 10:52 am

in2anity wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:OK on targets out to 4-500 yards.

Just curious, by "OK" you mean holding the ICFRA 5 ring out to 500yds... but not 600yds? Honest question - my 174gr SMK stocks are drying up...

Have you tried the Hornady 174gn FMJ?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics